X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI & AGI - Approaching Sentience?

I brought this up in the stupid culture thread and think it deserves its own serious thread. AI and especially AGI are going to have greater influence on our lives over, especially the younger among us, than any other issue. And just about no one is talking about it. The technology itself is complicated but the subject not so much. It does open up issues that we don't talk about much, if at all, such as things like machine sentience and civil rights for AI machines. Another aspect that I find interesting is that these machines are making most human beings obsolete in the context of work, both labor and thinking. What are we going to do with tens of millions unemployed people? Also, historically, those who owned the tools of production have garnered most of the wealth. Is ownership of intelligent and sentient machines going to be confined to a few powerful people, to the government maybe. Another issue is warfare. Who is accountable for the damage done by autonomous machines?

There are some good videos out there and I'll start things off by sharing one about the Google employee who was suspended because his interactions with an AI machine caused him to believe that it was a sentient being.

https://youtu.be/2856XOaUPpg

The internet has profoundly changed the world but the technology is primitive. It's just databases and communication. Producing sentient beings with AI and AGI is a whole new ballgame. We all need to know something about this so we can talk to, and perhaps counsel, our grandchildren.
    John Audette
    www.911bestinclass.com

DALL-E 2 Draw a picture of a Napoleon cat holding cheese.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-08-22 (18).png Views:	0 Size:	898.3 KB ID:	7242

How about a Salvador Dali?

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-08-22 (11).png Views:	0 Size:	879.5 KB ID:	7243
    John Audette
    www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Yes . that's a great link.
      having grown up in the bay area and having an older brother that literally wrote the books on Unises, Taught at Cal and worked for Stanford, gave seminars to Texas instruments, orical, Packard and The US government, Italian .and German government and financial institutions.
      my mind has been very open and positive for technology.
      back in early 1980 i went to one of those invention help companies and pitched an idea that the plans for a job site would be broadcast by FM radio to the console of the bulldozer's, blades and excavators' And the operations needed for each step would be programed. I dropped it because i believed Trimble would have been all over it. And i had a sense that the technology was not being rolled out for political reasons. It was not until 2000 that i saw construction equipment running off GPS and it still was not running with a software that would perform the operations as needed. I don't understand why technology is so often wasted. I realy believe that health care for example has been sand bagging for decades....
      but............. yes, sentience is real...
      you can argue that is a conflict in terms
      if you have a pet you know that they learn feelings and emotions that pair up with ours.
      an Ehuman is feasible.
      no farts..........

Comment

Bob.... I'm a little concerned that humans might end of as pets. And I've thought of dogs being sentient all of my life. I've always been shocked by how we humans tend to under estimate animals.

I signed up for the waiting list on DALL-E 2 - it's open AI. It generates those pictures from scratch in 10 seconds.
        John Audette
        www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

cool.....
          Yea ...The chant will be "We don't need no stinking DNA."
          the under estimating comes primarily by those self-serving soles that start with a capital C

Comment

Here's an interview with "Einstein" using MPT3 AI. The interviewer is a real person and the answers are generated by an AI. This was March, 2021 and MPT3 is much advanced since then. It's capable of writing news articles, it's part of the process to produce the pictures I posted above, and it can take a complex topic such as bitcoin and explain it in simple terms.

https://maraoz.com/2021/03/14/einstein-gpt3/

One viewer of this video posted the following:

Sourish Saha
            2010: say good bye to minimum wage job
            2021: say good bye to high paying technical jobs
            2045: Good bye to jobs
            2070: Good bye to humans

I said in an earlier post that in my opinion a major part of the problem with today's world is complexity. We experience more stimuli in a week than our ancestors used to experience in a lifetime. Human beings simply don't have the brain power to absorb any meaningful amount of the voluminous information produced in one and many don't have the aptitude to synthesize the information they do absorb. That leaves many confused and afraid (a common form of defense is to adopt a rigid framework, aka an ideology). AI's don't have these limits.

The average adult can read 300 words per minute. With roughly 400 words fitting on a page of office paper, this means it takes more than 2 hours to read a 100-page document. Two years ago an AI platform running on NVIDIA GPUs read and analyzed a 100-page document in 2.4 seconds. Speeds are much, much faster today as computer technology continues to grow exponentially, assisted by the way, with AI's. Learning AI's write their own code - and their developers are often unable to find it. So we're already getting to the point where we cannot fully analyze what is running an AI.

Anyway, I enjoy writing about this most important topic because it helps me learn more about it and concentrate my thoughts. If there is no interest here maybe I'll just keep a personal log.

jaudette3
            Really?
            Last edited by jaudette3; 08-23-2022, 08:53 AM.
            John Audette
            www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Working...
            X