Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gage can

where can i get these gage cans refinished
    I want to know the name of the factories that do this type Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1393.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	7938 of refinishing

well, are you looking for a new plating or just overall cleaning but preserving the patina and the stamps?

br
    haul
    erwin_loves_polo

Comment

most of the stamps are gone.
      so, i will just have the cans redone and no need to worry about stamps.
      thanks
      bob

Comment

Originally posted by bob joyce View Post
        most of the stamps are gone.
        so, i will just have the cans redone and no need to worry about stamps.
        thanks
        bob
        Can these be powdercoated silver? Forgive my ignorance, but no one should see these once they are installed correct?

Comment

I suppose one could.
          probably the Eastwood silver cad spray paint would be the best bet for just cleaning it up.
          But.... I have been building this car from scratch performing as if it was being rebuilt as new.
          So, I will do what the factory did, providing I can find the refinishing factory.
          Palo Alto and Nirth Hollwood have them refinished. I was trying to not shake their tree.

Comment

I suppose one could.
            probably the Eastwood silver cad spray paint would be the best bet for just cleaning it up.
            But.... I have been building this car from scratch performing as if it was being rebuilt as new.
            So, I will do what the factory did, providing I can find the refinishing factory.
            Palo Alto and Nirth Hollwood have them refinished. I was trying to not shake their tree.
            Check out John Bell. He did the gauges on the "white whale." They turned out great! Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_190741.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	7953 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_190646.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	7954 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_190627.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	7955 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_190555.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	7956 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_190711.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	7957

Comment

so far, I have opened up a few of them and disassembled. I fixed my clock. It was the solder for the points.
              I believe all my gages will work. The problem is that the numbers on the faces are discolored.
              How did he get the numbers back to bright white?

Comment

so far, I have opened up a few of them and disassembled. I fixed my clock. It was the solder for the points.
                I believe all my gages will work. The problem is that the numbers on the faces are discolored.
                How did he get the numbers back to bright white?
                Bob,

The invoice just says "redo face" and "repaint bezels and needles." In addition to doing that, he got my clock going, replaced the driver board in the tach, repaired odometer, and the trip meter. He also swapped out some of gauges (I had some earlier ones from a 68 for some reason) to period correct 71 gauges. All in for a little over $1,000. I don't think you will be able to beat those prices anywhere, let alone with the quality and turnaround time. He also builds custom gauges as well. Let me know if you would like his contact information.

Have a great weekend,

Sebastian
                sebaroher
                Seabass
                Last edited by sebaroher; 10-08-2022, 07:02 AM.

Comment

In preparation for the repair shop. Scrubbed the can down with red scotch bright and metal polish. It produced a very shiny finish. Decided to soda blast and wax.
                  That looks pretty good. i just need to convince myself that it is "good enough". Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1394.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	7974

Comment

In preparation for the repair shop. Scrubbed the can down with red scotch bright and metal polish. It produced a very shiny finish. Decided to soda blast and wax.
                    That looks pretty good. i just need to convince myself that it is "good enough". Click image for larger version Name:	DSCN1394.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	7974
                    Looking good Bob. Even though YOU know what it looks like, just keep telling yourself no one else will see it...I doubt anyone will be popping out those gauges to inspect back there.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, Sebastian.

Comment

Working...
                      X