X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable car lift. Anyone have one?

I've been thinking about a portable car lift for my garage. Something to get me up off the ground a little bit. Maybe this one:

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lifts/5000tl

Does anyone have any experience with these or own one? I'm interested in value recommendations and I'm curious as to how portable they really are. Could I move one on my own?

Interested in what others say as I too have been interested. A buddy in Chicago has a pair and loves them. Uses for e46 M3 and G-body regularly but I don’t think he transports.

Scott

Comment

Happy with Quickjack5000. I used it in my last engine pull with my 71 with a harbor freight lifting table and within .25 of an inch cleared the stacks.
      You have to be careful and use some slotted rubber blocks and double check your contact points as you go.

Comment

I'm also thinking about one of these.
        chiroracer
        2.0L
        chiroracer, how easy are these for a single person to maneuver and sety up?

Comment

Easy. with the quick disconnects it all breaks down into manageable components and stacks against the garage wall when not in use.

Comment

I've had a MaxJax. It works well. I can sit on a stool with wheels and work under the car. With a 8 foot ceiling the top of my 67 has 3 inches of clearance when the lift is all the way up. When the towers are unbolted you can roll them around on the wheels that are part of the towers.
            Attached Files
            Chris Pomares
            2.4L
            Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-05-2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I have also had a MaxJax, and I'm sorry I sold it when I bought a bigger lift; it would be useful to have both. Note that, though the MaxJax is portable, it does require bolt anchors be set into the concrete floor of the garage.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5C4AE29A-F6EE-4E23-A0AD-C3AEEAE87AF2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	9531 Click image for larger version

Name:	58B83864-A597-4603-AA5E-28EEBA6C7888.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	9530 I just sold mine. I’m going from a 8 foot ceiling to 14 or 16. I’m buying a full size two post. I already miss the MaxJax and I just sold it yesterday.
                Not too portable but this lift makes everything a whole lot easier.
                Chris Pomares
                2.4L
                Last edited by Chris Pomares; 02-08-2023, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I have 8ft ceilings and not much of a choice. I have had a QuickJack 5000 for a couple of years now and it works like a charm for me in my 2 car garage. I have an early 912, so a lighter engine, but using the rubber blocks provided, it gets the car high enough that I can easily pull the engine and transmission using a 500lbs lift table underneath.

The rails/lifts are fairly heavy but very manageable for me, and I am not exactly an athlete. They have wheels on one side and are fairly easy to position and connect to the hoses. The operation is also easy. All in all, it was a great buy in my case, I would recommend it. I bought mine from Costco, they have sales every so often.

When I don't use it, I often leave the two lifts/rails pushed together in the middle of the parking space and park over them..

Click image for larger version

Name:	65C708F4-013E-4358-A605-F789F18273A6.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	4101
                  mathieulecomte
                  '65 Bahama 912
                  Last edited by mathieulecomte; 06-21-2022, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Wow.. Are those some honeycomb lights? Tell us about those too.

Scott

Comment

P-Nut The lights are LED in honeycomb pattern with a rectangle around them - purchased directly from china and delivered UPS in a couple of days during the pandemic. I think I spent 400$ with shipping, it was a good deal. It's a bit of a pain in the back to install as each section is a light strip that needs to be connected, attached to the ceiling, etc.. but it produces a great amount of light and covers a full parking spot. I was originally intending to add a second after I 'tested' that one, but that is plenty of light for both spaces!

These guys have something similar - I think a better system (better connections) https://www.normalguysupercar.com/pr...ge/led-lights/

Here is another view
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1330.jpg Views:	3 Size:	104.6 KB ID:	4155​
                      mathieulecomte
                      '65 Bahama 912
                      Last edited by mathieulecomte; 06-22-2022, 05:50 AM. Reason: Added picture and link to vendor

Comment

I have a Quickjack also and highly recommend it and echo everything said above. I've occasionally used it in the driveway to change brakes etc on our daily drivers. With the wheels on one end I find it easy to move around.

One big word of caution to anyone who has one....MAKE SURE the locks are fully engaged. One time lifting my 964 I was summoned inside just as it topped out. I dropped it a bit to engage the locks, thought I heard both and visually from a distance it looked like both had engaged. I came back to the garage 15 minutes later and one side of the car had dropped over a foot. Turns out one lock hadn't engaged (obviously my fault for not checking) Neither side would move up or down. It was completely stuck. I used a floor jack to lift the car back to level, got blocks under the wheels on the low side, then lifted the car on the high side in back, which got enough weight off the high side so that it dropped back down. It was a bit nerve-racking!

Now I always put a set of ESCO jack stands "inside" the Quickjack frames when lifted so there is no way the frames could drop, regardless of reason.

Comment

Anyone have one of these?

https://www.autoliftproduction.com/en-us/autolift3000

Comment

Originally posted by Crankys Paint View Post
                            Not that one but one with a similar tilting thing.
                            But portbale it isn't really. Weighs 200kg lifts 2 ton up to ca 110cm and then tilts. So it's quite handy if you have not enough ceiling height but want to work at an acceptable height.
                            Problem is: needs more ground clearance than my car offers so I need small ramps or raise my car with two jacks and roll the thing underneath.
                            The good thing is: you can jack up prewar cars on their frame which you can't with an ordinary two post lift because of the running boards
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2205.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.5 KB ID:	4180

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170708_155251.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.3 KB ID:	4182
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by uai; 06-23-2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cwrm4 View Post
                              One big word of caution to anyone who has one....MAKE SURE the locks are fully engaged.
                              And, when you're lowering the car, make sure the locks disengage. Sometimes I have to use a screwdriver to help the lock stay disengaged as the jack is lowered.

Comment

Working...
                              X