X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking good.
    did you weld the flattened end of the jack receiver to the interior floor?
    that would be behind the seat rails

Comment

Originally posted by bob joyce View Post
      looking good.
      did you weld the flattened end of the jack receiver to the interior floor?
      that would be behind the seat rails
      Yes, I did. I had to grind the old one out, so there was a slot.

Cheers
      Engelbert

Comment

It's time for a little update.

I mounted the doors, fenders and hood, to make sure all lines up.

Then I found something I didn't like.

The right door was worse then I expected.

There was a lot of body filler and the sheet metal under it was really bad.

So I decided to use another door I had. The good thing is that it already has the mounting hole for the right mirror.

So now that it all fits, I can finish the outer rockers and the door lock supports.

Now I started with the fenders. There was some repair need where they bolt to the body. Here are pictures of the section I welded in new pieces.

I also closed the antenna hole.

The right side fender was pretty good, but the left one had some repair many years ago. Someone filled in a big gap with fiberglass filler. I removed all this stuff so I can fix this section. I want to make this correct, so I ordered new turn signal housings seals to make sure at the end all fits nice.

I will continue on the fender when the seals come in. I also ordered 2 sleeves for the rear torsion bar sections. Since the sleeves are in I can start with that.

I started on the left side and made 2 opening so I have access for cutting and welding.

I welded some braces in, so the tube will not move when I cut the old sleeve out.

I removed all the old section and cleaned up as good as possible. Ready to fit in the new sleeve.

Making a template for the inner section.

Inner section welded in.

Now lining up the new sleeve with the t-bar and spring plate in place, so it will line up OK. Tack weld the sleeve to the tube.

Fitting the outer sheet metal. I had to make it in 2 pieces.

This should be good for another 50 years.

Closed the access holes and this side is done.

The same procedure for the right side.

Next I will go back to fenders.

Cheers
        Engelbert

Comment

nice repair
          it is good practice to keep the weld beads short maybe 1" and allowing to cool to ensure warping but I'm sure you are good.
          the race car guys don't care because everything they bolt on afterwards is adjustable

Comment

Here is another update on the 911:

I decided to cut out the old rear shelf on the 71 911, and fit in the new piece.

On the left side there was some rust and I had to cut out some old metal and made some new pieces to weld in.

I also needed a new section for the fire wall.

At the right side, I removed the reinforcement piece for the roll bar mounting plate. This is what happen after 10 + years in between the 2 sheet metal pieces.

It was only surface rust, and I was able to clean it up.

I opted for the later model shelf since it's a bit higher and will give some extra space in the engine bay.

Cleaning up the original hinge mounts for the deck lid.

When I had the rough position, I drilled some larger holes in the self, so I could move them a bit to make sure they were in the right position for the deck lid hinges.

A few adjustments and the lid did actually fit nice. I had also to make small piece for the section at the left between the self and the window frame.

Here it is all finish welded in.

Here is my collection so far what I have removed. It should not much be added at this point.

Cheers
            Engelbert

Comment

Working...
            X