X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport seat double/single lockers?

I'm shopping for a set of sports seats and keep seeing references to single and double "lockers". Can someone define this for me? Is this referencing the seats or the "mounts" as I seem to see both being referenced? Are both correct for an early 911? Is one more desirable than the other?

In short strokes... its about the slider mechanism for the base. In Sept of 73, the sliders incorporated a second "finger" to engage the track for the fore-aft movement, probably for safety concerns. Prior, there was a single "locker/finger" that engaged the track when you moved your seat fore-aft. Note that some of the hardware for this "double locker" started to appear on the seat base prior to the Sept 73 date. The double locker feature was engaged via a cross base arm that engaged the second finger when you lifted the fore-aft release. There was a pivot point for the "arm" which had 2 sections to it, and this pivot point was found on seats in 1972 as well as they prepared to fully install the double locker feature.

All of this description could have been handled with a picture of the 2 versions of seat bases... however most of my stock is located 3 hours from here and I'm too lazy to go get pictures elsewhere.... This is one of the reasons I'm selling my 67S targa, which is to try to get enough $$ build on my local property a facility to house all my cars and parts in one location....

I'm sure others will chime in.

Edit: Sorry, I meant Sept 1972 for the 1973 model year. The information is in the workshop manual. I have stated Sept 1972 in other posts on the old site..
    tks,
    E

E
    soterik
    HTH....!
    Last edited by soterik; 05-25-2022, 02:35 PM.
    Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
    autoforeign@gmail.com
    67S's......

Comment

My understanding is the Sports Seats with the twin pawl locking mechanism began to be introduced mid October 1972.

I have seen a few of the early RS built calendar 72 with single locker seats some with unused pivot.

As in other part supercession practices maybe there was a phasing-in starting with that mid October 1972 date on “sports” seats? Porsche being thrifty were known to sometimes consume existing inventory of parts. If so, I wonder might that thrifty practice be more likely for examples not destined to USA with package of crash safety measures around cusp of 1972/3 maybe being driven from there?

Not relevant to the original question but the introduction date for twin lock mechanism dates on “standard” rather than “sports” seats varies for North American c.f. rest of world. North America double-lock “regular” seats were introduced from July 1972 — so that geographic market’s cars changed couple of months earlier than on RoW “standard” seats that began in September.

Don’t know about locking mechanism on the so called tombstone seats for 911 that were changed as part of the model year 74 significant G model facelift but I’d assume not so relevant to question as that would probably be after the summer factory shutdown 1973?

Steve
      Last edited by 911MRP; 05-25-2022, 12:20 PM.

Comment

OK, so if I'm understanding this correctly, the "single locker" bases would be correct for my 1970 car. 2 more questions. Will both the "single locker" and the double locker" seats fit my 1970 car? And are the seats specific to a single or double locker base? Or will all LWB sport seats fit both bases. Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

Single or double lockers will fit in your car.

Comment

Now that you’ve identified the model year I expect helpful knowledgeable folks like Uli will advise on the nuances. I expect you need to avoid double lock including ones with provision of (unused) pivots, the later flame retardant material used for model 73 and maybe the electrical gubbins used for the (rather tacky) fasten seatbelt lights used for cars in North America
            Last edited by 911MRP; 05-25-2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

My May 73 build came with double locker sport seats. I was my understanding they were for safety reasons starting in January 73 DOT regs. The single lockers had been identified to slide out in accidents.

Comment

Sorry i meant sept 1972... Which i have posted in the past, on the other site. My error....

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0370.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	2759
                soterik
                HTH....!
                Last edited by soterik; 05-25-2022, 02:35 PM.
                Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
                autoforeign@gmail.com
                67S's......

Comment

I am now cleaning up my double locker bases and will try to post a photo.

Comment

Originally posted by runner4fun View Post
                    I am now cleaning up my double locker bases and will try to post a photo.
                    Please... I'm a visual learner.

Comment

Working...
                    X