Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Collection remainder on Sothebys, OMG!!!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Collection remainder on Sothebys, OMG!!!!!

Ok, so perhaps it's just me as a collector of Porsche ephemera, parts, literature, collectibles, etc. etc.

To me this is "staggering"...

I had an "inside joke" with Dick Moran from Socal (he owned at one time 3 of the 911R's, mulitple 1973 911RS lightweights, etc. etc)... It went like this "Hey Dick, imagine me with your money". He understood that as I was literally constantly "broke" buying cars and parts etc (my own hobby money). So, I think I found what that would look like, and clearly it's Vinod Ramani who owned the White Collection. I knew he had a lot of "stuff", but I had no idea how much. Once again, "I'm broke", so I won't be participating in the auction....

Good luck to those who are bidding!

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/wc24

Cheers,
    Eric
    Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
    autoforeign@gmail.com
    67S's......

Beyond staggering. And I'm struggling to see his strategy. I can't see how he doesn't take a beating overall. Just the toolkits as an example, so much of the same stuff selling at the same time.
    Last edited by rubyred; 03-22-2024, 07:51 PM.

Comment

What a fantastic collection.

Comment

Ok... I've been through it a few times, I see a few items mis-described (not unusual with this type of grab bag of stuff)... however, I'm more surprised of one missing "item" of a collectible, or at least a very used item that people sometimes change out on their car for personal reasons. I've got virtually at least one of most everything that's usually listed in this type of auction... but, I have over 3 dozen of this one "item", and they are ubiquitous at the Lit meet and most any swap meet, yet there's not even "one" of them here. They are always for sale in the classifieds.

So, in a bit of review before I posted...I realized that there's actually another, but there's a least a couple of pieces of them offered.

So, any guesses? Perhaps there's more than one type of item missing, and maybe this one is the only glaring one to me...

E
        soterik
        HTH....!
        Last edited by soterik; 03-22-2024, 09:29 PM.

autoforeign@gmail.com
        67S's......

Comment

Originally posted by rubyred View Post
          Beyond staggering. And I'm struggling to see his strategy. I can't see how he doesn't take a beating overall. Just the toolkits as an example, so much of the same stuff selling at the same time.
          Forget the tool kits.... look at the luggage! Can't imagine he does well on so much similar stuff and luggage is HARD to sell (ask me how I know).

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post
            Ok... I've been through it a few times, I see a few items mis-described (not unusual with this type of grab bag of stuff)... however, I'm more surprised of one missing "item" of a collectible, or at least a very used item that people sometimes change out on their car for personal reasons. I've got virtually at least one of most everything that's usually listed in this type of auction... but, I have over 3 dozen of this one "item", and they are ubiquitous at the Lit meet and most any swap meet, yet there's not even "one" of them here. They are always for sale in the classifieds.

So, in a bit of review before I posted...I realized that there's actually another, but there's a least a couple of pieces of them offered.

So, any guesses? Perhaps there's more than one type of item missing, and maybe this one is the only glaring one to me...

E
            Gotta be steering wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post

Gotta be steering wheels?
              Bingo....

autoforeign@gmail.com
              67S's......

Comment

Bingo....
                Weird for sure. I bought several in the last go-around and there were probably 20 or so total. Guess he sold those first.

Comment

Holy s**t!!!! Can't believe I missed the last auction. Anyone actually go and see the goods in person?

Comment

Weird for sure. I bought several in the last go-around and there were probably 20 or so total. Guess he sold those first.
                    He's going to check... but thinks he may have sold them in the first auction (I honestly didn't think about that...). He thought he had a "lot" of them....

autoforeign@gmail.com
                    67S's......

Comment

It looks like a winning bidder has to go to a warehouse and pick up the item? Or hire a subcontractor to pack and ship? Could get expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveRo View Post
                        Holy s**t!!!! Can't believe I missed the last auction. Anyone actually go and see the goods in person?
                        I went down on preview day. Quite the spectacle all that white in a white building. Only cars on display though. No parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Cabell View Post
                          It looks like a winning bidder has to go to a warehouse and pick up the item? Or hire a subcontractor to pack and ship? Could get expensive.
                          I'm lucky being in Austin as I was able to drive down. They do have a third-party providing shipping services but I heard from a friend who bought some parts that it was very expensive and he regretted buying after he saw the shipping cost.

Comment

I'm lucky being in Austin as I was able to drive down. They do have a third-party providing shipping services but I heard from a friend who bought some parts that it was very expensive and he regretted buying after he saw the shipping cost.
                            20% vig for Sotheby's as well on top of purchase price as well?

autoforeign@gmail.com
                            67S's......

Comment

20% vig for Sotheby's as well on top of purchase price as well?
                              You know it.

Comment

Working...
                              X