X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendors I Love, Vendors I Hate

Would love to hear both personal recommdations as well as cautionary tales. Who are the vendors that support us and deserve our support? I'll start.

Vendors I Love:

Auto Foreign Services
    This isn’t going to surprise anyone. Quality products and a quality person. If you need it and Eric offers it, you should buy it. ‘Nuff said.

Autobahn Interiors
    Tony is the man. Always great work and understands that Porsche guys like us care about authenticity.

AppBiz
    Weird name. But (limited) good stuff at fair prices and Bob is always willing to talk about your needs (and talk, and talk).

Gaudin Porsche
    When I need factory parts, I always buy from Gaudin. Deep discounts from dealer prices and the manager, Mark, is a really good guy.

AASE Sales
    I sometimes visit their site just to treasure hunt.

Billmark Plating
    Yellow plating of my misc. parts, nuts and bolts and charges by the pound.

Moreland Hose
    Custom AC hoses. They can do anything and do it quickly and cheap.

GTS Classics
    Big fan of their aftermarket seats and few people try as hard to help you as Stefan does.

PMB Performance.
    The caliper masters. What will we do if they ever go away?

Vendors I Hate:

Griffiths AC
    The Internet is rampant with stories about Charlie Griffith and his terrible customer service and petty attitude. It’s too bad, really, because they sell some great stuff. But Charlie is prick(ly) by any measure.

Auto Atlanta
    This one is just weird. Their communication is terrible. Nothing on their website that I can’t buy elsewhere yet they behave as if you should be grateful they’re willing to let you buy from them. Ugh.

North Hollywood Speedometer
    I’m not usually that price sensitive. But these guys are charging roughly a billion dollars per gauge now. I’m out.

On the Fence:

Sierra Madre
    Lots of unsavory and off-putting stories about the owner (I have some of my own). But I’m sometimes forced to buy from them when they’re the only vendor for something obscure that I really need. Service is fine but I hate spending money with a company owned by someone I don’t respect. Maybe I should buy it?

Weidman’s Wheels
    Harvey is an artist. But I, and a lot of others, won’t use him. His customer service is so bad it’s become a running joke behind his back (even with his friends). He once had a set of my wheels for almost 2 years and ignored at least a dozen of my emails and calls during that time - and then called me irate when I happened to mention it in a friendly and joking manner. People used to be afraid to speak the truth when he was the only option for Fuchs restoration. Thankfully, that’s no longer the case.

Pelican Parts
    I appreciate that they work hard to be part of the community, and their forums have helped me build a lot of cars, but it’s hard to buy from them when so much of their inventory is just bought from the dealer and marked up.

Stoddard
    This one might be personal. As an ecommerce professional, their site actually offends me. I mean, who can’t quote you shipping before you pay these days? I do buy from them, but only as a last resort.
    JP
    aka LiveFromNY
    Last edited by JP; 08-09-2023, 04:32 PM.

Agree 100% on Weidman. I had exactly the same experience.

Another great interior resource is Autos International in Escondido. Been using them for years. I think Tony at Autobahn used to work there.

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post
      Would love to hear both personal recommdations as well as cautionary tales. Who are the vendors that support us and deserve our support? I'll start.

Autobahn Interiors
      Tony is the man. Always great work and understands that Porsche guys like us care about authenticity.

Excellent list, thanks, will be using that lots.

Funny that the home page image on Autobahn Interiors just went up for sale on PCARMARKET.

Comment

Originally posted by wingless View Post
        Excellent list, thanks, will be using that lots.
        Agreed. This could end up a very valuable resource. Especially for sharing some of the smaller, specialty vendors.

I'd like recommend to Bob at Ashlock Tech for CDI rebuilds.

And I'd like to NOT recommend King of Trim for anything. These guys used to be the go-to for a lot of us restoring exterior trim parts. But the owner sold the business some years back and it's never been the same.

Comment

I thought I was the only one Charlie Griffith didn't like but I just did some online searching. Wow! Prickly is an understatement.

Comment

AutohausAZ I am building a car .... not doing a tuneup or breke job .... So i bought uro tie rods for my 1968. As i was fitting things i noticed that they were way too stiff.
            By the time I took them off and checked them (They not only were far too stiff they had no grease in them ) when i contacted them it was 32 days or so after purchase. So they would not give a straight up refund. They prorated or what ever as a warranty issue so my $45.86 dollar purchase was credited $18.46
            Guess who im not calling on for parts...............

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post

Vendors I Love:

Auto Foreign Services
              This isn’t going to surprise anyone. Quality products and a quality person. If you need it and Eric offers it, you should buy it. ‘Nuff said.

Autobahn Interiors

AppBiz
              Weird name. But (limited) good stuff at fair prices and Bob is always willing to talk about your needs (and talk, and talk).

Gaudin Porsche
              When I need factory parts, I always buy from Gaudin. Deep discounts from dealer prices and the manager, Mark, is a really good guy.

AASE Sales
              I sometimes visit their site just to treasure hunt.

Billmark Plating
              Yellow plating of my misc. parts, nuts and bolts and charges by the pound.

Moreland Hose
              Custom AC hoses. They can do anything and do it quickly and cheap.

GTS Classics
              Big fan of their aftermarket seats and few people try as hard to help you as Stefan does.

PMB Performance.
              The caliper masters. What will we do if they ever go away?

Vendors I Hate:

Griffiths AC
              The Internet is rampant with stories about Charlie Griffith and his terrible customer service and petty attitude. It’s too bad, really, because they sell some great stuff. But Charlie is prick(ly) by any measure.

Auto Atlanta
              This one is just weird. Their communication is terrible. Nothing on their website that I can’t buy elsewhere yet they behave as if you should be grateful they’re willing to let you buy from them. Ugh.

North Hollywood Speedometer
              I’m not usually that price sensitive. But these guys are charging roughly a billion dollars per gauge now. I’m out.

On the Fence:

Sierra Madre
              Lots of unsavory and off-putting stories about the owner (I have some of my own). But I’m sometimes forced to buy from them when they’re the only vendor for something obscure that I really need. Service is fine but I hate spending money with a company owned by someone I don’t respect. Maybe I should buy it?

Weidman’s Wheels
              Harvey is an artist. But I, and a lot of others, won’t use him. His customer service is so bad it’s become a running joke behind his back (even with his friends). He once had a set of my wheels for almost 2 years and ignored at least a dozen of my emails and calls during that time - and then called me irate when I happened to mention it in a friendly and joking manner. People used to be afraid to speak the truth when he was the only option for Fuchs restoration. Thankfully, that’s no longer the case.

Pelican Parts
              I appreciate that they work hard to be part of the community, and their forums have helped me build a lot of cars, but it’s hard to buy from them when so much of their inventory is just bought from the dealer and marked up.

Stoddard
              This one might be personal. As an ecommerce professional, their site actually offends me. I mean, who can’t quote you shipping before you pay these days? I do buy from them, but only as a last resort.
              I've also used most of the same vendors some I've never had to use. I wanted to use Harvey, but after 2 years of being ignored .
              I used Fuchsrestoration and am pleasantly surprised.
              Carbone is good (and they are in Poland!)
              Tony, Stefan and Bob Are great to deal with.
              Eric just does fabulous work.
              Dan Pechtel for tops is good, but I think your guy in Colorado may be better. Dan does good work, but I have had to detail some of his work.
              I have never had any instruments redone, except for glass cleaning, I used a local shop in San Antonio to do that work, although it looks like they are gone.
              I have better luck calling Stoddard than using their web site.
              May I add International Mercantile for the odd rubber pieces that no one else seems to have.
              Kathy at Autowerkes has gotten me some stuff that was unavailable elsewhere, like an EZ ignition module for my 91 Turbo which no dealer had!.( she called the factory)
              Pilkington Classic for windshields, they seem to have every flavor available.

Comment

Great list. Agree with your assessments. Lots of good people.

Scott

Comment

love/hate .... ok ....I love Erics parts/but hate his swb rear bumper ends

Comment

• bob joyce
                    bob joyce commented
                    Editing a comment
                    To be sure.... Any problems, if any with this vender, get taken care of promptly.
                    His service is such that he wants things to be correct.

Another thumbs up for bob ashlock. Anything CDI- you simply won’t find a better resource.

for commodity parts I used to buy from pelican. I now buy from Fcp euro. For one thing, they arrive next day for me in NJ and they are in CT. They also warranty anything you buy from them (that isn’t liquid) for life. Buy new wipers for your daily driver. You replace them every month if you want- for free. Wipers are expensive. Better yet. Alternator. Starter. Stuff that shouldn’t fail but new stuff does. At least you’ll know you won’t have to pay for it again.

we tend to keep cars for a very long time.

I’ve bought from griffiths. And the stuff is amazing. And his documentation is also outstanding. But dealing with him and buying the parts is unbearable.

Comment

Originally posted by Blucille View Post
                  I’ve bought from griffiths. And the stuff is amazing. And his documentation is also outstanding. But dealing with him and buying the parts is unbearable.
                  Exactly me experience. Product is first-rate. But the owner is a jackass and not worth the trouble!

Comment

As far as gauges go, I found Cory Shepherd at SPECIALTYGAUGE.COM to be prompt and reasonably priced. had a clock done first, then my odometer fixed, then my tach rebuilt to match.. Been a few years, but he's still the guy for gauges, IMO

Comment

Speaking of gauges, John Bell does some amazing custom work - his attention to detail and his ability to provide a perfect outcome is second to none.

Comment

Not in a position to fight with any of the above. However, I think it is important to differentiate what the ultimate goal is. Been working on the white whale for 10 years with the goal of resale at a profit. Slowly approaching the upside down figure but have always had in mind the ultimate goal. However, my thinking was I want t be able to say that Harvey did the wheels. Mort did the fan and shroud and Performance oriented did the carbs. Of course since the project has taken so long, time has not been a real factor. Have 5 perfect Harvey Fuchs with CA67 Pirellis in garage. Probably close to 4 years with Harvey. However my experience was my own stupidity until I learned that I moved up the wait list with up front money. But I always found Harvey to be responsive. I would also note that Harvey used to contribute a lot on the ESR. If you will recall Harvey lost his house in the California fires and I think has had some health problems (Could be wrong on that issue). Didn't find his pricing unreasonable and love the wheels.

Just finally assembled 5 5.5x15's for my '68 912 coupe. Looking to hold on to it, drive the hell out of it til I'm gone and pass it on to my daughter or grandson. Needed drive quality wheels but just sent the first one off to Fuchs Restoration to see what it comes out like. Totally different goal in this case. Buy and flip vs. retain and enjoy

Difficulty seems to be that the old guys are disappearing and the costs of restoration are getting too expensive. Tried my hands at some simple projects but finding my limitations. Should stick to carpentry and model building. Finally broke down and bought John Audette's no Bosh label lens. And bless Eric. Nice guy, wonderful products. In sum, just my two cents. Not a lick of advice that help anybody.

Should say I'm pleased with my electrical panel that i assembled with help from guys like Ed Mayo and others.
                        Last edited by Doigthom; 08-12-2023, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I like Charlie, he really knows his stuff and provides parts that he personally developed. Some of these places like Stoddard, Automobile Atlanta and North Hollywood have been in the Porsche business for years and years and each may have their quirks but I know that they all try to please these picky porsche customers especially the ones who get their feelings hurt easily. Porsche is a joy, no reason to treat customers badly and vice versa

Comment

Working...
                          X