X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Cylinders is Exactly Right

Been driving this all week. My 2001, 19k-mile SL600 Roadster - the only 12 cylinder car I've ever owned. I was in Denver for a couple days this week and I swear this Mercedes is quieter and smoother than the Tesla I rented. Just an incredible feat of engineering. I'm probably going to sell this car soon just because I'm so tight on space and it boggles my mind that these cars haven't really taken off yet when so much lesser crap of the same era has.

Click image for larger version

Name:	r129a.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	1585

Name:	r129b.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	1586

I have wondered why these don't get more money. Is it running costs?

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by P-Nut View Post
      I have wondered why these don't get more money. Is it running costs?

Scott
      Certainly not for me. It's been bulletproof for the couple years I've owned it and gets surprisingly good mileage for the monster that it is.

Comment

Another 12 that’s ‘cheap as chips, to buy that is, are these. Just sold this last weak for .30 cents on the dollar. Yep, I’m a genius…..

Name:	7C997555-EB5F-4028-B24F-1D45E23FDDC1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	1609

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2mny View Post
          Another 12 that’s ‘cheap as chips, to buy that is, are these. Just sold this last weak for .30 cents on the dollar. Yep, I’m a genius…..
          But it had to be worth it, right? Such an iconic car!

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post

But it had to be worth it, right? Such an iconic car!
            Any time I made it home without the need for a flatbed, it was a good day.

Comment

While discussing the twelves, a lower production car from '97 where just over 300 were produced... 456 GTA. Add the Tubi exhaust and the sound is wonderful along with a very nice GT driving experience:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0334.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.6 KB ID:	2639 Click image for larger version  Name:	HPIM0097.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.4 KB ID:	2638 Click image for larger version  Name:	HPIM0088.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.9 KB ID:	2637

Comment

Originally posted by DanielJ View Post
                While discussing the twelves, a lower production car from '97 where just over 300 were produced... 456 GTA. Add the Tubi exhaust and the sound is wonderful along with a very nice GT driving experience:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0334.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.6 KB ID:	2639
                I had a business partner years ago who bought one new. The thing I remember is that it came standard with a set of luggage!

Comment

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	2650
                  Originally posted by DaveRo View Post

I had a business partner years ago who bought one new. The thing I remember is that it came standard with a set of luggage!
                  Yes. When we received this car, the luggage was still in the felt shipping containers. They have never been used.

Comment

Working...
                  X