Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A place for the cars with the overhead cam 4 cylinder engines.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I talked to Jeff Abate last night for the better part of an hour. The knowledge base for POLO's and Emory's over the last 10 years has really grown. I might need a refresh/upgrade in the next year or two. HP numbers are going way up. Here's a dyno sheet on his new 2.5 liter POLO. He has a second engine about done that should make another 10 to 20 hp over this one. That means there is another 35 to 50 hp to gain with a refresh. I'm not alone anymore. There is a nice group of guys out there now that really get it. 80 to 100 pounds less weight with 6 cylinder power.
    https://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-...gine-dyno.html
    Chris Pomares
    2.4L
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 08-26-2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Now what. 30 days and 1000 miles away. I need to find a secure place for the car Saturday the 8th close to San Pedro. The other days I'll be in Carpinteria.
      Attached Files

Comment

After giving some thought as to what my car actually is, I came up with calling it a 912 SUPER. What's a 912 SUPER? I would say a Porsche 912 powered by a Polopolus POLO, Emory, or early Chuck Beck 2CAM4. Click image for larger version  Name:	2C415760-A302-4849-86F4-BF0F7CFED4B9.jpg Views:	134 Size:	174.5 KB ID:	7755
      Chris Pomares
      2.4L
      Last edited by Chris Pomares; 02-02-2023, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Ralph noticed some „over the limit“ tolerances of the casing, hence we had to rethink and reorganize. To continue had not been an option!!

Finally we found a boxer engine specialized company - for subarus - and had the case halfs machine measured digitally. The manual measurement of Ralph had been verified.

As a result out of this we do have to cnc grind down the halfs and cnc rebore, in order to have a perfect alignement of the case!

Case can be seen in the rear and today it had been worked on preparing for the studs to get realignend, too. After this it should be not too far to get it finished.

enjoy
        Attached Files
        erwin_loves_polo

Comment

I’m glad you caught it. I have a little over 20,000 miles so far and no issues.

Comment

• haul
            haul
            it´s easy on a triumph
            haul commented
            Editing a comment
            absolutely,

as the 912 will be driven @ full throttle here in europe it has to be at max. perfection possible.

Emory uses a different engine design and is produced more refined than Dean‘s unit, no?

my polo engine#13 appears here in the vid…3:34min
            https://youtu.be/78h964U5sX8
            only in german, but I think you understand by looking at it… larger drilling for slightly larger pins ->reallignment of engine halfs, bearing alley rebore after this..
            haul
            it´s easy on a triumph
            Last edited by haul; 09-21-2022, 03:08 PM.

All I can say is I’ve hammered over Colorado passes for 10 years and the engine runs great.
          I don't think the design is all that different if it's Porsche based which it is. Maybe he has tighter tolerances? I've talked to several of the 912 POLO guys and they seem to be happy campers. What Dean has built considering his limited resources and Emory's vast scale is amazing.
          The builder of a second version always has the advantage of learning from studding the first version.
          A few Porsche sites is as close to social media as I get. I would rather go and do something.
          Chris Pomares
          2.4L
          Last edited by Chris Pomares; 09-21-2022, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• haul
            haul
            it´s easy on a triumph
            haul commented
            Editing a comment
            Chris,
            I absolutely do agree with you…especially with the last sentence..

enjoy&best regards
            from bavaria

haul

I put on some lightly used Audette LED headlights. I had them covered with clear sheets. Then my spare set of fog light covers with easy on easy off butterfly nuts. My other stock set is still as original in Bahama Yellow. It’s getting cooler here fast in Colorado. With duel oil coolers maybe this will block a little air to the coolers. I’m guessing we’re down to a couple of weeks before the car is put away for the winter. I had my spare set of 6X16 Fuchs powder coated in Army green.
          They’re going to get 5 new super stickies some time this winter with sidewall stickers like my other 6X16's. I'm not sure what brand yet but the wear rate will be in the 100 to 200 range.
          Attached Files
          Chris Pomares
          2.4L
          Last edited by Chris Pomares; 10-17-2022, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I've been focused on the 69E lately. It's in the middle of painting at the moment. Body and doors are close. A second hood and bumpers are in the process. Then it's 1200, 2500, 3000, and finally 8000 before the polish. Then custom fitment of 2 altered trombone oil coolers with front crossover lines.
            I'll be doing a video reveal on the new SSI 38/41 mm tube heat exchangers this week for Soren at SSI. The current ones are 35/38 ID/OD pictured on the bench. Now I need to figure out how to post it on YouTube. I'll do a second one on fitment when the 3.2 MFI engine gets completed. I might do a third on a chassis dyno.
            Then the E gets the suspension changed to close to Longballa spec. As it's a Targa so we'll go 19/24 or 25 mm T bars and 18 mm F&R sways.
            I hope I don't get tared and feathered for posting the other guys banner along with yours and mine. The 912 guys don't have one or I would hang it up there too.
            It's hard to pull away totally as the thread on the car has 235,000 page views and grows by one to two thousand page views a week. It seems many have interest over there but almost never post on the thread as apparently they don't want others folks to know who they are. When JP and Doug where still over there they where more than willing to say they'd poked around the thread now and then. As the Golden Green car and a 69 Ultra Blau coupe in the works are Doug's, I can see why he was looking at the thread. There are still a couple guys I still follow over there, Ed Mayo being one of them. I'm searching for parts on Pelican also. When my wife sees me on the computer, chances are I'm on one of those four sites. Hunting for parts is a never ending quest.
            Life is fun playing with these toys.
            Attached Files
            Chris Pomares
            2.4L
            Last edited by Chris Pomares; 01-13-2023, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I've been talking to Jeff Jabate, John Dougherty of DC Cams, Jerry Woods, and a handful of other POLO engine techs that have used the latest data to get 230 to 270 hp out of this package. I will now start acquiring the needed parts over the next 12 to 18 months to make this upgrade. 250 hp in a 2100 pound car with 80 pounds less weight behind the rear axles just sounds so appealing. Driving at 5 to 12,500 feet here in Colorado I need all the help I can get. (Mt Evans and Pikes Peak are 14,000) A small turbo would help but this is a purely a NA car.
              The thought of surprising some of the newer cars on a mountain tour puts a smile on my face.
              Attached Files

Comment

rock on my friend.........

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe.
                  The stock hood would get hung on the wall. The original decklid and grill are boxed. I can pick up a fiberglass hood down the street in Colorado Springs. Wheels, hood and decklid Army green.
                  Two sets of clothes. Dress up and sport.
                  Attached Files
                  Chris Pomares
                  2.4L
                  Last edited by Chris Pomares; 02-02-2023, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Out of powder coating. There is a tiny bubble between the E an 2. I’ll live with it. 4/13/23- I went back to the 912 Super badge. The 190 was just too much.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	267D3DFD-CC08-4F3E-9FCF-1E7FB53B7228.jpg Views:	34 Size:	119.4 KB ID:	9810
                    Chris Pomares
                    2.4L
                    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 04-13-2023, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I turned over the engine for the first time since mid October. Reached in through the window and gave it a 2 or 3 second spin for oil pressure. Then reached in, turned it over and 3 seconds later it started right up. I never touched the throttle. It purred like a kitten. I ran it for 30 minutes to give the battery a good charge.
                      I’m also testing a Rennshift. I have it adjusted I think. Too much snow on the roads to see how it feels.
                      I think this time of year I’ll call the shop the ice box. See that tiny heater up in the top left corner? That’s it for a 20X40 by 15 feet tall shop. It’s good for heating the top two or 3 feet in that corner. So I just turn it off and squeeze up against an area heater. It’s good for 12 to 18 inches. The shop this time of year is in the 40’s.
                      Attached Files
                      Chris Pomares
                      2.4L
                      Last edited by Chris Pomares; 02-25-2023, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I’m adding some LED central brake lights.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I finally got some stickies mounted on a spare set of wheels that have sat in the corner for years.
                          Attached Files
                          Chris Pomares
                          2.4L
                          Last edited by Chris Pomares; 04-20-2023, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X