X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport seats - Worth the crazy money?

Starting to make plans on my 70S which has standard seats in it. I really want sport seats but I'm shocked at the prices I've been seeing. I'd appreciate opinions on ponying up for originals as opposed to saving big $$ and going aftermarket. These look nice but I've never seen them in person:

https://www.classiccarseats.com/clas.../sports-seats/

Anyone facing the same dilemma?

How bad do you want the real thing?

Let’s be honest; when it comes to seating a new, aftermarket seat is probably more practical and comfortable than an original sport seat. The problem is that they’re fake and no one wants fake stuff. It’s kind of embarrassing.

You’re bringing up a bigger issue in vintage Porschedom: Reproduction parts v. original parts.

There are very few repro parts that are so well done that they’re virtually indistinguishable from original. (Eric’s parts.) then… there’s the rest. Case in point: Porsche’s SWB signal assemblies are terrible. Candidly I don’t understand how anyone believes they’re doing a first class restoration but won’t spend the 6-10k on NOS lights.

Generally speaking, using repro parts instead of NOS or restored original will impact the car’s value. Currently and in the future.

I say suck it up and find original sport seats while you can still buy them at all.

Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
    Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

…thats the point…
      “…while you can still buy them at all.

erwin_loves_polo

Comment

If your car did not originally come with sport seats I don't see how they would add value and the reproductions are probably better than the originals. You are still going to get them recovered and new foam so they are semi reproductions anyway. The Deser.it seats look identical to me in pictures, haven't seen them real life. Stefan at GTS does very nice work, but they are a bit different from original.

Comment

If you can spring for them go original. They will add value in my opinion wether on the original build sheet or not. They are way more comfortable than the bus seats, look nicer and not fake. Some of this depends on your anatomical arrangement. As nice as some of the repros may be they do not look the same to me on close inspection. If you sell the car you can offer with or without. Then move them to your next car or sell.
          Steve Shea
          2.0L
          Last edited by Steve Shea; 05-21-2022, 04:07 PM.

Comment

There are other period options than the factory Recaros as well.. Really boils down to what your plans are for the car..

Make it a point to SIT in cars with different sportseats to get the feel of em. If you're set on factory Recaros, DON"T buy a pair on BAT. You'll pay more than top dollar for a set that's liable to be average.. Get a set of cores and send them to Tony Garcia. What you will receive in return is a set that will actually be Worth The Money and due to the craftsmanship will retain the value..

That's the last part of the 'original' equation.. Originals will retain their value if the restoration work is solid.

Comment

Great specialty shops are backed up 9-12 months currently.
              Part of the premium on BaT is based on the fact that a buyer gets to enjoy them NOW.

Impatience can get very expensive.
              Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

The original sport seats in my car, put my left leg to sleep on long trips. They do look great.

Comment

Unless you are planning to either concours compete with your car, or are trying to restore to resell for top dollar, I would simply use whatever works best for you. My 73 has 75 high back seats, for example, and they are very comfortable and I do not think they hurt the classic look of the car by much, if at all. Easy to change anytime. Almost like steering wheels, I have a few of those and change periodically..

Comment

Save the $6000 and get repos now….unless you really feel the need and pressure to do it. Keep looking for a reasonable original set and when or if you find them you can always sell your repos. Yes the trained experts will know that are not real but face it the car is for you…. not them. I appreciate a pure original 911 but at the end of the day a nicely built car is equally impressive. There are some things that a purist will definitely say are no no’s but IMO Repo sears are not one of them. Enjoy the car

Comment

One more thought, you should consider the style of seats you're wanting. If you're doing factory-style seats, with perhaps leather or pepita inserts, and if you can swing the $$, then by all means, go original. They're an investment that isn't getting any cheaper and they'll be easy to sell-on if ever needed. But if you're thinking about something more custom or personalized for your car, then I'd suggest getting a nice set of reproduction seats. Custom seats are harder to sell later on so making the investment in original seats may not make sense.

I made this decision when I built my 912/6 hotrod. I wanted something custom, decided to use Stefan at GTS Classics, and couldn't be happier with the results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5739.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	2560

Comment

Really good stuff, guys. Thanks. I'm going to do a little more research. May be back with some more questions!

Comment

Originally posted by CBA View Post
                          Save the $6000 and get repos now….unless you really feel the need and pressure to do it. Keep looking for a reasonable original set and when or if you find them you can always sell your repos. Yes the trained experts will know that are not real but face it the car is for you…. not them. I appreciate a pure original 911 but at the end of the day a nicely built car is equally impressive. There are some things that a purist will definitely say are no no’s but IMO Repo sears are not one of them. Enjoy the car
                          $6000… lol.

Respectfully disagree. Purists mock fake sport seats. Most are just too polite to do it to a guy’s face. Sport seats can set the optics for the entire car.
                          Like giving your wife a cubit zirconium necklace.
                          Maybe worse.

Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Sport seats are heavy but yes they are much better than the useless comfort seats. I personally like the RS or ST seat as it's light and comfortable and holds you in on the fast corners which is what it's all about right?

Comment

I’ve heard rumors that Recaro may be expanding its Classic line to include seats that are appropriate for F body cars. Anyone else hear that?

Comment

Working...
                              X