X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flatsixer View Post
    Nice update. apart from the exhaust tip, check that your trunk seal is well placed and doing its job. I've had this problem on several cars and amazing as it sounds exhaust fumes were being sucked by a leaking trunk seal.
    Cant wait to hear more about Schtroumpf!
    Thanks for the tip (pun intended)... The Alfaholics guys said the trunk / boot seal is a key issue with the 4-door 105 Alfa... but not really on the 101... the idea being batted around is that back in the day, these cars with the power they had, probably weren't "cruising" at 80-85 MPH on a motorway, so probably wasn't an issue with a little 1300 running on back roads up and down through the gears or with the top up on a motorway cruise... I'm sure we will figure it out... It is always something...

Comment

• haul
      haul
      it´s easy on a triumph
      haul commented
      Editing a comment
      yep, always something, just last thursday morning, we blew the headgasket on our giulia while towing the caravan on a steep road in the alps off the camp site just after start……..took some 250km until we noticed on restart some lots of white smoke and rising temp of the water cooling system….we made it home securely adding sufficiant demineralized water in the cooling system…

• dwa911
      dwa911
      Hasta la vista... Baby
      dwa911 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry to hear that... Glad you spotted it and made it home ok!

• haul
      haul
      it´s easy on a triumph
      haul commented
      Editing a comment
      giulia is very well educated and does not leave us stranded, but as the headgasket is a common issue with the 105 engine, I am quite happy to get it done now, better than later. one thing off the „fear list“
      haul
      it´s easy on a triumph
      Last edited by haul; 09-11-2022, 01:08 PM.

• How's it going with your build?

Comment

• Originally posted by gtBen View Post
      How's it going with your build?
      Hi all... sorry for the delay in posting... after we went to the Netherlands for the shakedown, we both ended up doing a dance with covid - and we are both triple vaccinated - go figure... I got it pretty nasty, and fortunately my wife didn't... lots of chicken soup and rest later, and we are still recovering and not quite 100%, but everyday is better... of course, I just got the notice from the NHS that I'm eligible for a seasonal boost! talk about irony and a little late to the party... After recovering, we had a 24 hour race at Spa Francorchamps in the C1... Ticked off a bucket list item there... Next year's races are posted, and we will do 24 hour races at Silverstone, Spa and Portimao, with a 12 hour at Magna Cours, 8 hour at Zolder and a double 5 hour at Zandvoort... Can't wait!!!

Anyway, the shakedown of Schtroumpf... We were a bit cautious, as the forecast was for rain all weekend, and it certainly rained driving from the start in the UK all through France and Belgium, but as we got closer to the Netherlands and Differs, the sky started to clear and it dried up...

We arrived around 11am, and it was great to see Leon, Joost and Lex (Bas was sadly missing)... We just really love those guys and it is such a pleasure to see them and re-connect, as well as see Schtroumpf... I have to say, in spite of Covid lockdown, and the challenges we've had with some supply chain issues, this has been the most pleasant experience restoring a car we've ever had... Can't wait for our next project... maybe a straight restoration of an early LWB (with a 2.5 or 2.8SS) or a SWB hotrod with a high strung 2.0 or 2.5)... Wait... Did i just write that?!?!?!?!

So, after a couple of coffees and a catch up, we took off for a drive up the coast to Zandvoort, and back - and the road was mostly dry the whole day... Aside from a few minor things that the guys will fine tune, I was blown away... The gearing is spot on, and she just leaps forward with every shift from about 7k - 8k... She is very tractable from about 2k up, and cruising at 130KMH / 81MPH is about 3,800 RPM... and not near as noisy as I expected... except for a bit of wind noise coming from the passenger side leading edge of the door / door frame...

There were some little things... like there was a little occasional bounce on the fuel and oil pressure gauge needles (probably a ground), turn signal wouldn't self cancel, the wipers switch speeds weren't right - 1st was a weird intermittent, but 2 & 3 were spot on, the outside mirror needs tightening, as under hard acceleration it would move inward slightly... other than that, the rest of the discussion was along the lines of what spare tire do we want - decided on a Fuchs with space saver (though I will probably get a spare front 9x15 and 11x15 rear to take to circuit and on long trip - they will fit in the back)... where do we want to mount the window washer reservoir (probably factory AC location), plugging the original reservoir hole with a factory AC rubber plug, fire extinguisher and where to mount, a bracket for the jack and tool kit in the front, so they don't bounce around, final ceramic coating, and Differs will do a photo shoot...

After Saturday's shakedown drive, we had a lovely dinner together at a restaurant near the sea, woke up met the guys at Differs on Sunday, had a coffee, another blast on the same route, and then left Schtroumpf for fine tuning in the afternoon... All in all a great couple of days, and what a gratifying experience to drive after so long... The guys have done a spectacular job!

A few photos of the day near the sea and sand dunes... I continue to be happily surprised and amazed at how different Schtroumpf looks "live" vs photos... photos never seem to capture quite the true colour... and it constantly changes in different sunlight...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shakedown 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.1 KB ID:	8436 Click image for larger version  Name:	shakedown 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.9 KB ID:	8432 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shakedown 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.0 KB ID:	8431 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shakedown 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	8434 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shakedown 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.4 KB ID:	8440 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shakedown 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.8 KB ID:	8437 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shakedown 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.5 KB ID:	8438 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shakedown 9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	244.6 KB ID:	8439 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shakedown 10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.5 KB ID:	8435 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shakedown 11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.3 KB ID:	8433
      dwa911
      Hasta la vista... Baby
      Last edited by dwa911; 11-12-2022, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• Hell of a ride, enjoy!

Comment

• I had covid back in July. The worst part (other than migraine/fever/chills) was that I lost smell/taste at the end and couldn't enjoy my coffee! Glad to see you're on the mend and looking forward to your updates!

Comment

• Originally posted by sebaroher View Post
        I had covid back in July. The worst part (other than migraine/fever/chills) was that I lost smell/taste at the end and couldn't enjoy my coffee! Glad to see you're on the mend and looking forward to your updates!
        Thanks! And glad you've recovered! It was a nasty dance... One I'd like to not repeat...

Comment

• Originally posted by dwa911 View Post

Thanks! And glad you've recovered! It was a nasty dance... One I'd like to not repeat...
          Agreed!

By the way, I forgot to mention, our cars are 20 apart! I own a 21255... an Irish Green 71T

Comment

• Latest update...

Adding a dual AFR and Voltmeter gauge from John (thx John!)

And... the teaser shot Leon sent me from the photo shoot they are doing...

Comment

• Very Sexy!

Comment

• I figured it was time for an update...

The Differs guys sent me a teaser video... Schtroumpf is almost done... Final little details - like rear quarter window decal, ceramic coating... and installing one of John Bell's dual AFR and voltmeter gauge in place of the clock...

Comment

• Awesome!

Comment

• and if anyone was curious about the Alfa (I know it isn't a Porsche) - the Alfaholics guys created a video for us as well...

Comment

• these are two wonderful builts and I really do look forward to see them anytime on the continent…LeMans Classic is approaching.. and italian summer is coming the way….
                erwin_loves_polo

Comment

• dwa911
                  dwa911
                  Hasta la vista... Baby
                  dwa911 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the kind words... Yes... We are planning on taking the 911 to Classic Le Mans... and a road trip in the Alfa through Sicily...

• very nice toys......

Comment

• Love the livery....Amazing project that turned into spectacular automotive jewelry!

Comment

• dwa911
                  dwa911
                  Hasta la vista... Baby
                  dwa911 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the kind words... It has been a long road, but worth it in the end...
              Working...
              X