Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muffler tips at prototype stage (still...)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler tips at prototype stage (still...)

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0290.jpg Views:	108 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	136
    We're still at the prototype stage on the muffler tips Trying to get the dimples corrected and a slightly thinner brass as well, as we are currently too thick of material. The square tip has come out great on all 3, and we are using the original tooling from the first runs, but in a factory now that we can get a more reasonable MOQ (minimum order quantity). I'll keep ya posted! I'll make 2 diameters trying to cover the 3 or 4 versions of the mufflers that are out there (used and new) Thanks for your patience.

E
    www.autoforeignservices.com
    ADMIN
    Administrator
    Last edited by ADMIN; 05-09-2022, 05:41 PM.
    Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

autoforeign@gmail.com
    67S's......

So badly needed. Hey, if you could, I'd appreciate a 10-day head's up prior to release so I can sell off my NOS muffler tips before you crash the market!

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post
      So badly needed. Hey, if you could, I'd appreciate a 10-day head's up prior to release so I can sell off my NOS muffler tips before you crash the market!
      You mean those ones that you bought from the first run that you are telling people are "nos".....

autoforeign@gmail.com
      67S's......

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post

You mean those ones that you bought from the first run that you are telling people are "nos".....
        LOL! If I did that it was certainly unintentional. And also 100% your fault. If you didn't make parts that were indistinguishable from NOS we wouldn't have a problem!

Comment

count me in for one large and one narrow diameter

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0290.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	136 We're still at the prototype stage on the muffler tips Trying to get the dimples corrected and a slightly thinner brass as well, as we are currently too thick of material. The square tip has come out great on all 3, and we are using the original tooling from the first runs, but in a factory now that we can get a more reasonable MOQ (minimum order quantity). I'll keep ya posted! I'll make 2 diameters trying to cover the 3 or 4 versions of the mufflers that are out there (used and new) Thanks for your patience.

E
            Hope my last one, as produced by you previously, was of some help

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post

Hope my last one, as produced by you previously, was of some help
              Indeed, thank you!!!

autoforeign@gmail.com
              67S's......

Comment

soterik
                HTH....!
                soterik, I'm interested in one of the muffler tips for my 1972 911T - JP recommended I reach out to you. I'm not sure what diameter I'd need, but I can go take measurements with some pointers. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by twilbur View Post
                  soterik
                  HTH....!
                  soterik, I'm interested in one of the muffler tips for my 1972 911T - JP recommended I reach out to you. I'm not sure what diameter I'd need, but I can go take measurements with some pointers. Thanks!
                  At this point it isn't necessary to reach out to me. I'm "still" waiting for an update. When I do get these (heaven knows when, I certainly don't), I will have enough for all those who have inquired and then some. It took me a couple of years to sell out of the first run, and am attempting to make 2 versions which will essentially "cover" everyone, and enough to keep them in stock for a few years.

I will update this thread as I get more information. It is staggeringly difficult to get parts made at this time. I've discussed this with multiple people who are in manufacturing of various products (not necessarily for our cars) and we all agree that the world has changed. As an example, I'm not making the roof racks again as the cost to manufacture them has literally quadrupled since my first run... and chroming has tripled.

E

autoforeign@gmail.com
                  67S's......

Comment

Received in yet another prototype from Tennessee (yes...), but the dimples are too large (and too deep), but the square end is great.

I also went through a few boxes this weekend and found 2 nos old muffler tips (I couldn't find in the past) which will be great reference material for the current and next prototype . . Going through old boxes is kinda like my own personal swap meet... I'm sure Frank and others understand. . So, we're semi-close.

The reference pic below shows an NOS one in the middle, my Dansk version on the left, and my Leistritz/Bischoff OEM version on the right. The Dansk has to have a much deeper angle as the bend is sharper on them, and the outlet is also then shorter. Dansk is also slightly larger on inside diameter.

An interesting note from my plater was that the oem nos ones I have are simple "flash" chromed over brass. I did triple chrome over brass, which does look nicer up close, but honestly standing 3 feet from them on a table you can't tell it's any nicer chrome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3974.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	3267

autoforeign@gmail.com
                    67S's......

Comment

Ok, I've got a final sample I can work with! Just received in (from Tennessee) while I was in Italy... a final prototype that I've approved. This is the version for the mufflers that have an outlet pipe that's 60mm (+/-), and some of those have a shorter outlet pipe as well. They will fit an OEM Bischoff or Leistritz just fine as well if you swell the outlet pipe slightly.

Pic of this latest sample and an NOS one side by side. Note that this version is the one that I made the most of in the past, and had the largest demand for as it fits the later produced aftermarket mufflers best (Dansk, Porsche etc).

So, how long? I have no clue. When the boxes show up... I'll know. Then off to the local chrome shop who does all my chrome work.

Nope... no 912 version will be made. Click image for larger version

Name:	20221118_140228.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	8548

autoforeign@gmail.com
                      67S's......

Comment

Working...
                      X