X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomski Shift Coupler

Trying to improve the shifting on a 901 box. A few folks have suggested the Stomski Racing Shift coupler. Anyone use one and do you like it?

I think the Stomski is a worthwhile upgrade.

Comment

I’ve got one. And the wevo coupler in another car. Either will improve your shifting and remove a lot of slop, assuming the bushings in the shifter are good.

Comment

I have a Wevo which is essentially the same in different color and made a huge improvement along with a full sent of shifter bushings and main spring

Attached Files

Comment

• Kevin-Allocca
          Kevin-Allocca
          1968 912
          Kevin-Allocca commented
          Editing a comment
          Mathieu, do you notice any noise from the coupler? Harry Hoffman has a Wevo unit and he says his makes a slight vibrating sound. Have noticed that?

I have the Stomski coupler and stealth shifter. I had some noise at first, but it’s gone now that I’ve properly adjusted the shifter. The precision is night and day compared to my previous setup (likely with worn out bushings).

Comment

Kevin-Allocca
          1968 912
          Kevin-Allocca - Because the coupler is metal on metal and does not relay on a softer material, it does not dampens any noise of vibration, I did not notice noise so much as a little more vibration when holding the gear stick, but quickly forgotten with the large improvement in shifting! Do it!

Comment

It will make a difference if all the other bushings are in good shape. After replacing all the bushings, I ended getting a short shifter from JWest Engineering and also his coupler bushings. Huge difference on the old 901.

Comment

As mentioned above the Stomski improves things. I went with a J West also. The J West is very precise. The stock shifter is totally shift by feel. The J West has kind of a gated feel. If someone else is driving my car, I want the J West in it. The silver one will end up in Doug DePew's 911E Targa.
              Both have the long shifter and I've extended mine another1.5 inches. If you look closely, I had my spare brake pedal shortened an inch or so. For me it's hugely better. I personalize (reSee) most stuff I buy that's mass produced. Mass production is a compromise. We're all slightly different. That's why you can adjust your seat in your car and in racing each driver has a different setup in the same car.
              Attached Files
              Chris Pomares
              2.4L
              Last edited by Chris Pomares; 06-03-2023, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I forgot i started this thread so figured I would chime in with what I ended up doing. I had Tom Conway at Carquip build the 5-speed for me and he recommended the Rauch and Spiegel coupler. So, I went with it and love it. It’s amazing how it transformed the shifts.

Comment

Working...
                X