X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muppets

I know laziness and incompetence have been around since Adam blamed Eve but Covid has provided the opportunity to see new, breathtaking examples.

I present to you a set of black aluminum 911 windshield mouldings. It took 3 shipments before seeing a set that I could work with.
    Attached Files
    Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
    Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

which one did finally work out for you?

br
    haul
    erwin_loves_polo

Comment

On the positive side, competence and conscientiousness are stronger competitive advantages than they ever have ever been.

Cheers,
      John
      John Audette
      www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Beck View Post
        I know laziness and incompetence have been around since Adam blamed Eve but Covid has provided the opportunity to see new, breathtaking examples.

I present to you a set of black aluminum 911 windshield mouldings. It took 3 shipments before seeing a set that I could work with.
        damn millenials!

Comment

I'm heading out for a day of manual labor in inclement weather... so I'll not be able to give the REALLY LONG version of what I'm thinking about this issue... which would also entail multiple rabbit holes to go down.

But, I think this is potentially a production issue with inability to do QC in a meaningful way. My last 12 years of background in manufacturing essentially "small" runs of products and attempting to use original production techniques has given me the ability to understand some pitfalls. My belief is that the runs that Porsche is making to support the old cars is not necessarily any larger than what I'm doing, and it can be very difficult to get good products on a consitent basis, and much of the production entails hands on work by a human.

I'll elaborate later once I get back in and thaw out...

e
          Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
          autoforeign@gmail.com
          67S's......

Comment

Eric,

Porsche does an excellent job on production of windshield mouldings. The problem in this case is the shipping and warehouse idiots. I'm confident the mouldings arrived at the warehouse in their proper U-shape. I'm gobsmacked at the carelessness and lack of thought that it would take to make the decision that the original "shape" is not important and they can literally be folded in half for ease of packaging.
            Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
            Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Frank,
              Thanks for that update, good to know.

I guess a good portion of my diatribe/dissertation will have to be for another thread... I'll have to wait to wax eloquently about sloven manufacturers, predatory retailers, and inappreciative customers...
              Back into my basement I go to assembly a few new products that came in. New lighting stuff!
              Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
              autoforeign@gmail.com
              67S's......

Comment

Interesting discussion. I have no knowledge about production, finishing, quality control. But wondering how a producer of a product finds a manufacturer. Had my hood badge redone and at the same time asked the craft person if she could fix a dealer badge. She said it was not something she would tackle but put me onto Brightworks, Piqua, OH, 937-773-5127. The piece I wanted repaired was a Vern Hagestad dealer emblem. I had the VW version and the Porsche version. Unfortunately the last two letter of the Porsche emblem were broken off. But the VW version had the two letters I needed so I was looking for somebody to mate the two. You can see the saga and the solution here ( https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...agestad-Emblem). Some fellow Colorado enthusiasts expressed an interest in have a copy of the badge. After looking at Brightworks sitet, I realized they were out of my league. Came across James Ruther and you can see he was able to effect the mating. I made inquiry as to the cost of making some additional emblems and it amounted to $2600.00 bucks for setup. Never got to the question of individual cost for multiples. Not interested in becoming a Vern Hagestad emblem dealer so I declined the offer to manufacture. But I'm guessing that this fellow if fairly skilled at pot metal. Probably could set up production for things like grills, emblems, etc. Do you producers ever look for manufacturers like this? How fast do you look for turn around and what quantities? How do you judge actual cost if manufactured overseas and how do you do QC in those cases? Looks like I am going to have to send badge for chroming so at least two companies involved. Do you always contract for only the finished product? I know Dan Petchel had a bunch of front seals made to Targa tops. Eric: how big are your production runs? John Audette: where do you get your stuff and how big a run do you do? In sum this is all idle curiosity but interesting to me as a former ME turned lawyer. No response necessary unless interest in disclosing. Thanks

Slight edit: Can you make the manufacturer control the packaging?
                Last edited by Doigthom; 12-04-2022, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X