Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64 tachometer green face different than 65?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 tachometer green face different than 65?

@all,

i just received today for service three early swb green face tachometers.
    On further inspection i did notice, that the face of the 64 tacho is different than the 65.
    I compared with the 65 gauges I do have, but unfortunately do not have a further 64 unit to compare.
    Furtheron I noticed, that the part number is complete different from the ones I had.

The difference is to be seen in the turnsignal cut outs.
    On the 64 unit the left cut out is directly above the digit 4, the right cut out starts directly over the digit 5.
    On the 65 units - I have four to crosscheck - the left cut is at the left side of the digit 4 and the right cut out ends at the right side of the digit 5.

the part number of the 64 is like the 65
    901 741 302 01
    but, instead the standard 0004,
    0001 and 1016/18/1

any clue on this issue?
    any further 64 units in the field to compare?

with best regards

haul

Attached Files
    erwin_loves_polo

did not go through all `64 cars i have records of ...but all i checked had it like your 0001

Comment

• haul
      haul
      it´s easy on a triumph
      haul commented
      Editing a comment
      Franz, danke…
      so obviously there are two versions and the change took place within 11/64 old and 2/65 new version…
      assumingly starting with changed production in the first week of 65? no?

Looks more like a slight graphic shift to me than a change in the punch outs for the indicator lights. That could be intentional or just a manufacturing error. Obviously there are two different part numbers so, that indicates a change, but of what???

Without several of the earlier tachs to compare, I wouldn't rush to judgement.

Also, really hard to tell from the pictures,,,, Sometimes you just need the hardware in front of you to determine the differences.

Comment

I have received some feedback pm from various tach owners affirming the difference in „graphic/cutout/partnumber“ between the 64 and 65 stamped units.

I will have them opened and sure find out more about them…. for the visual type, some more pics to compare…
      Attached Files
      erwin_loves_polo

Comment

To me, still looks like a slight graphic rotation and not a change in the punch outs for the indicators. The punch outs still look symmetrical to the center line created by the center of the dial and the lower alarm punch out.

Comment

• haul
          haul
          it´s easy on a triumph
          haul commented
          Editing a comment
          absolutely no doubt about the punchouts…on first sight it appears only to be a graphic issue… 64vs65 ! but if you have an idea, please do comment on the two different part numbers.. …any clue on the hidden agenda of these?
          haul
          it´s easy on a triumph
          Last edited by haul; 09-18-2022, 09:50 AM.

you are right it is a change of graphics--punch outs are identical--not only positioning(rotating) of the graphics. maybe they figured out that they where a bit off with the actual RPM and whats indicated ...note different spacing between the marked lines...Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2702b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.1 KB ID:	7728
        moito
        tu felix austria
        Last edited by moito; 09-18-2022, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X