Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWB windshield wiper blade: Length?

Hello,
    I know the wiper blade were silver/chrome inclusive MY 1967, supplier SWF, and black for MY 1968 and later, supplier Bosch.

The original Bosch car parts lists 12/1967 shows
    • wiper blade up to 06/67 parts No 3 398 110 456, Bosch not original supplier. (Should be SWF)
    • wiper blade later 07/67 parts No 3 398 110 467, Bosch original supplier
    But which length for the SWB cars? At some point later on the length rised up to 340mm?

Thank you in advance.

Claudius

Originally posted by 68S_SK2 View Post
    Hello,
    I know the wiper blade were silver/chrome inclusive MY 1967, supplier SWF, and black for MY 1968 and later, supplier Bosch.

The original Bosch car parts lists 12/1967 shows
    • wiper blade up to 06/67 parts No 3 398 110 456, Bosch not original supplier. (Should be SWF)
    • wiper blade later 07/67 parts No 3 398 110 467, Bosch original supplier
    But which length for the SWB cars? At some point later on the length rised up to 340mm?

Thank you in advance.

Claudius
    SWB cars are 330mm. Never heard of them going to 340mm. Perhaps the rear?

Comment

Thank you, John. That are my thoughts also.
      But I could only find Bosch 340mm black old style front blades for MY 1968. There are black Champion 330mm available, but no black Bosch 330mm.
      Any source I could check for the Bosch wiper blades?
      Thanks.
      Claudius

Comment

SWB silver is 330mm, and only supplier is SWF for OEM fitment, this through 1967 production.

While your Bosch parts list may show they were an original supplier, I haven't ever found a silver blade that was Bosch.

For 1968 fitment, again it was SWF fitment for the cars, and I have reason to believe that Bosch was never fitted as I have never found an early Bosch blade in all the boxes I reviewed of old wiper blades at several old parts shops shops. Literally hundreds of blades and an occasional Bosch blade, but they were clearly a later production.

In terms of the blade length of the black SWF blade, they are slightly longer at 335+ mm.

Now... in terms of the way the factory fit the wipers on the cars, the factory fit wipers "high" on the windshield for the most part. We like to fit our wipers lower for some reason, but for the most part the factory pictures at the time showed they should be fitted higher.

Further... I believe that the extra 5mm was for 2 reasons. 1) For the 914 windshield (which may be larger), and 2) for a larger sweep of the windshield overall.

Note that if the wipers are fitted low on the windshield (particularly the 914) they will touch the rubber on the drivers side. Two reasons for this: 1) the blade is longer, but the main reason is that they switched the drivers side wiper arm to a straight arm in 1968, when previously it had been bent, and then would slightly angle up on the drivers side. To me this angled wiper arm on the driver side looks better.

Note that if you would like this "bent" wiper arm for a 68+ car for the drivers side, I can provide them as I made wipers for RHD cars which needed them.

E
        Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
        autoforeign@gmail.com
        67S's......

Comment

Hi Eric,
          I totally agree about the 330mm silver SWF blades and about the wiper arms positioning, but I'm not sure about the MY1968 blades.
          Do you have a picture of an original black 330/335mm SWF black wiper blade?
          My car has the original wiper arms which are different to the new ones available now.
          Here are the best time period pictures for MY 1968 I could find and an excerpt of the original Bosch parts list 12/67 (o in the last column=Bosch was not OEM supplier).
          Claudius
          Click image for larger version  Name:	capture1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.9 KB ID:	2366 Click image for larger version  Name:	1500H-2193.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.4 KB ID:	2367 Click image for larger version  Name:	porsche_911_l_2.0_coupe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.7 KB ID:	2368

Comment

Is it a SWF or Bosch blade on a 1968 MY car?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	1500H-2193_blade.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	2370

Comment

Your blade is Bosch, based on the structure of the blade in fron of the attachment point of the arm.

Here's my assortment of blades, all SWF. Perhaps it was a ROW or USA thing for Bosch vs SWF? Both SWF and Bosch are mentioned in the parts books, but I've never found a vintage Bosch except for NOS in a Bosch marked package.

Measurements are included, note that they are all 340+ to 350mm.

autoforeign@gmail.com
              67S's......

Comment

Eric,
                Thank you very much for your information!
                Claudius

Comment

Pics didn't load, here they are.

Name:	Wiper black vintage 340 to 350.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	2409 Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper black vintage lot.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	2410

autoforeign@gmail.com
                  67S's......

Comment

Had 10-15 pairs NOS Bosch and all unboxed ones had a weak connection of the lip after 40-50 years of storage.
                    The blades are 335mm long.
                    Replaced them for my cars with SWF 267, which are 340mm long. Once mounted the additional length of 5mm will be on one side, not 2,5mm on both ends.
                    I´ve choose the original higher setting on most of my cars and have the addition 5mm on the left end of the left wiper and on the right end of the right wiper.
                    It´s working for years without any trouble.

Name:	FF078350-0613-4287-BE57-D4A7CF8F0745.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	2588

Name:	7415016F-D59B-49AD-AE64-E883BAC6A891.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	2589

Name:	3139B386-8ADC-4CC7-A0A4-80171C741913.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	2590
                    Dirk07
                    Gipsy KIng Diggler
                    Last edited by Dirk07; 05-23-2022, 01:13 AM. Reason: Pictures aded

Comment

Swf wbn 101 194
                      330mm
                      Attached Files
                      haul
                      it´s easy on a triumph
                      Last edited by haul; 05-23-2022, 03:15 AM.
                      erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Anyone have definitive info on the rear wiper blade?

Comment

Working...
                        X