X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Bumper Guards for Our Cars from Porsche Classic

So, it looks like Porsche Classic is finally offering early bumper guards for our cars including the early solid guards, slotted guards, and the even harder-to-find, early '73 black metal guards:

https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/...257F47002C78CB

The first dealer I contacted is telling me about $350 each BUT they're 6 weeks away in Germany AND non-returnable. So I haven't pulled the trigger just yet. Still, if these are any good at all (Porsche Classic, I know) it would be huge. I had to spend $1,750 for a set of slotted guards for my '66 912 recently and would have looked at any reasonable option.

Porsche Classic (Eric Luedtke product purchaser/mgr and nasty email sender) asked if I could make them many years ago. I looked into it, but tooling was absolutely through the moon expensive, so I walked away. I know they have been looking for many years to try to get this done, and probably found the same situation with other suppliers.

I'm not sure who made them, nobody I know did. But, they've known for a long time about the ill fitting version from Tasker.

When DiMaria did the ones slotted ones for the targa, he completely "made" them perfect from a nice original pair.

Let's see if I get another email.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bumper scematic.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	3043
    Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
    autoforeign@gmail.com
    67S's......

Comment

i just ran the part # for Targa top locating pin at the Marin Porsche OEM parts page.
      said no longer available.

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post
        Porsche Classic (Eric Luedtke product purchaser/mgr and nasty email sender) asked if I could make them many years ago. I looked into it, but tooling was absolutely through the moon expensive, so I walked away. I know they have been looking for many years to try to get this done, and probably found the same situation with other suppliers.

I'm not sure who made them, nobody I know did. But, they've known for a long time about the ill fitting version from Tasker.

When DiMaria did the ones slotted ones for the targa, he completely "made" them perfect from a nice original pair.

Let's see if I get another email.....

Name:	rear bumper scematic.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	3043
        What are "slotted ones?"
        Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
        Long Beach, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Tom F2 View Post

What are "slotted ones?"
          Here's a pic of one that I found on eBay, as you can see the backside of the top on the front guard has a "slot"... this was late 65 to very early 1968 (but I'm probably wrong on the 65 part and will be corrected...). These are being sold for an embarrassing amount of money on eBay and should be listed in our "seriously" area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bumper guard slotted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.5 KB ID:	3102
          Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
          autoforeign@gmail.com
          67S's......

Comment

I'm impressed they bothered with the early-73 black guards. Would be great if they're accurate.

Scott

Comment

These are being sold for an embarrassing amount of money on eBay and should be listed in our "seriously" area.
              Agreed! And I'm still losing money on them!

Comment

Here's a pic of one that I found on eBay, as you can see the backside of the top on the front guard has a "slot"... this was late 65 to very early 1968 (but I'm probably wrong on the 65 part and will be corrected...). These are being sold for an embarrassing amount of money on eBay and should be listed in our "seriously" area.

Click image for larger version Name:	bumper guard slotted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.5 KB ID:	3102
                Thank you. Good to know.
                Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
                Long Beach, CA

Comment

What year does the non slotted belong to? I have a set of those gathering dust.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                    What year does the non slotted belong to? I have a set of those gathering dust.
                    All metal no slots? Those are 1965 parts. I'm looking for a good set if you're selling.

Comment

Name:	IMG_4080.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	3199 Yes, all metal, no slots.

Ill flick you some photos via email.
                      Last edited by 9er; 06-02-2022, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post

Name:	IMG_4080.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	3199 Yes, all metal, no slots.

Ill flick you some photos via email.
                        Haha I have a couple pairs of those ones!

Comment

Working...
                        X