X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth streaming for an early car?

Anyone have a suggestion for a stereo that with bluetooth streaming that's appropriate for our cars? I'm trying to convince my wife to take a road trip with me and if she could stream music from her phone that would go a long ways. I've look around and the options seem limited if you won't cut you dash which I won't. The RetroSound people make several "dual shaft" models that will fit an early dash but look anything but German. Anyone have a better suggestion?

Hey Dave. What's in your dash now? If you're still running an original Frankfurt I have an option you might like.

Comment

Yep. Original Frankfurt still sounds great after 50 years!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveRo View Post
        Yep. Original Frankfurt still sounds great after 50 years!
        OK, then here's what I've done to several of my cars and I've been very happy.

If you look at the back of your Frankfurt, you'll see a DIN plug (often covered by a plastic cap). You can use this plug to connect a bluetooth receiver for a completely stealth install that plays through your stock radio.

First, you'll need a small bluetooth receiver. There are several on the market. I've been using this one lately:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wat...YY9/ref=sr_1_3

You'll also need an RCA to 3.5mm female/female adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ilpage_o00_s00

Install the bluetooth receiver under the dash near the radio and connect to 12v switched power. Then plug the RCA/3.5mm adapter to the RCA's on the bluetooth receiver.

Next, you'll need one of these iPod adapters from Auto Atlanta:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-I...RMKRAD001.html

That one will fit most of our mono Frankfurts. Later cars will use this one:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-I...RMKRAD002.html

And very early cars may use this one:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-I...RMKRAD003.html

If you look at the back of your Frankfurt, you'll see a DIN plug with either a 5-pin or a 7-pin input. It's best to count the pins before you order your adapter.

Plug the male DIN plug of your iPod adapter into the female DIN on the back of your radio and attach the rocker switch to the bottom of your radio with a piece of double sided tape. Connect your previously installed bluetooth receiver to the male 3.5mm male connector on your iPod adapter. These are small parts and they'll all tuck up nicely under your dash with a zip tie.

When you're done, just connect your phone to the bluetooth which then sends the signal to your radio via the iPod adapter and uses your radio's amplifier to power your dash speaker. You can use your radio's volume knob to adjust the volume but make sure your phone volume is up on your phone as well. If you ever want to listen to AM/FM, just reach up under your radio and switch the hidden rocker switch. Switch it back to return to bluetooth.

One note... Lots of companies make these iPod adapters. You can use any of them but I recommend that you buy one that has a rocker switch. Some of these are automatic and are supposed to auto-switch when they sense a bluetooth signal but I've found them to be unreliable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Now that's slick. Looks like I have a weekend project lined up!

Comment

Try https://www.outofsightaudio.com/. I have (1) each in my 356 and 914. Going to put one in my 911 coupe too. All cars have radio delete plates. So much happier with this than the custom shop model I had for my 356. I met the owner of the company when I purchased a car from him. He's quite the wrench himself. An electrical engineer by training, he designed and made these as a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post

OK, then here's what I've done to several of my cars and I've been very happy.
              I can vouch that this configuration works well as I own one of JP cars which he's equipped with Bluetooth support. Mine has a different Bluetooth module that's NLA. Since the Bluetooth module is wired to 12v switched power, your phone connects automatically like modern cars. I plan to install the same on my 2002tii with a Frankfort stereo.

Comment

A better question is how to get decent music sound in an air cooled 911. Personally, I think it cannot be done. There's too much ambient noise and there's no good place to put a subwoofer. I just use earbuds and my iPhone. I use one of the iPhone mounts that clips to the clock.
                Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
                Long Beach, CA

Comment

Another alternative.
                  For long trips I prefer Sirius XM as an input, streaming coverage is spotty. One of those wireless battery powered speakers will give much better sound than the tinny dash speaker.

Comment

I agree with Tom F2.
                    improve the sound? It’s possible on later air-cooled cars. The single speaker of the early dash does not lend itself well to cabin-filling sonic joys.

Comment

What about simply buying a high-end portable Bluetooth speaker and streaming your favorite playlist from your smartphone?? This method allows you to keep the stock radio and speaker unmolested.

Comment

I use one of these and just pick it up on FM:

https://smile.amazon.com/Bluetooth-T...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I have a Rennline phone mount, short USB charge cable so I keep my phone charged and run Waze for nav and speed traps...

It's a good combo in my opinion...

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by rgupta250 View Post
                          What about simply buying a high-end portable Bluetooth speaker and streaming your favorite playlist from your smartphone?? This method allows you to keep the stock radio and speaker unmolested.
                          this is my plan (with a radio delete plate in the dash). I believe there was a post on pelican about using this speaker mounted in front of the pass seat like a fire extinguisher.

Comment

My kids bought me a small Bose bluetooth speaker (same tangerine color as the car!). I drop it under the passenger seat, connect with my phone, and done. It totally fills the car with sound, as loud as I want.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up installing JP's recommendation as I wanted a stock look, nothing that I'd need to charge or take in or out of the car, and no cords or speakers rattling around or looking out of place. Took me a couple hours but installed smoothly and sounds MUCH better than I expected. That single dash speaker certainly performs better with a clean, digital input.

Comment

Working...
                              X