Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile of a Mass Shooter?

This is scary.

I have a friend who is a successful businessman. He was an Olympic skier and a bright guy. He and his wife are both people of faith and both work hard.

They have a son in his early twenties who lives with them. He is of normal intelligence (at least) but he has never held a job. He never went to college. He's never had a date. He is not involved in sports or physical activity. He plays computer games 7/24 in his room (many, if not most, of a violent nature). He helps minimally around the house. Why haven't his parents exerted more control? I absolutely don't know.

Think of it... This poor person has no values of any value. He has never experienced the satisfaction of having to work for something. He has never experienced helping team mates succeed. He has never experienced the satisfaction of completing a difficult task. He has never experienced the satisfaction of overcoming a physical challenge. He has never experienced the satisfaction of over coming discomfort and pain to complete a task. He has never experienced the satisfaction of helping someone in need.

He is sub-human. It's only natural that he would hate people who have achieved some level of humanness, not to mention manhood.

Is this where these pathetic shooters come from? Is there anything that society can do about it? There's an entire generation of them out there and their misdeeds may just be getting started. We desperately need a spiritual reawakening. Defining more genders ain't going to do it.
    jaudette3
    Really?
    Last edited by jaudette3; 07-09-2022, 06:23 PM.
    John Audette
    www.911bestinclass.com

Great start John. This topic should be discussed more.

The first question that came to me is: How serious a conversation have you had with your friend?

This is where it has to start. Getting into one another's lives and asking serious and very hard questions. Unfortunately my experience has been that many men are ill-equipped and simply not willing to be asked deeply personal questions by other men. They would much rather deal on a meaningless, superficial level which is safe and non-threatening.

It doesn't surprise me at all that children are growing up with no moral compass and a complete disrespect of fellow man. Fathers are a huge part of the solution.
    Frank Beck
    Banned
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 07-09-2022, 07:16 PM.
    Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
    Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

He's not that kind of friend. It's a fine line isn't it? We want to do our part to tilt the world away from evil and toward good, but there's a privacy line there that has to be respected. Especially when you're talking to someone about their family. I usually have a lot of theories (way too many) but I'm at my wits end when it comes to an issue of this sort. If we were at the same church I might go to their minister or priest but even that seems like meddling.

I know we have to try but our society is in such rapid decay that it's like the boy with his finger in the dike. Except no one was shooting at him.

It's come to this... Last Sunday in church I was giving people around me advice on a plan to follow if they heard shots. We discussed the best escape route. Can you believe it ?!?! Is this the country we grew up in, the United States of America?
      jaudette3
      Really?
      Last edited by jaudette3; 07-09-2022, 08:25 PM.
      John Audette
      www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Privacy line? Nope. Not for me.

I would much rather chance offending someone than see innocent people become victims or stand by and be complicit in the self destruction of another human being.

As for churches being prepared for targeted attacks? Commonplace for the last 10-15 years for members to carry and be well trained to neutralize threats. Nothing new at all. Shameful but it’s the fallen world we live in.
        Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
        Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

remember:
          if we did something „wrong“, our parents did punish us in the most extreme form with house arrest!!
          total horror…not to be allowed to go outside!!

nowadays: they dont want to leave the house! they stay at home?!! deliberately!!???they donnot want to meet friends…do anything outside…..

and yes…confrontation with children is mostly evaded by the parents…

erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Some of the hands off approach may be plain old laziness and self-centeredness. Love is hard work and requires *commitment*. I'm certainly not going to lecture lecture on the topic of love but I do believe that I understands a bit about it. My wife and I just celebrated our 55th wedding anniversary and from a position of strong faith she has taught me a lot along the way. It might help if folks would value their family above material objects. When you reach a certain age you realize that our culture is a con. A constant game based of tweaking our egos, need for status, and need for immediate gratification. Fancy stuff ain't bird poop. Prestige ain't bird poop. Status ain't bird poop. They've programmed us to be like the carrot and stick cartoon.

​
            While folks are focused on the carrot, there's no room in their field of vision for the kids who are babysat by screens. Men have always had plenty of ego of course. But I believe that acquisitiveness has increased greatly over generations as media has become increasingly pervasive and increasingly persuasive.

I do think that the parents are the answer. But when 75% of the American economy is consumer spending we are fighting tsunamis of cultural influence and power when we try to change things. We need an awakening of some kind but those who beat those drums are always belittled and criticized. Maybe the impending economic collapse will help to restore perspective.

FWIW. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
            jaudette3
            Really?
            Last edited by jaudette3; 07-10-2022, 02:51 PM.
            John Audette
            www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Unfortunately, these days, success is only measured by how much money you have accumulated. who are the heroes, Musk, Bezos, Jobs, Trump, Ellison, Boris?
              Not exactly family guys. Singularly focussed on themselves.

Comment

Every family has its secrets and it’s troubles. Nowadays I read that it is mainly young boys raise with no father, no male influence in their lives that are becoming radicalized in our heavily polarized society. Public schools are doing a number on our kids as well, in my view.
                I would say to the OP, if you are that concerned about this young man, you must make an offer to assist, or at a minimum make some overture to your friend that lets him know could help if he asked.

Comment

I have two dear friends who have bi-polar sons. I have tried to help with the one closest to me, tough sledding. The meds knock him out, and he mixes them with alcohol which makes his behavior very aggressive. Off alcohol he is bright and sweet but sleeps at all hours. It has been really tough on the family.
                  There is more mental illness out there than we realize.
                  The other lives in France and has the benefit of their national healthcare, he doesn't take his meds due to the side effects, but the healthcare system helps him lead a semi normal life.
                  Society makes its choices and must live with them.

Comment

You're right. I'm going to talk with the father. Many of us have a limited sphere of influence and God's work is done one person at a time. If you look at it from a different angle it's the age old story of how to help a spoiled brat become a man. The big difference today of course is the ubiquitous presence of screens where they can live an all too real alternative reality. In the old days they went into the Marines but that's a tough sell today. One thought I had is to take the boy out on a rigorous camping trip where you are deprived of modern crap. Make it real, take at least a couple weeks and go into the deep wilderness.

This is a common problem, there most be many remedies being tried. I'm going to do a little research and have a couple of beers with my friend.
                    John Audette
                    www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

I just heard an intriguing (and worrisome) comment by Jordan Peterson: "Virtualization enables psychopathy.". https://youtu.be/6NiIiR6En-M
                      John Audette
                      www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

yes, and really who did not know what face book and such would bring
                        trouble is those that we gave the power to have step back and let it rip.

Comment

Interesting observation I saw a few days ago:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7502.png
Views:	201
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	8805

Comment

Working...
                          X