X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct orange hood badge?

I really want to replace my Porsche Classic hood badge with an original but with the prices of good ones I want to make sure I get the right one for my car. Obviously, there's a ton of information out there on various sites but wondering if anyone has ever come to a definitive conclusion about the various varieties and the year the appeared?

Lots of pictures, please. I get confused on this subject, too.
    Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
    Long Beach, CA

Comment

I love that we've been online a whole 3 days and we've already got our first orange bar badge post. Some things are timeless.

That said, and IMHO...

I've spent a ton of time looking at all of these so-called "varieties". At one point i was even keeping a spreadsheet with production dates of cars that I believed to be original and their various badge anomalies. Yes, I know, get a life. After a hundred or so entries, I basically gave up.

The one variation I think most of us agree on is the smooth back/pebbled back variation. In general, smooth back emblems came on earlier cars and pebbled back emblems came on later cars. I have three very original SWB cars that I am confident were delivered with smooth back badges - a '65, a '66 and a '68. I also have three very original LWB cars that I am sure came with pebbled back badges - a '71, a '72 and a '73 (plus two original '74 cars). That leaves the in-between years of 1969 and 1970. Personally, I do own a very original 69S that I believe came with a smooth back badge. But I wouldn't bet my life on it and I've heard/seen original cars for both years that went both ways. All of this leads me to believe that 1969-70 were the transitional years and both badges are technically correct. But that's just my best guess. Remember, if we're right that the smooth badges were earlier and pebbled badges were later, then you should never see a pebbled badge on an early SWB car. Of course, you could absolutely see an original smooth badge on a later car as everything we know about the early days of the factory tells us that they didn't waste parts. If someone found a dusty box of smooth back badges in 1973, those were definitely going on cars!

As for the seemingly endless variations in castings and enamel (the bar over the P, the chest "horn" variations, etc), I could never get enough good data to make even an educated guess at their specific years. I do have nice examples of pretty much everything on the shelf. I'll take some individual photos when I'm at my shop after Carlisle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	badges.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	589

Comment

the legendary hood crest picture..
        erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Originally posted by haul View Post
          the legendary hood crest picture..
          The beauty of a new site - everything old is new again...

Comment

to come back to the crest - the safest is still to have a close look at the horse, the tail, the head hair, and if it has the „sternum“ at the body on the front legs….of course not to forget the rear stamping AR, the encircled R, and 901, not more, not less…
            no „made in germany“,
            no 00….020…027…
            Attached Files
            haul
            it´s easy on a triumph
            Last edited by haul; 04-25-2022, 12:35 AM.
            erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Not trying to steal thread but as an aside I just sent one to be redone per JP's suggestion on another sire. Karla Maxwell. Will report here when received. She told me she would be slow because all the high dollar aficionado's want their badge for Pebble Beach. Back to the topic at hand
              Last edited by Doigthom; 04-25-2022, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Data point, my 1/70 S has a smooth back badge. FO SHO, was the original badge..

Comment

Anyone have a really good one for sale?

Comment

So starting pulling out parts this past weekend as the 69S came back from the painter and have started putting it together. Found this badge 2 or 3 years ago on Ebay motors with a BIN of $75. Snatched it up even though couldn't tell if it was the real deal (pics were not great) and put it away with the hundreds of other parts. Now looking at it I'm pretty sure it's real going off the rest of this thread. Pretty excited if so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Badge 1.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	3956 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Badge 3.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	3957 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Badge 2.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	3958
                    Attached Files

Comment

Absolutely real. Nice score.

Comment

I think my question would be,.. does anyone have a true reproduction that actually looks like a patina'd original? To me (and completely imho) I've never seen an old one that wasn't real and you knew it basically instantly. The old (30 years ago) Stoddard reproduction badges were so obvious that it wasn't even close to a judgement call, and I still have a new one of those as I recall. Not sure about the ones that Aase was doing a short while back if they could be "patina'd" to look like a true old one. Has anyone "patina'd" the new Porsche ones?

I used to have a quite a trove of them years ago, but as I sold a few cars about a dozen years ago (to start the business and also to retire some debt and refinance and semi retire etc. etc), I put the really nice badges on those 4 cars. I then put an NOS one on the SWT targa and then I've got maybe a half dozen left.

Love that picture btw...

Just my .02.
                        Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
                        autoforeign@gmail.com
                        67S's......

Comment

I can pretty much tell instantly by the pebbling backgrounds. NONE of the repros put in the time and effort to do the smaller, random, overlapping divots.

Comment

Working...
                          X