X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crypto Currencies

I don't know if anyone here cares about crypto currency but I just can't hold off any longer. The FTX collapse is a BFD and I'm amazed at how little coverage there is in the left leaning mainstream media. The NYT interviewed FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried (know as SBF which now those in the crypto community say stands for Steal, Bankruptcy, Fraud) following the collapse and there were all softball questions, nothing about the fraud. They concluded by asking him if he was getting enough sleep.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-11-17 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	8515

This is a classic Ponzi Scheme. The remarkable thing is that it was pulled off by 10 kids living in a $40M penthouse in the Bahamas in a polyamory arrangement. It's hard to believe that they faked out almost everyone. Sequoia Capital invested, and lost, $200m. On the initial pitch call that SBF made to them he was playing a video game during the call. Then of course you have Kevin O'Leary (Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank), Jim Cramer (he's an idiot of course), Tom Brady, etc., etc. as advocates and investors. I suppose it will blow up in the MSM eventually as losses are thought to be as high as $40B (that's a B), putting it in the Madoff league of con's. And it will be a movie someday,

And how about crypto generally? Other than the obviously phony and crazy NFT's, what about crypto currency. At a conference in Abu Dhabi in the UAE, here is what Noriel Roubini, the grouchy NYU economics professor who some call Dr. Doom (he accurately predicted the 2007-2008 crash) has to say:

There are “seven Cs of crypto”: “Concealed, corrupt, crooks, criminals, con men, carnival barkers,”

Not sure how he really feels. He went on to say:

“The lesson of the last few weeks is these people should be out of here. I can’t believe that CZ (Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao) and Binance have a license to operate in the UAE. He's banned in the U.K. He's under investigation by the U.S. Justice Department for money laundering. He was here on this stage and has residence in this country...He's a walking time bomb.”

When adults like Roubini are critical of crypto, the supporters, who are usually more or less kids, dismiss them with the comment "You're a boomer. You just don't get it." Has growing up in the Digital Age addled their brains and divorced them from reality? Can they differentiate between real and digital? Is there a difference?

So. Is crypto a revolutionary step in economics that will eliminate fiat currency. Or is all just a con for the ages? What do you think?
    jaudette3
    Really?
    Last edited by jaudette3; 11-17-2022, 11:21 AM.
    John Audette
    www.911bestinclass.com

the block chain technology was supposed to be the real value/invention of this bit coin thing.
    i never dove into the block chain theory but had a general idea that they believed it was secure without regulation because the "actors" in the chain had every reason for it to succeed.
    I never bought into it because i do not believe "man" can be 100% true and trustworthy. Always there will be a bad apple
    I have to expect that the big boys invented derivative contracts to exploit the bubble just as they did the real estate bubble and when that is exposed it will be interesting.
    Also... keep your eyes open on the spac's... They were allowed to be sold to the public with next to no oversite that a "real" equity would have to go thru.......

Comment

Derivatives are like a hand gun, an instrument that provides 'safety' when properly used... I had a Reinsurance Co in the T&C and traded in financial derivatives for currency fluctuations, mostly flat contracts that only hedged the spread...sometimes I won and sometimes I had to cover the short side... like a hand gun the risk needs to be understood.. Neither are 'evil', only the operator holding the instrument!

Comment

My prediction is that the good crypto currencies (ethereum, bitcoin) will stay around and eventually their value will increase to what they were post crypto crash or even increase. The lesser coins (doge, etc) will fall to the wayside as seen here with FTX.

Comment

Yes, that is reasonable.
          when things were flying high, I had a feeling that we were having another event like back in 1975 when gold first approached $900 and silver went to $50.
          It looked/felt the same.
          So could we see bitcoin not see another high for 20 years or so... silver still has not gotten back to $50.
          Yet palladium that bottomed at $250 or so, is now at $2000

Comment

Originally posted by bob joyce View Post
            Yes, that is reasonable.
            when things were flying high, I had a feeling that we were having another event like back in 1975 when gold first approached $900 and silver went to $50.
            It looked/felt the same.
            So could we see bitcoin not see another high for 20 years or so... silver still has not gotten back to $50.
            Yet palladium that bottomed at $250 or so, is now at $2000
            We agreed on something!!!
            Mark this down in your calendar Bob

Comment

Interestingly, after a long hiatus, gold is moving.
              John Audette
              www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Good video on the FTX con. Especially if you are amused by dry Brit humor as I am.

https://youtu.be/mVrMpk4lGjA

John Audette
                www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

I had a small amount in bitcoin and ethereum. I tried my best to understand how either had any real value and could never find enough non-crypto fan writings to understand or trust that it wasn't anything more than gambling. I cashed out about 9 months ago, am happy I did and don't think ill reenter.

This latest FTX nonsense only strengthens my opinion that its a bit of smoke and mirrors, without much support outside of the hardcore "believers" who of course are heavily invested. Even if it comes back, I can't see much logic in it as an investment for me.

Scott

Comment

I agree. I've always been interested in finance so I've followed cryto currencies (without having a full understanding of all of the details) with interest for a while now. What really got my spidey sense tingling were NTF's. I cannot for the life of me find any legitimate value there. It actually kind of worries me as I've commented before. The X'ers who grew up in a digital world may have had their perception of reality distorted. It makes it easy to take their money with smoke and mirrors. Many believe that they are saving the world from collapse due to fiat currencies (which are in the end a Ponzi scheme after all) so they are all to willing to suspend disbelief. Interesting but worrisome at the same time. Makes me wonder is there is any connection between ultra-violent video games and the violence by the young that we see so often.
                    John Audette
                    www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

thanks for the link john. definatly amusing...
                      i thought i was the only one that remembered Gordon brown announcing that he was going to sell all of the bank of England gold
                      then when it came for him to sell it gold fell to the floor .... who would of thunk it..............

Comment

Burnt on Crypto. I have a better deal. Early 2000's dot.com stock? Or can I interest you in some Tulips? Rusty Longhood Porsche's sold as pristine and rust free?
                        Who can we trust anymore.
                        I miss the days when you looked someone in the eyes, shook hands, felt good about the deal and lawsuits where as rare as hens teeth.

Chris Pomares
                        2.4L
                        Last edited by Chris Pomares; 12-14-2022, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X