X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is paying these eBay prices???

I'm not talking about used and NOS, I'll pay for the good stuff all day long. I'm talking about brand new parts that are available from a dealer at a fraction of the price?

A 944 rear hatch pin for $15 pus shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275149115669

Or $6.62 from Gaudin:

https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...lt-94453854701

and...

A 911 front windshield seal for $189.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284708658417

Or $114.22 at Gaudin.

https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...el-91154122504

I could go on and on and on. And it's not like these are just asking prices. A quick search and you can find thousands of items that people are overpaying for. Sometimes double or more. It's rampant. Hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of listings.

Do people really hate dealers that much that they don't even check prices? I mean, Gaudin, Sunset, and many other dealers offer great prices every day. Much better than eBay or even sites like Pelican. So who are the people overpaying?

Just a little bit of advice, which you probably already know, but my local Porsche dealer will match the best price I can find on the internet. Just call the parts department - don't pay shipping, and avoid the hassle of a broken part. I recently bought the fiberglass RS bumpers, and my local guy was thrilled for the business, and in several decades on the job, it was only the second set he'd seen...couldn't stop talking to me about RS's...lamenting that they aren't driven anymore, lamenting the kids buying the new cars not knowing how to drive or take care of the cars...all sounded vaguely familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by rick71T View Post
      Just a little bit of advice, which you probably already know, but my local Porsche dealer will match the best price I can find on the internet. Just call the parts department - don't pay shipping, and avoid the hassle of a broken part. I recently bought the fiberglass RS bumpers, and my local guy was thrilled for the business, and in several decades on the job, it was only the second set he'd seen...couldn't stop talking to me about RS's...lamenting that they aren't driven anymore, lamenting the kids buying the new cars not knowing how to drive or take care of the cars...all sounded vaguely familiar.
      That's interesting. I never bothered to ask my local parts department. I may have to do that. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by rick71T View Post
        How much are the bumpers going for these days? Are you happy with the quality?

Comment

My local Porsche dealer parts dept gives me automatically a 10% discount on their prices - but they have matched prices from Delaware/Gaudin/Sunset in the past, and it's more convenient to pick it up locally in a few days rather than wait longer, pay for shipping or risk losing a part because Fedex or UPS don't know what they've done with the packages..

Comment

FWIW...I have periodically approached my local (Prestige Imports) dealer asking them if they would match Sunset Porsche parts prices (and save me shipping) and they declined. Most recent case in point was my interest in the newly available S 69-73 (incorrect) front coolers...huge price difference. I do use Sunset however and happily pay shipping. I wonder if it is up to the individual dealer parts departments as to how to price?

Comment

Then there are the Bring-a-Trailer prices (sold) for somewhat garden variety sets of 15X6 FUCHs...being sold for way than the usual forums we are familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by 3PCARS View Post
                Then there are the Bring-a-Trailer prices (sold) for somewhat garden variety sets of 15X6 FUCHs...being sold for way than the usual forums we are familiar with.
                Maybe the time saved by acquiring a refinished, ready-to-use set accounts for it.
                Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
                Long Beach, CA

Comment

Maybe they are new to the Vintage Porsche World and haven't found people like the folks here yet. For them maybe ebay just seems easy and fast.

Comment

Sonnen Porsche, now called Marin Porsche, I get up to 30% off, but a lot of the part# are not available.
                    They are always cheaper than pelican and ebay by far...

Comment

Originally posted by GT3Racerich View Post

How much are the bumpers going for these days? Are you happy with the quality?
                      If you need an exact quote, I'd have to dig through the binder of receipts, but I think roughly 3750 or so.

Yes, very happy with the quality. Much nicer than the repros currently on the car (which are 5 foot good, though the ducktail difference is truly worth the extra cost).

Also, the B@T prices for wheels are nuts. The car prices are incoherent, but the wheels it seems like people are desirous of being separated from their money.

Comment

Probably the same people $22k for a charred 911SC

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...gine-burn.html

Comment

OK. I'm guilty of some of this. I'll come clean. But I never knew that there were Porsche dealers that discounted. I thought this wasn't allowed by Porsche? Anyone know why some do and some don't?

Comment

Are the discounts at the dealers mentioned automatic? Or do you have to call and ask?

Comment

• mathieulecomte
                              mathieulecomte
                              '65 Bahama 912
                              mathieulecomte commented
                              Editing a comment
                              In my case the discount came as I am a local PCA member and asked about it - as for price matching some of the larger online Porsche parts outlets like Sunset, Delaware, Monmouth, I usually ask locally (Paul Miller, also a Porsche Classic dealer) and sometimes they match, sometimes they dont..

Originally posted by Keller View Post
                            Are the discounts at the dealers mentioned automatic? Or do you have to call and ask?
                            Mine do PCA on everything, but you have to make the point. The ask usually has me finding the best price at an internet dealer and then calling my local parts guy (who knows me by now), I think Gaudin and Delaware are the best, but you can do a google search for the Porsche part number. Delaware is my favored place because they don't charge sales tax and it is quicker via east coast than getting it from Las Vegas. JP probably knows who is best, but generally it isn't Sunset. I think maybe Atlanta perimeter has been good at points. Of course the dealers charge more for shipping and frequently the part needs to be ordered from Germany.

Whatever you do, never buy a current Porsche classic part from a third party vendor unless you know it is cheap relative to a dealer. Maybe stuff like the wiper fluid pump which Porsche charges 2x the price of the OEM part for the triangle P, but otherwise no. I find the same is true for other manufacturers - BMW, Land Rover - both it is usually much cheaper to buy on the internet from a dealer. I think someone made a BMW website that shops around at all the dealers to find the lowest price. We need an intrepid Porsche kid to build the same...but then we're just a bunch of old guys that can't code.

Comment

Working...
                            X