Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice or parts to restore climate control unit in dash of '72 911T

Hi folks, the climate control unit in the dash of my restored '72 911T has some cosmetic damage (it's fully functional, though). From my initial amateur searches, it's part #91161311100, and most used ones look to be in about the same condition. I see that Pelican has the chrome surround, and Sierra Madre offers replacement knobs, but I haven't found any good options for the main panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1972-911t-heater-control.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	2516

Any suggestions for approaches, suppliers or restorers who could help?

Thanks,

-- Tom
    Attached Files

I've had good luck restoring these, although removing them from the dash is a PITA,

Comment

Does anyone have a “how to” on doing this? Specifically paints (colors) used, how they stripped it down, etc.

lm in a similar boat with mine and was just going to reuse it. If I can restore it and make it durable / look nice I’d be interested.

Stretch

Comment

I am in the same boat, though mine is a little nicer. Is there a reference for what bits got what paint (or someone I can send my unit off too?).

If someone wants a nice bezel, I may have one to part with. I know I have two spares that are originals and in very good condition, I just need to get my targa back to confirm that one is nice enough that I don't need to replace.

Comment

We found that Wurth Flexi-trim interior paint was a good match for the panel. Nothing more than a light sand a couple coats of:

https://www.stoddard.com/nla09505300.html

For the colored inlays, we've used a couple methods.

First, there's a guy on Pelican, I think, who is producing them as stickers. I'd need to track down the link but I really didn't like them very much.

We also did at least one using nail polish that we applied with a hypodermic needle allowing it to pool in the recessed inlays.

But we ended up with good old fashioned, water-based hobby paint that we bought at Michaels. We were able to mix paints for exact matches and just used a small paint brush to apply multiple layers. Being water-based, it was easy to clean-up with a damp rag as we went along so we could stay exactly within the perimeters of the inlay cavities.
          JP
          aka LiveFromNY
          Last edited by JP; 05-24-2022, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks, JP. I appreciate the advice on products & methods (and every time I look at it, the post gets better! ;-) ). I'm not sure I want to tackle this myself, so I'm going to keep looking for someone to help me with it.

Comment

Working...
            X