X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current curiosity

I'm a craigslist cruiser and not ashamed. My favorite category these days is tools. Over the last couple of years I've noticed anvils creeping up in price. Survey the ad below and tell me what's wrong with this picture?

Haybudden Blacksmith Anvil 203# - tools - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

The old guys I know who actually know how to use an anvil would never, ever spend more than $300-400 on one. Maybe, just maybe more if it had history like someone famous died while using it or the first connecting rod was shaped on it.

Is it cool for nouveau gearheads/fabricators/wannabes/steampunk geeks to use an anvil for decor? What am I missing?
    Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
    Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

maybe it is the popularity of the history channel? "forged in fire show"
    just a guess...

Comment

Sadly, I have to admit to being one of those guys who buys vintage tools as art as opposed to having any use for them. Drives my wife insane but I like having them around.

Comment

Guys
        we do need some photos !

Comment

Stuff is stuff...
          John Audette
          www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-05-07 (2).png
Views:	320
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	1350 Anvils are crazy prices on markets here in Australia also, I can't offer any insight.
            Last edited by 9er; 05-06-2022, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Probably no one making them anymore+shipping costs+raw material costs

Comment

Every seen what a red handled Klein screwdriver goes for?
                Ah, but I was so much older then
                I'm younger than that now....

www.autoforeignservices.com
                autoforeign@gmail.com
                67S's......

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post
                  Ever seen what a red handled Klein screwdriver goes for?
                  Eric, at least a tool kit enhances the overall value of the car so I actually embrace that!

Originally posted by flatsixer View Post
                  Probably no one making them anymore+shipping costs+raw material costs
                  That's a reasonable explanation David, but it still takes a disruption in the anvil market (can't believe I even said that ) from "new" buyers to actually increase prices. Again, every single pro fabricator I know would never, ever pay this kind of dough for an anvil so it sounds like boutique buyers who are not actually using them for their utility are driving increases. It never occurred to me to have an interior decorator assist with selling my old tools! lol

Update: I did some anvil hunting across the U.S. and realized my numbers are skewed. Just like homes, values are over-inflated out west. Midwest and NE anvil prices are much more realistic... but still pricy. What also occurred to me was that old timers will never need to buy an anvil so it doesn't really matter what they would pay!

My final analysis is that increased prices are caused by popularity in blacksmithing (Oops. Don't watch the History Channel) and new people getting into the art of hammer sculpting.

Frank Beck
                  Banned
                  Last edited by Frank Beck; 05-06-2022, 08:37 PM.
                  Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
                  Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

New opportunity: Geographic anvil arbitrage. Sounds better than the ads I see encouraging retired seniors to supplement their income with options trading.

Cheers,
                    John
                    John Audette
                    www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Mine's from 1908 and solely for work - not a design object - but it's a pretty small one only weighing 20 kgs

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1084.jpg Views:	0 Size:	381.2 KB ID:	1974

Comment

Working...
                      X