Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWB gas tank finish

Hello,
    I think the pictures below show the original grey plastic like finish of a SWB tank including MY 1968.
    If anyone could confirm that, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Claudius

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220924_143215.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	7802 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220924_143300.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	7803 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220924_143314.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	7804

if you look closely at the vent pipe you can see that it is not as original swb tanks vent pipe was built into tank

Comment

50/50 Wurth gray/black. is what you are looking for
      tank shone is to light

Comment

Originally posted by bob joyce View Post
        50/50 Wurth gray/black. is what you are looking for
        tank shone is to light
        Bob, do you have exact name for Wurth product that matches color of SWB tank?

Thanks

Comment

Wurth stoneguard gray
          Wurth SKS stoneguard black
          50/50 mix matched my 1968 911L tank nicely.
          you can try and see if you like it for your car.

Comment

if you look closely at the vent pipe you can see that it is not as original swb tanks vent pipe was built into tank
            well,well ,well...whoever did the coating after the conversion did a hell of a job...almost beyond my imagination that anyone could do this that perfect... it even makes me think it was an inside job

Comment

Franz ... my guess is that they put female threads in the existing larger vent pipe and then put male threads on the smaller vent pipe.
              So, they did not need to touch the tanks finish..........

Last edited by bob joyce; 10-04-2022, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Franz ... my guess is that they put female threads in the existing larger vent pipe and then put male threads on the smaller vent pipe.
                So, they did not need to touch the tanks finish..........

.....and then matched the finish of the tiny bit of tube to the rest of the tank?

..who knows maybe an other `68 oddity.
                ..i owned a 911L produced in the last week of swb production and it had the small tube but not sleved like this one...

claudius is the car an early `68?

Comment

Maybe a dumb question, but why was larger vent tube needed? Move by Porsche to transition to more stringent emissions regulations, or modification made by an owner?

Comment

larger vent part of fuel injection setup

Comment

i do have a leaning towards your 1968 unicorn theory.
                      But it is odd that the vent appears to be "bent" back.
                      my dec 1967 tank has small vent as does my 1965 built tank
                      Last edited by bob joyce; 10-05-2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your inspirational discussion.
                        Sorry, but I have no additional infomation about the tank, I bought it 20+ years ago and stored it. I scoped the tank and the inside is like new, maybe the tank was never used.
                        Franz is correct, the caliber jump has the same coating like the rest of the tank. Because of that fact it is supposed to be used as a SWB/carburetor tank. But the intake of the sending unit with its studs is a different style.
                        Here is my new porposal: The tank was produced later as a replacement tank for SWB cars. Therefore the "fuel injection tank" was modified with the smaller vent tube in the production line before coating.
                        My early 1968 car has the normal small vent tube.

Claudius
                        68S_SK2
                        2.0S Sportkit II
                        Last edited by 68S_SK2; 10-06-2022, 12:40 PM.

Comment

even if it looks pretty worn it could well be that it is a new one...no traces of a spare wheel....how on earth could i miss this detail.

Comment

Yes, Franz, we often see, what we want to see or what we are focused on. But eyes and brain sometimes fail.....

Claudius

Click image for larger version

Name:	Staebchen_Zapfen.png.png
Views:	172
Size:	820.5 KB
ID:	7967

Comment

wow........ that really does a number on me.
                              sense my heart blockage i have had troubles seeing/not seeing.
                              my doctors don't seem to believe the things i tell them or don't care.
                              it is too bad that there has been such resistance to the use of micro dose LSD25 to restore/create pathways....
                              It has been known for decades, something they refer to as "lazy color blindness"
                              This is when a person will see/not see colors somewhat occasionally or do to circumstance, possibly stress.
                              I postulate that this suggest that there is a very good chance that a "hack' could adjust this.
                              Last edited by bob joyce; 10-08-2022, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X