X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part number??? 72/73 Front Latch Panel for AC Cars

We're struggling to find a correct latch panel with the large blower hole for 72/73 AC cars. The only part # we can find is 901 501 031 22 and that corrosponds to the non-AC panel. Anyone have a correct part number? How about a part number for the large rubber grommet that fits the blower hole? Anything to advance my cause.

Click image for larger version

Name:	latch.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	8758

Damn JP I finally see something slip by you, gold cad on the locking mechanism of a 73? I know it looks nicer.
    Why not just drill a hole to the required size, but it looks like that was done already. As for the grommet, did the diameter change on later cars? I think my 81 used the same size blower.

Comment

Originally posted by flatsixer View Post
      Damn JP I finally see something slip by you, gold cad on the locking mechanism of a 73? I know it looks nicer.
      Why not just drill a hole to the required size, but it looks like that was done already. As for the grommet, did the diameter change on later cars? I think my 81 used the same size blower.
      You think for sure? I tend to think that all lower latches up to 1969 were silver with yellow hardware. But after that I'm not sure. My 48k-mile 72S has a yellow plated lower latch but you need to look close as everything open to the air has faded. Look underneath and it's bright yellow. There was also a 38k mile 72T I went and examined when it was listed on pcarmarket.com and it also had a very faded yellow lower latch. The car in my photo was previously restored prior to my restoration but I replated what I believe was the original latch which also showed signs of very aged yellow plating. All that said, I've also seen cars with the silver latches so I can't say for sure. I know over at the old hang there was a discussion once that ended with "maybe both". I'd love to know for sure.

As for the grommet, didn't the hole become square on the later cars?

Name:	87_silver_911_eba.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	8769
      JP
      aka LiveFromNY
      Last edited by JP; 12-02-2022, 08:54 PM.

Comment

PS, that yellow car is just an example. Not the car I need the part for.

Comment

Maybe different suppliers? My late 73 has silver with yellow bolts since new, although I prefer the look of the yellow and recently replaced my strikers in yellow. I did keep the old ones even though the plastic is broken.
          For reference, the 70S that Dave Conklin documented has everything silver.

Comment

Front upper and lower latch and receiver on every car I've ever worked on including up to 73 are silver. I have seen the rear latches in 73 go yellow but not the front. I have seen the bolts on a 73 front lower latch yellow but the latch and receiver always silver. I like the silver as it matches the ID plate.

Comment

My 1973 911T that I bought new at Carlsen Porsche has a gold lower latch in the front and a silver latch up top. Both upper and lower are gold on the rear. My two-owner, low-mile '69S has silver latches but gold bolts. I think all LWB cars had gold bolts regardless of the silver or gold plating of the latches.
              Last edited by rubyred; 12-05-2022, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• longballa
                longballa
                1972 3.2SS
                longballa commented
                Editing a comment
                Almost every 70-72 I've seen have never had yellow bolts. Hardware is silver just like the latch and receiver. Only the spring is yellow. What's the build date of the 73? I do think there was a transition to the yellow in front later in the 73 year.

Originally posted by rubyred View Post
              My two-owner, low-mile '69S has silver latches but gold bolts. I think all LWB cars had gold bolts regardless of the silver or gold plating of the latches.
              I have three very original '69 cars and all three have silver latches with gold bolts. Same as my one-owner, original paint '68 912.

Comment

Originally posted by longballa View Post
                I like the silver as it matches the ID plate.
                I also prefer the silver latches with gold bolts. Looks like jewelry.

Comment

Any comments from anyone on the latch panel with the round AC blower hole that I'm seeking?

Comment

Did you call Restoration Design and ask Alex? They might make it.

Comment

Originally posted by longballa View Post
                      Did you call Restoration Design and ask Alex? They might make it.
                      Left them a VM today!

Comment

My 1968 912. 66k miles, original paint and never apart, one owner for 50 years.

Front silver latch with gold Kamax bolts.

Name:	IMG_6788.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	8807

Name:	IMG_6789.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	8808

Comment

Yeah, I hear you gold bolts up to 69 but I'm a 70-73 guy and have personally tore down one owner survivor cars that were not repainted and the 70-72's have silver latches and receivers in front with silver hardware. Typically the bolts said GOBI on top but I've seen other markings also. I tore down a 72 that was only on the road for 2 years as it was hit bad in an accident and then put in storage until I tore it apart for parts. Silver hardware on all the latches. The hood bolts are also silver with a black spring ring and silver flat washer. The yellow zinc bolts are on the door strikers and bolts that hold the engine lid to the hinges and rear hinges to the body.

Comment

JP, I think the reason you can’t find a part number for the panel is because there isn’t one. I believe there was a template that aligned with the other outer 4 quarter sized holes and they simply drilled the large hole.

Comment

Working...
                            X