X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smugglers box details

I am fixing the smugglers box on my September 72 car. It was mutilated in epic fashion for an aftermarket AC install back when AC installers apparently used mining tools for the job. I have a couple of questions.

When did Porsche start to omit the tabs for the gas heater insulation pad? See attached phone of a June 73 car in yellow. I am guessing that all pre-74 cars had the same lid with tabs for the insulating pad. Also, I note that the underside is black. True for all early cars?

I would like to put the correct drain tube back in my car. This apparently changed during the 73 model year, because the yellow car uses a flexible drain how. Does anyone have a correct steel tube that they would part with? See attached photo of an orange car for the tube that I am looking for.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FAD3CFA4-068B-4325-BBFD-6B14E14A543D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.8 KB ID:	10306 Click image for larger version  Name:	45C2C2DB-C203-4C37-A0D7-BD1C94786813.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.7 KB ID:	10305
    Last edited by Tom F2; 03-25-2023, 05:56 PM.
    Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
    Long Beach, CA

I think 72 was the last year for Webasto option, that's why the rear tunnel cover is no longer slotted.

Comment

I just went through this drain tube issue with my car after completing the floor pan replacement years ago I had never dealt with the drain tube, which on my car was gone. It originally was the metal tube like yours. As far as I know it’s not available, and neither is the black plastic corrugated tube. Tubing in nearly the correct size is available and could fairly easily be bent with the correct curves, then simply with a hole saw cut the right size hole in floorpan, then seal up the small gap where the tube runs through it. The hole should be on the raised portion of the pan, with the edge about 1/8-1/4” away from the interior firewall.
      In my case I ended up finding a nice original plastic corrugated tube and used that rather than the metal pipe.

Comment

Working...
      X