X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: Replacement Glass for 1968-71 Large Durant Mirrors

Back at the old hang there was a thread about replacing the glass in our large Durant mirrors and I mentioned I was having some correct glass cut. A couple people reached out to inquire about getting some extras cut before I was put on the naughty list so I figured I'd list them here. My glass guy told me $25 each or $18 if I bought 50 so I bought 50 and I'm not trying to profit on these.

$18 each and $5.00 for first class shipping or up to three safely packed in a small priority mail box for $8.25.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mirrors 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.2 KB ID:	298
    JP
    aka LiveFromNY
    Last edited by JP; 04-20-2022, 03:57 PM.

Hi JP,

which diameter are these? Looking for my 333 Talbots.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk07 View Post
      Hi JP,

which diameter are these? Looking for my 333 Talbots.

Welcome, Dirk.

116mm diameter and 3mm thick. Too big for the 333's I'm thinking?

Comment

Hi John,

Great timing as I need to replace the mirror on my original large Durant mirror. I will take four of them. Please let me know how you would like to complete the sale/transaction.

Best,
        Ravi

Comment

Originally posted by rgupta250 View Post
          Hi John,

Great timing as I need to replace the mirror on my original large Durant mirror. I will take four of them. Please let me know how you would like to complete the sale/transaction.

Best,
          Ravi
          Perfect, Ravi. Gives me a chance to test the PM system. Incoming...

Comment

JP, I’ll take 1. Let me know the total and I’ll get funds out.

As a side note, any idea where to get the seal that goes behind the glass?

Stretch

Comment

Originally posted by Stretch32 View Post
              JP, I’ll take 1. Let me know the total and I’ll get funds out.

Stretch
              Gotcha covered. PM incoming...

And welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Stretch32 View Post
                Just noticed your question. And, my answer is no. But I'm not sure that it's actually a seal. I think it might be there to provide a little cushion and hold the glass tight while also preventing the glass from breaking when pressed against the metal mirror housing. These are easy to break on install. Here's what I do.

1. To remove the old mirror and black trim ring, break the mirror and remove the pieces. You can then carefully pry out the trim ring more easily using a pick.

2. If you still have the black "seal", insert it in the mirror housing and use a little adhesive to hold it in place. More likely, the seal is missing or no good. In that case, take a tube of clear RTV silicon and place several tiny drops along the inner edge of the mirror housing where the glass will touch the metal. 6 or 8 drops will do it and the goal is to provide some cushion for the mirror when it's being installed.

3. Place the mirror in the housing.

4. Lubricate the trim ring with a water-based lubricant and carefully press into place but NOT all the way. Maybe 80% of the way in.

5. At this point the trim ring should be just touching the glass but the glass should still be adjustable. Use your thumbs to press on the glass and carefully slide and adjust it until the mirror is centered in the trim ring which has a small cutaway for the glass. If you don't center the glass to the trim ring, you're likely to break it.

6. Finish pressing in the mirror. I sometimes wrap the mirror in a soft towel and use a small vice at the mirror edge for the final pressing in of the ring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mirror.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.0 KB ID:	1773
                JP
                aka LiveFromNY
                Last edited by JP; 05-11-2022, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I would like one. PM sent.

Comment

I would also like one.
                    thank you.
                    PM sent.

Comment

I take one too , please , let me know total and how to pay

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by montos View Post
                        I take one too , please , let me know total and how to pay

thank you
                        Sure shoot me a pm.

Comment

My email : montos@me.com

Comment

Originally posted by montos View Post
                            My email : montos@me.com
                            Please send me a PM.

Comment

Thanks JP ... Received mirror. Fits perfect and is beautiful....

Comment

Working...
                              X