Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a good repro driver side mirror for 72-73 cars?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a good repro driver side mirror for 72-73 cars?

Looking for a near NOS to NOS 72/73 mirror is a fool's errand these days. Very hard to find and crazy prices when you do find one. I was happy to see Porsche Classic was making this mirror - until I ordered it. Doesn't look remotely correct. Way too shiny and the plastic surround for the glass is way too thick. Is anyone reproducing this part correctly?

What was "way too shiny?" Most of the original ones I've had were dull from years of road dirt and pitting. The mirror housing on all of them polished to a very shiny finish with Simichrome.
    Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
    Long Beach, CA

Comment

Dave's right in that the Porsche Classic repros are chrome instead of stainless. They stick out like a sore thumb to anyone in the know.

Comment

Been meaning to post some photos. Sorry for the delay. Crazy times.

Happy to report that there is finally a decent repro 72/73 mirror available. Not perfect, but pretty good, and certainly not from Porsche Classic (shocker).

First, here's a shot of the Porscjhe Classic offering. Dave's right in that it's way too shiny.

Click image for larger version  Name:	001.jpg Views:	2 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	9038

But the shiny part isn't the worst part. The worst part is the black plastic trim around the glass which is way (WAY) too thick:

Click image for larger version  Name:	002.jpg Views:	2 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	9039

Happily, CarPoint is making a mirror that is much better:

Click image for larger version  Name:	003.jpg Views:	2 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	9040

Still chrome as opposed to the correct stainless but less shiny than the Porsche Classic mirror and looks pretty good on the car. As for the plastic trim around the mirror:

Click image for larger version  Name:	004.jpg Views:	2 Size:	64.9 KB ID:	9041

Much better. Here's side-by-side:

Click image for larger version  Name:	006.jpg Views:	2 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	9042

Overall, a pretty nice mirror at less $$ than the Porsche Classic part. Not as good as a nice original but it won't embarrass you on your car.

JP
        aka LiveFromNY
        Last edited by JP; 01-01-2023, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks, JP. And thanks for the detailed photos. Just ordered the Carpoint mirror! For anyone else looking, I noticed that they also offer a passenger side mirror in the correct 72/73 style which Porsche didn't do back in the day (anyone ordering a passenger mirror got "back-dated" to the large Durant mirrors). Having a 72/73-style passenger mirror available is a nice option.

Comment

JP,
            Is this the mirror you have shown?Door mirror 911 RS 72 73 left | Carpoint - Historic Porsche Spare Parts?

CarPoint shows it as for '72-'73RS, and their site does not seem to show any specifically for the regular T/E/S models? Are they the same?

Bahman

Comment

Originally posted by Bahman View Post
              JP,
              Is this the mirror you have shown?Door mirror 911 RS 72 73 left | Carpoint - Historic Porsche Spare Parts?

CarPoint shows it as for '72-'73RS, and their site does not seem to show any specifically for the regular T/E/S models? Are they the same?

Bahman
              Yep. that's it. The price has come down since I ordered last year when it was 90+ euros but same photo and part #.

And yes, 72-73 T/E/S mirror and 73RS mirror are the same.

Comment

Thanks, JP.

I plan to add a RH one to my ‘72 E.

Bahman

Comment

Working...
                X