X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late lunch musings... , soup, song, Packard

Having a late lunch (locally made chili) w/ some Buddy Miles coming out of some new/small/amazing Sonus speakers (but it's an LP on my Tecnics SL-210), reading Jay Leno in Octane (my favorite car mag). Also playing a little fetch in the office/workshop with the puppy Otis... (2 yo brindle Boxer of my son Andy that I puppy-sit).

Jay is opining how the Packard was a precursor to what happened to the US auto industry in the 70's... but the engineers (according to Leno) and marketers were eventually able to bring the US back. Packard was very interesting.. they were the first with true mass air conditining, a real steering wheel, the first production V12 engine, and they built the American version of the Rolls Royce Merlin V12 for the P51 Mustang. The Packards had an amazing self leveling suspension in their last 2 years of production (55-56), and a pair of chassis-linked torsion bars that tied the fron and wheels together (that managed "pitch" which was an issue with a problem with large American cars of the 50's).

It's a good article, not sure if it's online.

A very good childhood friend of my dad's that lived locally in our neighborhood in Seattle was a Packard collector starting in mid 70's. I would go by on occasion and he would let me in to look at these giant cars and tell me a bit about them. He was a bit of a character, had worked for the State Dept overseas for many years (not really sure what he did, and he would never talk about it), and his later years (he only passed a couple of years ago) I would search eBay for him to find some oddball parts. Not long after he passed, his niece asked me to help the family with moving the cars along to other collectors. Well, I thought he only had the few that I had seen over the years in the garage at the commercial property he owned... not so! He had managed to collect 65 Packards! A man after my own heart. We managed to find a few longtime Packard guys that took the whole lot of cars and parts...., I can only imagine how they felt. I'd love to find a treasure trove of Porsche parts/cars like that....

Ok, time to take Otis out to drag me down the street, and then back to assembly of Bi-iodes and headlight assemblies (I'm wayyyy behind).

cheers,
    E
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Otis.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	7835
    Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
    autoforeign@gmail.com
    67S's......

Looks like Otis is not a Packard fan and doesn't give two shits about your chili. Either produce the leash or his gonna dime you out to his boss when he comes to collect him. "Grandpa wouldn't take me out".

Comment

Otis is "spoiled rotten"....., by all members of the family. He actually only listens to the boss. He's partial to Subaru's (3 of them in the family). He doesn't bark, I've only noted it twice. Once when there was a crazy woman in the parking lot and he sensed my attention to the situation (he yelped twice). The other was yesterday.. I was out of view from him in the workshop/office area, and I had a friend stopping by to pick up a set of hood mount rally lights (Mauricio, "beetle08" on the other forum), and Otis barked when he heard him coming down the outside stairway, a full throated bark (never heard that from him). So, we kinda think Otis will do something other than lick a person to death if we are threatened. Otis was his usual "over the top friendly" to Mauricio, just as he is to anyone who comes into the office/home/on the street etc. etc. His favorite two people are the UPS and USPS drivers as they have treats for him...he even sits right down when he sees Beth our UPS driver, she has him trained.
      Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
      autoforeign@gmail.com
      67S's......

Comment

Good looking dog. We have a small pug who titles himself the Sheriff of Glen Afton (our development). Barks his head off when anybody goes by. At first we thought he was trying to tell them to keep moving. Have learned that he is really trying to call people to get their attention. Absolutely loves a pat pat. Tells me he wants to be a Trrenton City Cop. Totally crestfallen when my stepson who is a Lieutenant with the City force told him that he was to small to qualify. Submitting applications to become a mall cop now

Comment

Working...
        X