Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing German sound dampening pad

Hi Everyone:

I am undergoing a bare metal restoration on my 71T and need some help with the installation of the sound dampening pads on the floor boards. I was able to source German sound dampening pads with the hex pattern (see picture below) but there is no adhesive on the underside. I believe the best solution will be a product which can be sprayed on so that there is even coverage and it does not create high and low spots. What product should I use?

Best,
    Ravi
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A554023E-0BF4-4D09-9513-F7CC022CC1E3.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1346

The old timers use brush on glue.

Comment

Here's what Tony uses. I believe you can find it in a smaller container....

https://www.dap.com/products-project...ndau-top-trim/
      Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
      autoforeign@gmail.com
      67S's......

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post
        Here's what Tony uses. I believe you can find it in a smaller container....

https://www.dap.com/products-project...ndau-top-trim/
        That's what we use too. Great stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by rgupta250 View Post
          Hi Everyone:

I am undergoing a bare metal restoration on my 71T and need some help with the installation of the sound dampening pads on the floor boards. I was able to source German sound dampening pads with the hex pattern (see picture below) but there is no adhesive on the underside. I believe the best solution will be a product which can be sprayed on so that there is even coverage and it does not create high and low spots. What product should I use?

Best,
          Ravi
          Click image for larger version

Name:	A554023E-0BF4-4D09-9513-F7CC022CC1E3.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1346
          Ravi,

Where did you source this from?

Comment

Drum roll…..

It’s actually a BMW part. I bought the Porsche sound dampening pad but it has small diamond pattern on the top and not like the original pads which have the hex pattern (at least for the 71 cars). I figured that German OEM is close enough.

/Ravi

Comment

Originally posted by rgupta250 View Post
              Drum roll…..

It’s actually a BMW part. I bought the Porsche sound dampening pad but it has small diamond pattern on the top and not like the original pads which have the hex pattern (at least for the 71 cars). I figured that German OEM is close enough.

/Ravi
              I thought about using dynamat or some other quality sound dampener. But I'm sure some of the purists wouldn't approve

Comment

IMHO, you can’t find anything closer to the factory material. Dynamat is a great product but no way close to factory-correct.

Comment

i put down some similar tar pad material for my 1968. it came in a WV box 52' wide 3mm thick i melted it on to the floor.
                  that's how it was originally done NOT GLUED
                  i do not have your material so i cannot say 100 % but i bet that is how you are supposed to do it.
                  like practically everything else these days people do take there liberty's
                  the material i have has to get VERY hot before it melts on, but once it does it hardens in place and sticks just like originally.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bob joyce View Post
                    i put down some similar tar pad material for my 1968. it came in a WV box 52' wide 3mm thick i melted it on to the floor.
                    that's how it was originally done NOT GLUED
                    i do not have your material so i cannot say 100 % but i bet that is how you are supposed to do it.
                    like practically everything else these days people do take there liberty's
                    the material i have has to get VERY hot before it melts on, but once it does it hardens in place and sticks just like originally.
                    Looks good Bob. Where did you source that material from? I have thought about reapplying that stuff, but it was a BITCH to remove.

Comment

i found it at a swap meet. the guy had it for 30 years. it came in a 54" blue VW cardboard box.
                      had to carefully unroll it after the sun was on it. it still cracked when unrolling but once you melt it,
                      it went back together.
                      it took a lot of heat to get it to stick, but once done it was just as original.
                      Attached Files

Comment

There is a stamp on the damping pad - FAIST -

this is the producer:
                        https://www.faist.de/?gclid=EAIaIQob...SAAEgLB8fD_BwE

br

haul
                        erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Many of the original sound deadening I’ve seen on the floors on model 73 were covered in body coloured overspray suggesting most were fitted before painting? There are some exceptions where floor deadening was clearly after painting due to different build procedure.

Comment

I'd love it if anyone who has some original photos of different years and the sound deadening could post them. I know little about this and would like to learn.

Comment

Dr. B. Johnson: The 911 and 912 Porsche A restorers Guide To Authenticity 11
                              Brett details sound deadening on page 27and 28.
                              He gives some details on 1965 to 1973 cars.
                              unfortunately only a few pictures of his 1968 9/12.

Comment

Working...
                              X