X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hella 139's

Since I pretty much refuse to post on the other forum... and haven't for well over a year. I may occasionally choose to re-post here.

A question has been asked regarding Hella 139 fog lights, the version sometimes called 169, but it's the same bulb assembly whether top mounted (for other uses), or the "back" mounted version that was used starting on the 1969 models as a replacement for the Hella 128.

The question revolves on whether there is a glass only being made. I haven't ever seen such... I've got quite a few sets of these lights, including NOS. Reason being is that I've been looking at reproducing them for many years, but I've been held back as there has appeared to be new ones still in the marketplace at least until a couple of years ago, and the investment in manufacturing is nothing short of major commitment in tooling but also in a production run that goes on a shelf that's costly and also takes up a lot of space (which as of late is getting more expensive and I'm running out of). Given that they've been semi-recently in the marketplace I've been reluctant to make the commitment should Hella decide to come back with them again. I've also got other items I can still make that aren't available, or a re-run of an item that I'm out of (Cibie hood mount rally lights). So, for the moment I'm sitting on the sidelines on this light assembly.

So, I've only seen "assemblies" that are glued together reflector and glass, and have never seen them separated, but I would have to guess they do exist.

Anybody seen or own just the glass? And note that I've only had a fog version, never a driving light version.

E
    Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
    autoforeign@gmail.com
    67S's......

Thanks for this Eric. Do you know where the lens/reflector assemblies are available?
    John Audette
    www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

• soterik
      soterik
      HTH....!
      soterik commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never seen a reflector/lens assembly separately available from a "retailer", only from individuals on the forums or ebay. That being said, it appears the route66kix has a few reflectors "only" available. Note that the lens/reflector assemblies that I bought from individuals, and all the ones I have are "glued together" and don't have foam seal like the later 118's.

So being astute product developer. Do you know if the Chinese $200 dollar heat exchangers bolt up and fit ...

Comment

• soterik
      soterik
      HTH....!
      soterik commented
      Editing a comment
      no clue... not my area of expertise. I know that JP Dansk is manufacturing in both Denmark and China. I've seen some pics from Marek that indicate that the SSI
      s were being made in Denmark. Quality of the 356 exhaust components would lead me to believe they were from China. Who's offering $200 heat exhangers,... that seems almost impossible given freight costs (size and weight).

Auto Atlanta

Comment

Originally posted by bob joyce View Post
      Auto Atlanta
      I'm not seeing anything for $200 maybe your missing a zero? Link?

autoforeign@gmail.com
      67S's......

Comment

go to site
        click on 911
        under 911 parts and accessories
        911 1965-69 shop hard parts click
        Fuel/ exhaust click
        click on either #9 or #10 911 exaust system
        click on the part # it says $703.00 here
        It takes you to 4 offerings the bottom on is part # R9471L ... $202.50
        I have my order in for Right and left .
        3 weeks for delivery
        It apears you can just go to the site and enter the R9471L in search then scroll down
        Last edited by bob joyce; 11-21-2022, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Update: got email from Auto Atlanta They say the cost for the "new batch" of these will be $370.00
          That is now reflected in their website.
          Explanation is that it is Tasker's China made product???

Comment

Yes, quite possibly so.

Is this a question on whether it's actually Taskers production (I'm guessing so) or that production costs have increased such that the retail went from $202.50 to $370.

From a production standpoint, it's quite possible that the new costs have gone up so dramatically that $370 is the "new normal". Particularly if AA had been sitting on an old production run of product (at significantly lower cost) and finally ran out.

Producing anything right now is a "chore" with signficantly higher costs from actual production, raw materials, to the shipping process due to higher fuel costs etc. You see it at your grocery store and it's here in your hobby as well.

Eric

autoforeign@gmail.com
            67S's......

Comment

Question was for general information.
              They said it was Tasker.
              so, i was hoping to get a quality/fitment assessment.
              Has anyone used these and remarked
              I know way back when the Tasker bumper deco's were a problem for fit.
              thanks for the reply.
              enjoy
              bob

Comment

Nope, not had a set.

Good Tasker story... Gary Emory has been doing business with them for years, and he got a run of bumper deco in from them, and it was sooo soft it would literally droop when you held it up. Gary calls up Tasker to tell him about the droop,... Tasker apologizes, but Gary says "no" keep on making them this way as we can actually now mold them to fit the car better .

Like many manufacturers, a different run from a supplier, either manufacturer, plater, polisher, etc, can be better or worse from the last one. So, Tasker might have a poor run of a particular item, and then the next one might be great.

Trying to make old school products with old school production/manufacturing techniques is not easy, and there's a fair amount of "loss" in the process depending on the product. A lot of producers will just "ship and repent"... or hope you don't complain.

Eric

autoforeign@gmail.com
                67S's......

Comment

yes... decades ago, i had to make relief cuts (the embossment under the rubber) in order to fit them....
                  nice story
                  thanks
                  bob

Comment

I've managed to find four NOS loose lenses...
                    John Audette
                    www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Working...
                    X