X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best S

Very subjective I know. I’m considering another car to add to the fold (refer to my username). Yes, I most certainly have a problem, or many.

Currently there is no S in the fold. What would you all consider the best year(s) to consider from ‘67, no ‘68, thru ‘73? I’m especially interested in hearing from those of you with experience in owning or wrenching on them.

Not interested in a project, or a trailer queen. I plan on driving whatever it ends up being. Must be a #’s matching Coupe w/o sunroof and in excellent or fully restored condition.

Yes, I’m aware of the current prices.

This thread could certainly help those “newer to the scene” members who are considering the same and would like to know the same. Appreciate your responses.

TIA.

Sup Doug?!

EZ: 2.2S.

I’ll get kickback from someone on this but they’re just wrong.

Now if you ran across an original paint, original owner, etc non 2.2S then you obviously have to consider it.

Cheers my friend.
    Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
    Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

I always love these conversations and the opinions they bring out. Personally, I'm very fond of both of my 69S cars. They just feel lighter on their feet to me and I'm a fan of the one-year-only clutch setup.

That said, I think so much of this just depends on how good of a car you have and how well it's set up. So many of the cars I see just aren't that good and either haven't been taken care of or have been worked on by people who don't know what they're doing. In that case, an S of any year could be better than an S of any other year. Hell. It's not just esses. I have an Italian-delivered 72T that drives better than most S cars and a '69 912 set up by Bob Jones that will give most 911T's a run for their money.

Comment

Admittedly, I'm a sucker for oil-flap '72 esses with a bit more 2.4 liter punch, but agree the MFI 2.2 S is a wondrous thing.

Even in Sepia Targa Sportomatic form.

It's remarkable how far removed they are in just a few short years from the coal-cart '67 S.
        Who thought single-circuit brakes and 4.5" wide wheels were OK on a German sports car?!?
        Bullethead
        Oil Cooled Heart
        Last edited by Bullethead; 04-21-2022, 08:54 AM.
        Sooner or later, someone else will own them all...

Comment

I am, and always have been....72S
          Formerly, 69Sman, now RuF RS.
          Bahia Red 72S
          PTS Meerblau 991.2 Speedster
          Audi RS6 Avant (Daily.)
          INCOMING: PTS Black Olive 992 GT3 w WING and PDK

Comment

Love it. First three posts vote 2.2, 2.0, and 2.4...

Comment

another vote... 2.7...the badge has a S in it so it must count!
              Cees

Comment

I go for the 2.4 because it's relatively easy to convert to 2.7. Of course, we all love most what we have.
                Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
                Long Beach, CA

Comment

I'm a 2.2 guy only because it's what I have and the only air cooled 911 I've driven. Besides who would dare challenge Frank? It's the same way with my wife. She's the best and the only one I've been with. Should I ask her if I can add a 2.0, 2.4 and 2.7 to the collection?

Comment

Originally posted by TurkisTii View Post
                    She's the best and the only one I've been with. Should I ask her if I can add a 2.0, 2.4 and 2.7 to the collection?
                    If she says yes, please ask her to call my wife and explain her reasoning in detail.

Comment

My 2.2S was magical, loved it, but you really have to enjoy a high revving car that requires a lot of shifting to keep it on the boil. When my current car was 2.4S it lacked sparkle, in its' current 2.7RS spec it is perfect. Good torque, but it loves to rev too.

Comment

My vote is for the 2.2S banshee. All a 2.4S is good for is punching out to a 2.5

Comment

Although the only S I have running is my 72 S, I think the 2.2 S is my favorite engine.
                          Why no sunroof Doug? It's the necessary third vent for Rocky Mtn airconditioning.

Comment

My vote is for a 2.2S. Be warned, driving it around town below 3k rpm will leave you confused at the hype associated with these cars... However, the hype is justified once you drive the car hard and keep the rpm between 4k and redline.

Comment

Originally posted by speedo View Post
                              Why no sunroof Doug? It's the necessary third vent for Rocky Mtn airconditioning.
                              Couldn’t agree more Lars. Race cars don’t have sunroofs. Street cars should.
                              Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
                              Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Working...
                              X