X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering Old Age, Evidently

I'm currently searching for a.... wait for it.... 928. I've always liked their space ship styling and big butt but (neat huh?) I was always consumed by air cooled cars. Now is the time. They are going be the next big movers in value and it's actually possible to drive one now without drawing laughter (I think - but then again ridicule is impotent after you reach a certain age).

Click image for larger version  Name:	251814_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.9 KB ID:	2161

Click image for larger version  Name:	251814_Misc_b4581637-eaa8-4251-8633-98c55405edfb_Web.jpg Views:	1 Size:	246.6 KB ID:	2164

Do you realize that the late 928GTS models are reaching six figures? Which of course doesn't affect the fundamentals of the car. They're fast, they're well balanced (50/50 - I'll miss the over steer), they look great. Of course they break a lot and they're expensive to fix, but I have a mechanic that owes me a lot of favors. I'll post it here when I find one.

Cheers,
    John
    jaudette3
    Really?
    Last edited by jaudette3; 05-17-2022, 07:05 PM.
    John Audette
    www.911bestinclass.com

You'll be happy to know that my 17 year old shop assistant is crazy about the 928's. So at least you're in youthfull company.

I've been looking as well. For my money it's gotta be a GTS 5-speed (not black) or an early car in a rare color. Both hard to find.

Good luck on your search!

Comment

I'm mostly interested in the very early, very cheap ones. Has to be stick of course. I do like the rare colors and the LSD interiors. Appropriately, as I recall they were a big favorite of drug dealers, bit of a Miami Vice car. I did come across a very reasonably priced one with a rebuilt title that had been seized from a dealer.
      John Audette
      www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

my old girlfriend worked on a bill Cosby movie. filmed in the bay area. the cars had machine gun turants on top of car....
        maybe that's what killed the car....
        Do get that cool interior...........

Comment

928's in movies:
          • Risky Business
          • Middle Age Crazy
          • Looker
          • Banzai Runner
          • AC/DC Let There Be Rock
          • Top Gear Patagonia Special
          I think the one that went into Lake Michigan in Risky Business sold at one time for around $2M.

John Audette
          www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

I was a firmly in the "928's aren't for me" camp UNTIL I drove an early OB928 (1978-1979) and I did a 180. I hunted high and low to find an all original, un-messed with OB and luckily found one about 18 months ago. It has been a busy time, getting a car that had seen very few miles in the past 30 years up to par but I have to say, WOW! I really love this car. It is NOT an early 911 by any means but it doesn't' need to be. It has a strong Porsche DNA and very admirable qualities that I am quite smitten with. In fact I am elbows deep attempting to get it ready to take to the Porsche Parade in just a few weeks. For me I find the early 928 to feel much more akin to the qualities I like in a Porsche: light, revvy, light and direct steering and bank vault like build quality. I have a beautiful 928S4 in my shop at the moment and while it is technically "better" in all categories, it feels firmly like a GT more akin to a Porsche interpretation of a Mercedes S-Class than a sports car. Somehow the early cars feel just right to me. I am sure others might disagree.... I would HIGHLY recommend one, but if you think it is hard to find an original Long Hood, original nice early 928's are unicorns!
            Here is my HellBlau 79 5-speed, 100% original:​​​​​​​
            Click image for larger version

Name:	G-Body Background - 1 (1).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	2172 Click image for larger version

Name:	G-Body Background - 2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	2173 Click image for larger version

Name:	G-Body Background - 3.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	2174

Comment

Great looking car! Love, love, love the color. And then it's great to drive. What's not to like?
              John Audette
              www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

John & others.

Right on for 928’s ! unfortunately just sold my 79 Oak Green Metallic , Cork interior, stick of course.

Click image for larger version  Name:	55B2020F-BD21-483D-A15F-678FBF61157D.jpg Views:	68 Size:	154.9 KB ID:	2178 Click image for larger version  Name:	55B2020F-BD21-483D-A15F-678FBF61157D.jpg Views:	67 Size:	154.9 KB ID:	2184 Click image for larger version  Name:	7CF71A6D-DF73-4C4B-B8DD-780EA33BAE15.jpg Views:	67 Size:	131.5 KB ID:	2179 Click image for larger version  Name:	6866A02E-F248-4906-A614-F1756DC1A353.jpg Views:	69 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	2180 Click image for larger version  Name:	99ACD09E-F60B-4AD5-B42E-B7315E1D62FC.jpg Views:	69 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	2181 Click image for larger version  Name:	175EFD5E-2986-48A1-B18C-B81835091559.jpg Views:	67 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	2182 Click image for larger version  Name:	1B93CD52-CF0D-49D6-86B7-E69B6F0A549C.jpg Views:	66 Size:	123.3 KB ID:	2183

54K original miles bought from original owners.

Sorry for disorganized photos but thought you guys wound appreciate some of-the really cool details.
                ADMIN
                Administrator
                Last edited by ADMIN; 05-21-2022, 09:28 PM.

Comment

lol. You guys keep drinking the Kool Aid.
                  An early 928 is a stretched Pacer with a sluggish V8. Before one gets smitten by the fat girl in the bar after a few drinks... drive one. Nuf said.
                  Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
                  Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

One of the things that I love about Frank is that he is always certain and sometimes right. Reminds me of my Master of the Universe phase. Life eventually pounded that out of me. Maybe Frank will be more fortunate. I say that with kindness.
                    John Audette
                    www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Absolutely no offense taken John.

I can be a dumbazz with the best of 'em and certainly the first to admit what I don't know but am very confident of what I do know.

Early 928s? Like a very spirited Brontosaurus.
                      But I get it; some people love big, slow dinosaurs.

Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
                      Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

In my early stockbroker days I expressed my thoughts on some financial manner to a wealthy client, ending with an insecure "in my opinion". He said "you wouldn't be of any use to me if you didn't have opinions". No more qualifiers after that. People yearn for strong leaders and there is no leadership with equivocation. A leader takes a position and gets over the next hill.
                        jaudette3
                        Really?
                        Last edited by jaudette3; 05-18-2022, 09:51 AM.
                        John Audette
                        www.911bestinclass.com

Comment

Originally posted by CVLC View Post
                          I was a firmly in the "928's aren't for me" camp UNTIL I drove an early OB928 (1978-1979) and I did a 180. I hunted high and low to find an all original, un-messed with OB and luckily found one about 18 months ago. It has been a busy time, getting a car that had seen very few miles in the past 30 years up to par but I have to say, WOW! I really love this car. It is NOT an early 911 by any means but it doesn't' need to be. It has a strong Porsche DNA and very admirable qualities that I am quite smitten with. In fact I am elbows deep attempting to get it ready to take to the Porsche Parade in just a few weeks. For me I find the early 928 to feel much more akin to the qualities I like in a Porsche: light, revvy, light and direct steering and bank vault like build quality. I have a beautiful 928S4 in my shop at the moment and while it is technically "better" in all categories, it feels firmly like a GT more akin to a Porsche interpretation of a Mercedes S-Class than a sports car. Somehow the early cars feel just right to me. I am sure others might disagree.... I would HIGHLY recommend one, but if you think it is hard to find an original Long Hood, original nice early 928's are unicorns!
                          Here is my HellBlau 79 5-speed, 100% original:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	G-Body Background - 1 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.0 KB ID:	2172
                          Damn! That's beautiful. But I need to be clear. I'm not sure how much longer we can maintain this friendship if you keep buying all the cars that I'm clearly meant to own.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Beck View Post
                            lol. You guys keep drinking the Kool Aid.
                            An early 928 is a stretched Pacer with a sluggish V8. Before one gets smitten by the fat girl in the bar after a few drinks... drive one. Nuf said.
                            Frank, you're killing me.... if you would have asked me that same question 19 months ago I would have not only 100% agreed with you but doubled down on a diatribe about how much I dislike the 928... Either I have lost all sense of reality and the beer goggles are in full effect OR sometimes you can discover you were wrong. At least for me I just hadn't driven the right 928 configuration that spoke to me....

With that said would I ever have it INSTEAD of one of my early 911's??? No, No and Hell No.... As a complement to, absolutely!

Hell, I even got JP all hot and bothered, almost as much as he got when he started talking about Subaru XT's....

Comment

For long drives, hard to beat a 928. Maintenance costs are very high. Way better car than the MB 450SL of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X