X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted versus Naked Exhaust Pipes on the 65/66 911s

I have been looking at the exhaust systems on a number of restored 65 and 66 911s. What I have noticed is that some of these cars have no paint on the exhaust pipes that run from the heat exchangers to the muffler while the heat exchangers and the mufflers on these cars are painted. Are the exhaust pipes also supposed to be painted in order to be “correct?” Or is leaving them bare an option? My exhaust pipes were painted at one point but that paint has since burnt off leaving them bare (not a bad look). My understanding is that Dansk painted their exhaust systems to protect them in transit and not to act as a permanent, heat-resistant coating. Thoughts?

The whole muffler is painted and the chrome tip slides over it.

The paint Stoddard sells has gotten very expensive. It is from Highland International.

https://highland-international.com/s...exhaust-paint/

Comment

Thanks for your post. I know that the muffler is painted. My question concerns the exhaust pipes the run from the heat exchanger and connect to the muffler and whether these pipes are painted in all instances.

I know about the paint made by Highland for Stoddard. At the moment it is not available.

Comment

Originally posted by PRS911 View Post
        Thanks for your post. I know that the muffler is painted. My question concerns the exhaust pipes the run from the heat exchanger and connect to the muffler and whether these pipes are painted in all instances.
        I wasn't clear. Everything gets painted but it usually burns off. BITD, it was one of those things I touched up from time to time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 1.53.03 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	262.5 KB ID:	12052
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for answering my question. I thought that was the case. Painting the exhaust pipes while on the car will be a bit of a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by PRS911 View Post
            I have been looking at the exhaust systems on a number of restored 65 and 66 911s. What I have noticed is that some of these cars have no paint on the exhaust pipes that run from the heat exchangers to the muffler while the heat exchangers and the mufflers on these cars are painted. Are the exhaust pipes also supposed to be painted in order to be “correct?” Or is leaving them bare an option? My exhaust pipes were painted at one point but that paint has since burnt off leaving them bare (not a bad look). My understanding is that Dansk painted their exhaust systems to protect them in transit and not to act as a permanent, heat-resistant coating. Thoughts?
            Paint it with wurth zinc paint for the proper factory finish and protection

Comment

Thanks dr914 for reaching out. I ended up using the paint that is used and recommended by John Willhoit -- Thurmalox 245 dark gray primer. I spoke to Michael Willhoit who told me that it is close to the original color (a little darker) and they have been using the paint for many years on countless mufflers. He told me that the paint that was once available from Stoddard was not the correct shade of gray. I have attached photos of the muffler and one side of the exhaust pipes (a lot of masking). So far, so good.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	12090 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2169.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	12091

Comment

I finally installed the muffler and put everything back together. It was challenging at times. I definitely could have used a lift and an extra pair of hands.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2184.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	12101 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	12102 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	12103

Comment

Here's what my new Dansk muffler looked like after about 200 miles. The paint completely burned off of the exhaust pipes. It would be much appreciated if Dansk would go the extra step and coat their mufflers and exhaust systems with a high-heat paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	12109

Comment

Good to know as have not installed yet….so time to provide new finish
                    thanks
                    frank

Comment

Happy to help. Dansk should let everyone know that their mufflers and heat exchangers need to be coated with a heat resistant coating prior to installation.

Comment

Working...
                      X