First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: 34-36cm momo prototipo

looking for exactly this type

35cm would be perfect but consider +/-1cm

would also trade/px with an excellent other type of prototipo i have(pics to follow)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unbenannt.png Views:	0 Size:	701.0 KB ID:	1414
    moito
    tu felix austria
    Last edited by moito; 05-08-2022, 02:29 AM.

this is what i have to trade Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5571.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1421 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5577.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1419 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5570.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1417 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5576.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1418 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5572.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1420

Comment

What you're looking for is one of the rarest of MOMO wheels. The last one I bought was around $7,000. I wasn't able to keep it. I had these photos that were provide by Jens at the Porsche archive. Very difficult wheel to find.. best of luck.
      Attached Files

Comment

The unwashed masses, by which I mean folks like me, need a thread explaining Momos. With lots of photos, please. But for now, I would just like to learn what models these beautiful wheels are and why they are special.
        Last edited by Tom F2; 05-10-2022, 09:23 PM.
        Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
        Long Beach, CA

Comment

• Mark Morrissey
          Mark Morrissey
          older than I look
          Mark Morrissey commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking it would be around 1995 or approximately, when I first made a mental note about an early prototipo wheel that looked different from any other I'd seen. They'd only appear in the Porsche prototyp cars; 907, 910, 917 and some of the 908s. I found out enough information on MOMOs in general to be fortunate enough to have a few articles published on the subject. Prior to that, I'd successfully turned over enough stones which helped me compile a good about of information.

The going was difficult because at the time, there was little to no information out there. I had an interview set up with Gianpiero Moretti (MOMO founder) in 2011 but his rep canceled a couple of days before it was to happen. 6 months or so later he would pass away from cancer. Of course I had no idea but he was too sick to speak to me. He death broke my heart and I was never able to get an answer about this subject. None of his associates had a good answer for me and I'd become good friends with a couple... but mostly with Cesar Martinengo, a best friend of Moretti and former employee. I'm convinced that he was the only one who knew. Cesar didn't know and neither did Marco Cattaneo.

I just never saw these odd early protos (dished with pads on all three spokes) on anything other than a race car. I thought it was strange at the time but as I've thought about it in the last few years it makes sense. After Ferrari agreed to use Moretti's specially made wheel in the John Surtees 158... Formula 1 steering wheels would never be the same. After Surtees won the Championship... pretty much every driver wanted one of Moretti's smaller diameter, thicker gripped, leather covered wheel for their F1 car.

Moretti was already well immersed in the world of racing when I believe Porsche contacted him around late 1966 on making a special wheel for their prototyp cars. This is conjecture on my part but I truly believe it to be fact.

thanks Mark for posting this beautiful fotos.

Comment

Working...
        X