First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targa glass differences

Hello,
    I just joined that forum.
    short intro, I’m finishing the restoration of 1969 911S Targa tangerine (newly declared with my 2.2E on that registry ?) and I’m having some issues with my targa glass: my car does not have any double defrost option on the kardex (+ the switch and the relay are 1 stage only), but my targa class is a double stage one. It was probably broken and replaced in its previous life. So I found a single stage defrost glass, but the seller is mentioning it is for G body and not a LWB. He states that the class are not the same…
    I’m kind of surprised 1/ I thought G body targas only had double defrost system 2/ that there is a difference between F body and G body targa class…

Any information on that would be really appreciated.

ps: my glasses are tinted which makes it even more difficult !

If I remember correctly,
    nvr2mny
    69E 3.2MFI
    nvr2mny dealt with this quandry at one point. Any help, Doug?

Comment

Ren-

Welcome to THE forum!

I too have a 69, E not S, Targa. I believe you are correct in your thinking that F body cars had single stage defrost and G then went to 2 stage. Our E has the original glass, and it is single stage. I don’t recall ever seeing single, or double stage for that matter, being called out on the Kardex. I’ll look at ours and report back. I do know very early Targa’s had vertical defrost elements as opposed to horizontal. Probably just the SWB cars. I can’t imagine ‘why’ there would be a difference in the actual glass. That makes no sense to me unless it has to do with the seals. But, it is Porsche, so who knows.

We’d love to see pics of your S btw!

We are weeks away, REALLY JP, from taking delivery of ours, after being in restoration for, oh, years!! I’ll post pics when in our hot little hands, and heavy right foot.

Comment

I stand corrected. Single stage IS listed, which leads me to believe that: A) It was ‘an’ option B) If not ordered that way it wouldn’t have been listed C) Not sure that a double stage was another option?? Maybe Eric can chime in here.

Not sure where your located Ren, (I’m in Kansas City) but I have a few rear windows in storage. I believe them to be all LWB pieces. Have to confirm if tinted and/or defrost.
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting that it's on your Kardex. I'm going to have to look and see if it's on any of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyred View Post
            Interesting that it's on your Kardex. I'm going to have to look and see if it's on any of mine.
            Me too!

Comment

I'be got a half-dozen G-bodies in my shop right now. I'm going to look at them tomorrow and see if any are single-stage.

Comment

My 73 is double stage, I am pretty sure that apart from single or double stage all the glass is the same. I think Jim Breazile confirmed that once on an old forum. He had quite a few pieces of real glass left over when he closed.

Comment

I checked the different options list for each year:
                  No "heated rear window" mentions before 67
                  in 67:
                  9484 - Electrically heated rear windows
                  In 68:
                  9496 and 9512: Electrically heated rear windows tinted Targa
                  In 69:
                  9354 - Electric Heated tinted fixed rear windows Single stage for targa
                  9355 - Electric Heated tinted fixed rear windows Double stage for targa
                  In 70:
                  M568 - Tinted glass all around with 2stage heated rear windows Targa
                  in 71:
                  M477 - Tinted glass all around with 2stage heated rear windows Coupe
                  in 72:
                  M102 - Rear window tinted and 2 stage heated
                  in 73:
                  M102 - Heated rear window 2 stage

M102 is still present for the G/H/I/J bodies, but no mentions after (SC and 3.2...)

So for my 69, I do not have any option 9354 or 9355 on my Kardex, but I have a single stage on the car for sure!
                  So we cannot really trust the Kardex concerning the heated rear options, we can only state:
                  - the first heating option appeared in 67
                  - the 2 stage option appeared in 69
                  - G bodies may have received a single stage until the SC

As I found a single stage tinted rear targa glass from a G body, let me know if you think the size of the rear glass is different for a 69...

Comment

73 was standard heated rear window, doesn't say 2 stage but the one in mine was 2 stage.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9023.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	12521

Comment

So in a nutshell, 2 stage was optional from 1969 and probably until SCs.
                      Any information about the difference of size between the Targa rear glass of a classic and a G body?

Comment

Originally posted by renaudtwingo View Post
                        Any information about the difference of size between the Targa rear glass of a classic and a G body?
                        I know the SWB/LWB rear glass differs in that SWB cars had laminated glass while LWB cars used tempered glass. Pretty sure Jim B. told me that. But I thought the shape was the same from SWB through G-body cars. Let me see if I can confirm.

Comment

Thanks a lot JP!

Comment

So I removed my targa rear glass and it was dated from 1984 (so a 3.2 carrera I assume). So I found 2 glasses from 69. They are exactly the same. Both of them are lighter and the glass is much thinner than the 84, but the 69 are wider by 1cm!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X