X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IoM TT

Reactions of spectators from this extraordinary event need no words.

https://youtu.be/6P5fOKCG31g

For those not familiar the Isle of Man is a self-governing British Crown dependency in the Irish Sea between England and Ireland. The Isle of Man Tourist Trophy (TT) races are an annual motorcycle racing event run on the Isle of Man around May June having been held most years since the inaugural races in early 1900s. The event is regarded as one of the most dangerous racing events in the world.

Motor racing began on the Isle of Man in 1904 with the Gordon Bennett Eliminating Trial for touring automobiles. Around that time there were legal speed restrictions of 20 mph on automobiles in the UK so the Secretary of the Automobile Car Club of Britain and Ireland ( later it became the Royal Automobile Club) approached the authorities in the Isle of Man and gained permission to race automobiles on the island's public roads. Soon thereafter a motorcycle race was proposed by the Editor of The Motor Cycle magazine at the Auto-Cycle Club annual dinner held in London January 1907. The first motorcycle TT race was held late May 1907. It was organised by the Auto-Cycle Club. From those small beginnings initially building upon the (Royal) Automobile Club’s inspired idea to use the self-governing dependency’s public roads as a tourist trophy race circuit (with only the two world war years and a couple of other years being missed over the century for foot and mouth disease and more recently human pandemics) the IoM TT event grew into an extraordinary motorcycle racing spectacle.

Sadly so many fearless and talented participants lost their lives during this year’s event even by the brutal standards of this notoriously dangerous event this week has seen a terrible toll.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-11-2022, 05:42 PM.

Father and son among the five riders killed

Attached Files

Comment

Bucket list event for me but I suspect its days are numbered.

Father and son... So incredibly sad. Did the family sign on?
      Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
      Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Do they ever really sign-on?

The IoM TT senior trophy is very large styled after but not to be confused with the older one owned and awarded by the Royal Automibile Club these days for the British round of the WEC

https://www.iomtt.com/news/2007/05/24/a-racing-icon

Lot of motorsport history on the tiny 33 by 13 mile island in the Irish Sea. Old established TT races and trophies originating in the Isle of Man. The automobile and motorcycle TT, 1904 and 1907 respectively, means both precede well known races such as Indianapolis 500, 24h Le Mans, Monaco GP.

Unlike the U.K. and the Republic of Ireland on either side of the Irish sea there is generally no speed limit on the Isle of Man due to it being self governing plus it has some wonderful driving roads around the island’s road network.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 911MRP; 06-12-2022, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Not seen slow motion from 2022 yet but 2019 shows the control and balance at the limit on unforgiving public road circuit

https://youtu.be/-XqI0QMVmw8

Peter Hickman form Burton Upon Trent England is the fastest rider around the 37.73-mile Mountain Course, setting the outright lap record at 135.452mph (16m 42.778s) in the Senior TT of 2018. Video onboard of the fastest lap with commentary by Hickman:
          https://youtu.be/ju_hxwAanX0

He won it again this year also not much slower on the Superstock that is not much different from the showroom bike:
          https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8bjqut

Steve
          Last edited by 911MRP; 06-12-2022, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Given the Porsche and car interest here this maybe puts the bike in perspective. The F1 car although probably a decade old and aero design being optimised for FiA’s pinnacle circuit racing formula so isn’t really at its best for arbitrary little straight line races it does OK even with a possibly slightly rusty retired racing driver vs current in form rider. Porsche might’ve had a more competent driver but being a road car maybe less critical than the other two ?

https://youtu.be/UOgWknnvOoI

steve
            Last edited by 911MRP; 06-13-2022, 06:31 AM.

Comment

The side car accidents happened at ' Ago's Leap ', had those two accidents not happened the other two deaths would have not made much national news... I have friends living in Douglas and have in the past spectated at the Senior Races, quite exciting. The authorities are focusing on the track surface around Ago's Leap to see if the configuration may have unsettled the Side Cars, as a reason for the deaths. .As for speed limits, the Island is only posted in the buildup areas. The police have little patience with excessive speed, reckless driving or alcohol abuse. I was chatting with my friends and they feel that race will have some restrictions going forward but since it is a tradition and brings in vast amounts of tourist income, that It will continue!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Beck View Post
                Bucket list event for me but I suspect its days are numbered.
                Bucket list to attend? Or to participate?

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post

Bucket list to attend? Or to participate?
                  Participant?

That ship sailed.
                  Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
                  Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Frank, If you have an historic bike, you might qualify for the Sr Division and grid yourself in the back of the field...running that course is magical*" ! One or two laps, sail in with a 'mechanical' and have those memories forever!
                    * I have only done it in a car with friends, but once you see the various twist and turns, you will be amazed the dangers and wonder why they all don't crash..

Comment

Enjoy the skill and bravery evident in these various (older) clips https://youtu.be/u2SQjfocuq8

The Isle of Man with it’s special status as a self governing British Crown dependency nestling in the Irish sea between England and Ireland has a very special place in the history of motorsport and hard to top still as a place for appreciating mankind in harmony with a racing machine.
                      Last edited by 911MRP; 08-01-2022, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Aussie24
                        Aussie24
                        Aussie24 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Years ago when we first visited Douglas, I asked our host to describe the IOM, his reply " A small Island in the Irish sea with sixty thousand drunks clinging to the rocks"

Some guys are just crazier than others. I really admire their love for this event, hope it doesn't go away. Sort of what makes us human, the disregard for the laws of physics or self preservation for a kick of adrenaline.

Comment

Working...
                      X