X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoddard has been sold....

Purchased by Rose Passion out of France. Heard they are looking for others as well.... SMC next?
    Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
    autoforeign@gmail.com
    67S's......

kinda earth shaking

Comment

From an ecommerce perspective, Stoddard is a huge opportunity with the most upside. My partners and I actually discussed taking a run at it ourselves a couple years back. Probably should have.

On the upside, I've had good experiences with RP in the past.

Comment

will RP keep the faith and acquire/recreate new parts?
        Does anyone know if they will run it as "Stoddard" or a whole new business plan
        good to hear you have had good experience with them
        just recently heard somewere a similar review

Comment

I kinda expected this last year. His (Bruce Schwartz owner of Stoddard) wife sold her family business over a year ago... so it's not suprising. Bruce is 73, I've never seen or heard that he had children wanting to carry on in the business.

In terms of where the business goes it could be just about anything. I know that there was essentially nobody else besides Bruce and Brad at SEMA looking at new product manufacturers, but there's a manufacturing database that they have that RP can utilize to continue to make products that they deem necessary to the business. But, Dansk continues to grow their own manufacturing so maybe you just use them and others like URO and rely on them to do the legwork on product development warehousing etc. Yes, the margins are higher when you make your own products, but you then own your own inventory (and the risk with it). I was told that SMC was Stoddards biggest account, so there's that. There's quite a few other retailers who rely on Stoddard as well.

The biggest line at Rennsport was to buy swag... a 4 hour long line. Porsche is a "global brand" with influencers.. their own brand of paint for your house, nail polish for you or your significant other.. and "Icons of Porsche" who will sign your poster (they are the influencers btw.. not who you would think they are). Personally I think that Porsche can't wait for guys like me to die so that they can continue to push forward without any alternate opinions of their direction. Puma shoes anyone?

It will be interesting to see where this all goes. I know that if I knew 5 years ago what I know now that my business would be radically different.

autoforeign@gmail.com
          67S's......

Comment

i talked to a representative from URO at rennsport about the tie rod problem/how it was not handled properly by autohouseaz
            they were totally unaware of any returns on the item
            they apologized and said THEY would take care of it
            they understood that the development/quality control is dependent on reporting. ( i apologies for being sloppy at that)
            so i bought an URO cylinder deflector set
            it was very well packaged, and the parts looked terrific
            it appears that they want to step-up

Comment

I wonder if they might be interested in a small boutique specializing in lighting...
              John Audette
              www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Originally posted by jaudette3 View Post
                I wonder if they might be interested in a small boutique specializing in lighting...
                I've already told them I'm not interested...

autoforeign@gmail.com
                67S's......

Comment

Lit meet is going forward as usual, just confirmed.

autoforeign@gmail.com
                  67S's......

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post

I've already told them I'm not interested...
                    Well done...
                    John Audette
                    www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post
                      Purchased by Rose Passion out of France. Heard they are looking for others as well.... SMC next?
                      this is a surprising and disturbing news.

erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Hard to wrap my head around this. When I started in this hobby, Chuck Stoddard was still coming to tech sessions and his catalogue was my bible. I've been unhappy about many of the changes in the community that supports our ancient air-cooleds, but not sure whether my sentiments are reasonable, or just the rumination of an aging white male. I'd love to hear what Eric would have done differently. Why is it that the 356 community is so much more successful? The 911 world is a dysfunctional family in comparison.
                        Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
                        Long Beach, CA

Comment

• jaudette3
                          jaudette3
                          Really?
                          jaudette3 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My speculation is that the 356 community is dominated by owners of a certain age, most members of the Greatest Generation.

Was VERY happy w/ Stoddard when I purchased LOTS of stuff from them in the late 80s.

Holding out hope that the new owners will again make Stoddard a go-to stop for parts shopping.

Comment

This is such an interesting thread. I know much less than many of you, but I've been involved in several other "fringe" hobbies involving out-of-production semi-antique items that have waxed and waned over the years in popularity and value. In each case a group of cottage industries and distributors have sprung up to supply replacement parts (including myself, at one point). In most cases, those were centered around one or a few principals, who eventually aged out. As did the consumers of those hobby items. We'll see what happens with early Porsches and suppliers, but to my eyes this situation looks far healthier than others i've seen over the decades, particularly given that Porsche still exists and produces cars, thus maintaining a fundamental consumer base.
                          Last edited by raspritz; 10-16-2023, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Speaking of "aging out". I know someone in Oregon that is an apt term for.
                            John Audette
                            www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Working...
                            X