X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank coating for a '71?

What are people using to coat fuel tanks? I read about Wurth Stone Guard and it appears to be the correct texture but it's black. Are people painting their tanks after coating them? Seems that paint over the stone guard risks damaging easily.

Wurth Stone Guard is the stuff. Tinting the product prior to spraying or painting after Wurth is applied both work. The texture and color is where the magic comes in.
    Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
    Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Originally posted by dogleg View Post
      What are people using to coat fuel tanks? I read about Wurth Stone Guard and it appears to be the correct texture but it's black. Are people painting their tanks after coating them? Seems that paint over the stone guard risks damaging easily.
      It's also available in grey but harder to find:

https://goodspeedmotoring.com/product/2580/

The Wurth gun does a nice job of applying it properly:

https://www.rennline.com/wurth-spray-gun-sku-wu-1063/

Comment

My understanding is that the correct factory color for a 71 can be achieved by mixing SKS Stoneguard Black and SKS Stoneguard Grey with a 1:1 mix ratio.

Comment

Re mix of black & grey …..don't think that will match very well
          I recently did mine and took my rusted out tank and cut of the best preserved portion of the neck and used as sample
          My paint shop & I worked to get it very close …..we did need to add some sepia, ochre
          Texture was UPOL and then painted with the special epoxy mix Click image for larger version

Name:	2B25BD7B-0450-4790-82B3-855A524BD722.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	7113

Comment

I used Wurth SKS Stoneguard black then painted with Rustoleum Industrial light machine grey paint. Looks darn close to the original color to me. Haven't had problems with chipping, but I do have the perlon trunk carpet covering it so that mostly protects it.

Comment

You gotta wait a LONG time for the SKS to completely dry though. It has somewhat of a oily feel to it after drying to the touch. Like a week or more. And apply more than you think you need to get the texture look you want, because it shrinks alot. And definitely buy the good gun with adjustable tip, helps get the right texture.

Comment

Working...
              X