Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, who has a car that needs painting?

Probably a longer post than necessary but there’s an opportunity here for someone.

As some of you know, I have a shop here in Austin where my guys and I (mostly my guys) restore my personal cars. It started in my garage in 2010 when I decided I wanted to be 100% in control of my projects and posted an ad on Craigslist that read “Looking for a Friendly Porsche Mechanic”. 10+ years later I find myself in a 12,000sf facility split between garage space and a fully outfitted restoration shop with multiple lifts, a paint booth, a Celette, and so forth.

My model has always been to find the best guys I can – guys who already have full-time gigs – and offer them part-time/weekend work with cool benefits (trips to the various Porsche events, etc.) and it’s worked out great. The guys I have now are both very talented and some of my best friends and I consider myself lucky to spend my weekends with them building Porsches.

As you’ve read this far, I’ll get to the point. My painter since 2018, Keith (aka
    Crankys Paint
    2.0L
    Crankys Paint) currently splits his time between building my Porsches and working for another shop here in Austin where he’s been doing vintage Ferrari restoration. Some of you may have met him at various events including the Lit Show. Keith has decided that he’d like to strike out on his own and I just happen to have a fully outfitted restoration shop that sits mostly empty during the week. You probably see where this is going.

As we’re setting Keith up to be in business for himself, we’re looking for his first victim or two. Ideally guys who want their cars done right and who know what that takes. In return for being first in the door, and being patient as Keith transitions from being a hired hand to owning his own business, you’ll get a significant discount for the quality of work being performed. My guess is you’ll pay half what you’d pay for comparable work anywhere else. And Keith doesn’t have a 2-year waiting list (yet).

If anyone is interested, or knows someone who is, we’d love to have a conversation. We’re going to be patient as we really want this to be an enjoyable experience for everyone. As for the car, Keith is interested in 911/912’s from 1965 through 1989 for his first projects. Interested parties are welcome to visit Austin and see Keith’s work on my personal cars. You won’t be disappointed.
    JP
    aka LiveFromNY
    Last edited by JP; 05-25-2022, 09:59 PM.

JP, Give me a call about painting 300357... This is a shot in the dark, but need to talk through the consideration of timing.. Best, Frank (I'll pm you my number...)

Comment

Amazing you take this attitude and supportive role. Very impressed!

Comment

For anyone considering this, I was able to visit JP's shop last summer for a PCA event and came away impressed. JP has an impressive facility with more beautiful Porsches than I have ever seen in one place (no exaggeration). It was VERY obvious that JP and his crew have an eye for detail. I almost wish my car needed paint after seeing this post.

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorJ View Post
          For anyone considering this, I was able to visit JP's shop last summer for a PCA event and came away impressed. JP has an impressive facility with more beautiful Porsches than I have ever seen in one place (no exaggeration). It was VERY obvious that JP and his crew have an eye for detail. I almost wish my car needed paint after seeing this post.
          I second this observation, first class and attention to detail. A real labour of love.

Comment

Very kind
            flat_sixer
            2.0L
            flat_sixer and
            ProfessorJ
            2.0L
            ProfessorJ. Yes, a labor of love for sure and we wouldn't be able to do it without our friends in the early 911 community.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielJ View Post
              Amazing you take this attitude and supportive role. Very impressed!
              What is it they say? Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am? In reality, I'm hardly that altruistic. The happier I can keep my guys the more of my cars that get done!

Comment

And we're still looking for that perfect first project, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post
                  And we're still looking for that perfect first project, btw.
                  1968 911L factory rally car 901/30 #11810604.....?
                  Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
                  autoforeign@gmail.com
                  67S's......

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post

1968 911L factory rally car 901/30 #11810604.....?
                    Where is that car?

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post

Where is that car?
                      Pac NW. Ordered new for a customer by my dad. I found the car in 2014. Pics below are my dad with the car "new" and one of it's owners (Rosie Grish and husband Don), and then my dad next to the car in 2014 when we picked it up in California (road trip w/ my 91yo dad and Gary Emory). I found the car at BHCC (not kidding...). It has it's matching engine still.

Only 28 of these 901/30 engine cars were built in 1968, long thread (16 pages) on them over on the old hangout, very few left w/ original engines. Mine is the only one in silver. It appears that most of not all were either rally'd (Europe) or raced on this continent in the Trans-Am series.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Don Grish car.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	3098

Click image for larger version

Name:	Don Grish new pic w dad (002).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	3099
                      Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
                      autoforeign@gmail.com
                      67S's......

Comment

Working...
                      X