X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new member intro

Hello! I am new to Porsche but not new to old car restoration so I will be hanging around this forum to learn what I can. Late last year, my business partner and I acquired a numbers-matching '66 911 project for a price we really couldn't walk away from. The seller had owned the car since the mid seventies after buying it from the second owner who had bought it in Georgia in the late 60's. Cardex info points to the original owner ordering the car from Kansas. The car has been disassembled and lower sheet metal has serious rot (sunroof car) although it is currently rolling on aftermarket aluminum wheels. Original color is Irish Green (6606) but is currently white. Next steps are to build a rotisserie, remove glass, suspension, and soft parts from the shell; prep for media blast. Once I get a feel for the sheet metal needs, I will start a new thread asking advice about vendors.

Looking forward to the journey!
    midyrcoupe

welcome ... enjoy your project.

Comment

Welcome! Be sure to post some pics so we can see your project!

Comment

We haven't done much since we brought it home. Here are some overall pics and pics showing the PO's DIY floor pans that I have since removed. The engine (seen in one of the overall pics) was kept inside by the PO and spins freely. Engine and trans numbers match cardex.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	rocker_ds_4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.5 KB ID:	10798 Click image for larger version  Name:	overall_frt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.3 KB ID:	10799 Click image for larger version  Name:	overall_rear.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.9 KB ID:	10800 Click image for larger version  Name:	overall_ds_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.8 KB ID:	10801 Click image for larger version  Name:	overall_ds_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.5 KB ID:	10802 Click image for larger version  Name:	overall_rear_qtr.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.4 KB ID:	10803 Click image for larger version  Name:	overall_frt_qtr.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.0 KB ID:	10804 Click image for larger version  Name:	prevowner_floorpan_5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.4 KB ID:	10805 Click image for larger version  Name:	tunnel_ps_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.3 KB ID:	10807
        Attached Files
        midyrcoupe
        2.0L
        Last edited by midyrcoupe; 05-25-2023, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Happy New Owner, Day 0. Had to put wheels on and take it off blocks to put it on the trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5387.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	10809

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5393.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	10811 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5386.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	10812
            Better photo of the engine.

Comment

You’re in the right place with the right people. Great project.
              If it came out of KS originally, probably would have been through Art Bunker’s dealership in Kansas City. He was quite the P-car racer back in the day.
              Those look like McAfee wheels. Cool on SWB cars and 356’s.

Comment

You have your work cut-out for sure. Restoration Design in Guelph, Canada makes some good panels, thickness on some of their panels is a little thicker than some of the factory metal. This won't be a problem for a competent body guy who specializes in restoration. Nice Tundra by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by sebaroher View Post
                  You have your work cut-out for sure. Restoration Design in Guelph, Canada makes some good panels, thickness on some of their panels is a little thicker than some of the factory metal. This won't be a problem for a competent body guy who specializes in restoration. Nice Tundra by the way!
                  Yep, I have already bookmarked them. I was impressed with their video's on YouTube showing their approach and process. Thanks!

Comment

No raised hub on the wheels. Probably actually Gurney replicas of the McAfee. Also fairly rare and cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Doigthom View Post
                      No raised hub on the wheels. Probably actually Gurney replicas of the McAfee. Also fairly rare and cool.
                      Yes, you are correct!

Comment

Yikes. You are a brave Soul for sure. If you can bring that car back to like new condition you'll have my respect for sure. Enjoy the process. Pictures, pictures, and more pictures please.

Comment

Good luck. Sunroof car will be great when done.

Scott

Comment

Since bringing it home, not much has been accomplished. Here are some general images as well as images of the DIY floor pans made by the PO, which I have since removed. The PO retained the engine inside, where it can be seen in one of the overall photos, and it spins freely. Matching cardex engine and trans numbers.

Comment

This is great reading to me I was working and suddenly I visits your site frequently and recommended it to me to read also. Thanks to sharing
                              Same day Courier Edinburgh

Comment

Working...
                              X