X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: mirror, mirror

Looking for a crappy 1968 rear view mirror stalk. no sense looking for a nice one because it would not be as nice as i want anyway..........
    Thank You and Happy New Year!!!!
    bob

well...no need to go for a crappy 68 stalk... many mercedes use this stalk even the ones with rubberized surface will work...take off the rubber and voila ...the surface is usually like the skin of a new born baby you may need to trim off a bit excess material from casting..
    or go for the chromed version and give it a medium blast for frosted `68 looks...

but if you still want a crappy 68...pm me

Comment

thanks for that advice....
      I found a 1969 Mercedes stalk. It is the exact same in every way and has that very interesting finish. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1476.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	9274

Comment

It’s 95% IMO. From the Mercedes mirrors I’ve had, the profile of the arm is slightly different. It’s a good compromise though.

Comment

I don't know were/how you are basing your comparison.
          In the picture above. one of the arms came from Jim Braziel.
          The other came from ebay mercedies site
          It was shown with a 1962 220S i believe.
          They have 100% exact shape and finish in every way.
          So, either jim has given me a mercedies piece or the ebay seller gave me a porsche part if you are correct

Comment

Basing it on first hand work, not your photo above. I went through the very same exercise with the Mercedes mirrors. Picked up some and stripped them of the rubber coatings and compared to a 68 911 mirror I had. Thought I might lightly media blast them and have them plated but, never did.

The mirror stems I had were very close but noticeably different. I sold them on ESR. Pictures are there.

Comment

Couldn’t tell you the exact Mercedes model mine came off of. One or two came from local boneyards and a couple off EBay ages ago. For sure they were the rubber coated version. I also bought some BMW break away mirrors to play with. Same mirror manufacturer though the bases are smaller and the stems longer and thinner.

Comment

Yes...On the mercedes ebay site there are many variations of the "same" mirror.
                there are rubber ones
                there are chrome ones
                there are ones finished as mine is.........
                And the same is true for the mirror part of the piece
                The one in the picture above is the original mercedes finish, Not a stripped down or modified piece.

Comment

Working...
                X