X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Retrofit electric AC in 1973 911T

New to this registry. I have three 911's: 1973 911T sunroof coupe (currently stripped and undergoing complete restoration and minor modifications), 1985 911 cabriolet (bone stock), and 1983 911 RSR back-date. I am currently working on my 911T and plan to install the Classic Retrofit electric air conditioning system in the car. It is on order and expected in 4 weeks or so. Any advice on the install would be appreciated. cheers, Greg

4 weeks huh?

Are you sure about that?
    Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
    Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Has this been done before? I thought this setup was for the later cars? This is the one discussed on Pelican, right?

Comment

Be careful with this, the installation manual says that you have to remove the left battery box if you are going to put the condenser in the recommended left front fender location:

https://www.classicretrofit.com/en-u...s-and-software

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 7.53.36 AM.png
Views:	239
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	2395

There are also people in hot and humid climates that have had middling results with the electrocooler. There are many threads on Pelican that talk discuss this.

Having said that, I will be installing a two condenser system in my 1977 that is getting high butterfly injection - performance be damned.

Comment

I plan to remove both battery boxes for a Carrera oil cooler in the right and the AC condenser in the left front fender. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

I have yet to see a clean front trunk installation. The air hoses are all over the place. I also have not been impressed at how good these are in really hot climates. That said every installation is different. If you really want cool go to Griffiths.

Comment

Originally posted by flatsixer View Post
              I have yet to see a clean front trunk installation.
              Bless you Saint David for not calling it a frunk!
              Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
              Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

I too hate the term Frank, another thing we have in common! I actually should have just said "trunk" its not a 914.
                Me? Saint?? hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by runner4fun View Post
                  I plan to remove both battery boxes for a Carrera oil cooler in the right and the AC condenser in the left front fender. Thanks for the comments.
                  I think a lot of people would like to see this. Please consider starting a new thread when you do the install.

Comment

I suspect many or most on this forum will disapprove of my project, as a diversion from a faithful restoration.....

When I bought the car last fall, it had undergone complete rust repairs and had a B- paint job in the original silver. It was a complete car that needed to be assembled. I'd just finished a three year 1983 SC RSR style back-date hot rod project and was looking for a new long hood project car. I basically made every mistake you can make on the last project, learned a lot and wanted to do another project. My RSR back-date came out great and is a beautiful car.

The car I found was a good fit for what I planned, a clean 1973 sunroof coupe that lacked the original drivetrain. It has an incorrect 1970 2.2L engine and 901 gear box (which I have recently sold). So, the absence of a numbers-matching pedigree, in a straight rust-free chassis, liberated me to do what I wanted. And, just to restate the obvious, it IS my car, after all.

So, I plan to use the left over SC 3L engine parts including Euro 9.8:1 pistons, a rebuilt 915 gear box, X-Factory modern EFI with ITBs, 123 Ignition bluetooth distributor, SSI exhaust, RS rear flares and fenders, a Carrera oil cooler, Classic Retrofit Electric AC, complete Carrera front and rear suspension with factory rubber, Rennshift shifter, Bilstein shocks and strut inserts, SC rear brakes and Carrera A caliper front brakes. I've added power windows.

The car will have a new interior with restored 1973 911S Recaro sport seats, new ox blood red leather interior and charcoal square weave carpet. Newly refinished Fuchs 15" x 7" and 8" wheels. The style will be an RS Touring without the duck tail and no decals. It should be a very nice, reliable and comfortable fun little car when it's finished. It will look stock.

Comment

Love it and anything that people disapprove of is always a little more fun. I'm embarking on a similar project soon turning car #301331 into a hotrod.

Project sounds great. You should start the first build thread on the new Registry.

Comment

Would like very much to follow your work on this car. Looks to be a very fun project.

Comment

Working...
                        X