X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail light housing changes

Will tail light housings from a 74-89 fit in a 73? Were there changes? I'm just talking about LWB housings and later, thank you.

Related to this, I have black-rimmed lenses marked 72 and also marked 77, but they look the same to me. Did the lenses change over time?
    Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
    Long Beach, CA

Originally posted by Tom F2 View Post
    Will tail light housings from a 74-89 fit in a 73? Were there changes? I'm just talking about LWB housings and later, thank you.

Related to this, I have black-rimmed lenses marked 72 and also marked 77, but they look the same to me. Did the lenses change over time?
    I'm sure Audette will chime in as a real expert but in the meantime.

There were minor changes over the years to the taillight housings including the color of the interior paint (silver vs white) and the relocation of the drain hole.Yes, they'll all fit a '73 car.

On the black-trimmed lenses, there are no differences other than the 72/77 date codes and possibly some of the other markings.

Hope this helps.

Comment

My ex-SC had white in the turn signal area, silver for the marker/brake and back up lights. My 73 seems to have had all silver but it's flaked or faded away to a large extent, leaving white. Or someone tried to paint them white in the past.
      Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
      Long Beach, CA

Comment

There are several difference between the 73+ and the earlier housings.
        JP already mentioned the different drain hole location(different rear bumper geometry of the SC). Also the ground connection in the rear cover is different (so different harness). The rear connector chamber had also a vent to the reflector area. Euro 73 had already white in the turn signal area, while US hadnĀ“t.

Comment

I'm working on taillights now. is the the ground conncection on the 70 tail light under the capture nut? doesn't seem like a good fit.

Comment

Working...
          X