Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a reference on the diamond pattern vinyl material for Sport Seat Tech article

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a reference on the diamond pattern vinyl material for Sport Seat Tech article

Somebody I know had a reference for me on the correct vinyl diamond pattern supplier. I can't find it.... Help appreciated. Going to do a tech article on 67-68 sport seats. I will have Tony do 2 sets for me and have him show the work. I have some pics already of the seat frame differences which are substantial between 67 and 68.

BTW, it was Tony who did the seats that sold on BAT for that high amount last week. He stated the seats were absolutely 68 seats, and later 68 at that.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/re...omments-anchor

Thanks,
    E
    Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
    autoforeign@gmail.com
    67S's......

will you be posting the tec article here?
    i crave technical detail from people that know what they are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post
      Somebody I know had a reference for me on the correct vinyl diamond pattern supplier. I can't find it.... Help appreciated. Going to do a tech article on 67-68 sport seats. I will have Tony do 2 sets for me and have him show the work. I have some pics already of the seat frame differences which are substantial between 67 and 68.

BTW, it was Tony who did the seats that sold on BAT for that high amount last week. He stated the seats were absolutely 68 seats, and later 68 at that.
      https://bringatrailer.com/listing/re...omments-anchor

Thanks,
      E
      As of a few months ago Tony didn't have the ability to perforate the proper diamond pattern. It would be great if that's changed.

At some point the buyer of those BaT seats will understand he bought '68 seats for his 67S. One of two things will happen: He'll take the "Who cares? They're close enough." public attitude because he doesn't want to feel like a fool or he'll simply concede that he failed to carry out proper due diligence and accept that he was hoodwinked. In either case I would bet the farm that his ego won't allow that and he'll eventually buy the proper seats.
      Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
      Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Eric, I still have an NOS '68 sport seat I can post pics of if you like for your thread.
        Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Hi Eric,
          Shouldn't be the marked part of the seat be perforated also?
          Thank you.
          Best regards
          Claudius
          Click image for larger version  Name:	5322062d-2ba6-482f-81a0-0a5b253e445a-480271xxx.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	1245
          68S_SK2
          2.0S Sportkit II
          Last edited by 68S_SK2; 05-05-2022, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 68S_SK2 View Post
            Hi Eric,
            Shouldn't be the marked part of the seat be perforated also?
            Thank you.
            Best regards
            Claudius
            Not necessarily.
            At the sides they used rests they had. Mostly plain but sometimes perforated. Also at the bottom of corduroy seats they used just some vinyl rests lying around for the invisible stuff sometimes plain sometimes basketweave sometimes perforated.
            Here on this unrestored 67 you can see they used perforated at the bottom of the corduroy and plain on the side.
            btw. the perforation style is called Mk9

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030826.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	1252

Here some unrestored 67s you can see they used e.g. basketweave at the bottom of the red corduroy and plain on the side

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1140173.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.9 KB ID:	1250
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030773.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	1251
            Attached Files
            Last edited by uai; 05-05-2022, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Well, This IS the Tech Article. Based on the quick replies, and PM's I've received. All we need to do is re-title it and maybe make it a sticky? I don't know if we would get the responses if it was over in the "article" section.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help, and it's a mutually benificial thread that we can all input on. That's what this forum IS vs the other one (or what it actually used to be). I've had 2 contacts outside of here that indicate that the material or covers can be gotten out of Europe. I'll talk to Tony and see if he's willing to use covers from elsewhere for the project.

Frank Beck
              Banned
              Frank Beck No, Tony doesn't have (can't get) the correct perforations, and this of course also then extends to the headliner issue as well. That's probably going to be another tech article. And, yes, your pics will be helpful for this thread. Thank you!!

I've looked for some places that can perforate, and maybe if one of those shops is willing to do the work, maybe they can be convinced to buy the roller it would take to do this with a minimum of yardage done.

I've already got a set of original 68 seats going to Tony as we speak. He's got some pics already taken of the backs of both 67-68 (and I'll post those shortly) I have a set of 67's that I can send to him as well, and there appears to possibly be a set that can go there from a member here with a set of covers from Eurpe that are already done.

Already love this place...!

autoforeign@gmail.com
              67S's......

Comment

Agreed Eric; excited to parse details on some of the obscure but critical interior features.

To complicate this issue the diamond pattern size on sport seats is larger than headliners. And speaking of headliners... NO ONE that I've found makes the proper grey 64/65 headliner material with accurate "square" perforation pattern. Blows me away that top notch restorations are missing this critical feature. If someone else has a bug up their azz regarding this, feel free to start a proper headliner tech thread. Otherwise, I'll take the lead.
                Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

i am currently seeking goods for my 1968 911L Targa. i will sew the interior myself. comfort seats with internal headrest.
                  I have got a few samples from RELICATE with more on the way. just leather and Vinal samples for my car
                  if you visit their website, it is possible they may be able to make the perforated material you want and or perforate to your design material you supply.

Comment

Thank you, Uli.
                    They used what was available for the small parts of the seats. That explains the diversity I can see on my different sport seats!
                    Claudius

Comment

Below is a photo from Tony showing the back support frames of a 67 seat on the left and a 68 seat (w headrest provisions) on the right.

Several comments:
                      1) The top width, shoulder to shoulder is almost the same, though the pic seems to show the 67 seat being much narrower. I received another 2 pics from Tony with tape measures on both top seats and the 67 seat "might" be a 1/4 inch narrower than the 68 seat, but that's about it.
                      2) The frame on the 67 seat for the bolsters is tubular steel, and the frame for the bolsters on the 68 seats (and later) is 1/2 inch flat steel
                      3) The bolster frame on the 67 seat goes all the way to the top cross bar frame. The bolster frame on the 68 seat stops 3 inches short of the top cross bar frame.

So, an easy way to tell if you've got a 67 seat or a 68 seat in front of you (and I know the 67 seat appears smaller and has a narrower shoulder and more of a 90 degree on the top) is that you can actually feel the frame on the upper portion of the bolster.

I have a 68 passenger seat in my Golf blue RGruppe car and tested it this morning (pic below) and it's quite easy to tell that it's got the 68 type frame in it as you can squeeze the upper bolster and feel where the frame starts about 3 inches down from the frame top.

I've also included a picture from SWBSAM... and I just got his permission to post, and have encouraged Sam to post here.

Eric Click image for larger version

Name:	Sport seat from SWBSAM 1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1283 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sport seat back tony 2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1284 Click image for larger version

Name:	sport seat back 68 bolster.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1285

autoforeign@gmail.com
                      67S's......

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Beck View Post
                        Eric, I still have an NOS '68 sport seat I can post pics of if you like for your thread.
                        Take pics of not only the obvious pattern and dimpling on the top sides but, also pick an underneath corner where the vinyl hasn't been stretched and exposed to a lot of UV. I've had one original 70/71 passenger sport that was all original. Traded it to Tony plus a bit of cash to have my '72 seats redone. It was amazing what the original pattern and hole spacing looked like when first punched. I've lost a lot of very early pics of mine in a HD crash otherwise I'd post em.

Comment

And, I'd be a buyer for correctly punched vinyl yardage as I'm sending another set of seats to Tony this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by 70SATMan View Post

Take pics of not only the obvious pattern and dimpling on the top sides but, also pick an underneath corner where the vinyl hasn't been stretched and exposed to a lot of UV. I've had one original 70/71 passenger sport that was all original. Traded it to Tony plus a bit of cash to have my '72 seats redone. It was amazing what the original pattern and hole spacing looked like when first punched. I've lost a lot of very early pics of mine in a HD crash otherwise I'd post em.
                            I'll post pics but can vouch for the fact the virgin vinyl under the seat has slightly smaller diameter holes, no pucker around them, and a smaller diamond pattern. I know some have attempted to mimic the puckering on a re-upholstered seat to make it look "original" which I'm not against however, when it's done using the completely wrong pattern (square rather than diamond) like the over-priced, backdated '68 BaT seats, that completely violates the point of the exercise.
                            Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Hello Frank,
                              Over the time the diameter of the holes changes in regions of the seat with high tension of the Vinyl. The original size is shown on the Vinyl overhang.
                              Here pictures of original Vinyl of a Recaro race bucket 1968 with different perforation diameters according to the tension.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	20220506_145642.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1310 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220506_145518.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1311
                              Additional pictures of an all original like NOS 1967 Recaro race bucket.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	20220506_151937.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1313 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220506_151953.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	1312 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220506_151946.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	1314
                              Claudius
                              68S_SK2
                              2.0S Sportkit II
                              Last edited by 68S_SK2; 05-06-2022, 07:31 AM. Reason: Adding pictures

Comment

Working...
                              X