Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Opinion Please. What data should we be collecting in the Registry?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Opinion Please. What data should we be collecting in the Registry?

Guys,

Now that we’re off and running, I’m starting to think about the data we’re collecting on cars in the Registry. Right now we’re collecting (if available):

VIN
    Year
    Model
    Body style
    Paint color
    Interior color
    Engine number
    Transmission number
    Build date

We’re getting a lot of data. Nearly 100% of owners know and submit their original paint and interior colors. Maybe 50% know and submit their engine/transmission numbers. Maybe a third know their build date. It’s better than I anticipated. Of course, some of us want even more.

I’ve had roughly 9,206 calls and emails about the data we collect and there are a lot of people who would like to submit more information about their cars. Specifically, popular options. And sometime less popular options. I’m certainly part of this group.

But it’s complicated and I need your help.

We need to make a decision about how deep we’re gonna dive. And it’s not as simple as “let’s ask for everything!”. A rule of data collection is that the more information you require, the less people are going to participate. In my Internet world, we call this our conversion rate. If we ask for too much data, less people will complete the registration process and we’ll convert less members to registered-car-members. We need to keep this simple or we’ll be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Bottom line, we need to decide. What are the options that we REALLY want to track so that we can use the data in the future. Ideally, the magic number is 5 (unless you guys can convince me otherwise). That is, I’d like to limit the options we track to 5 per car (in addition to what we already collect). We can (probably) do this by year. In other words, the 5 options we choose for 1965 cars can (probably) be different than the 5 options we choose for 1973 cars.

Some are obvious. Like sports seats for 1967-73 cars. Some are less so. Is anyone really going to search Sportomatics in the future? I honestly don’t know.

I’m really hoping a lot of you jump in on this thread as so many of you are more knowledgeable (though less handsome) than I am. We only get to do this one time and the decisions we make today will affect this new Registry for years to come.

So then, please share, what options do YOU want us to collect?

So, as I understand it, these options will be used to let us sort cars in the registry? For example, I could ask to see all cars with sport seats? Or all 1973 cars with sport seats?

If that's the case, the options I'd be most interested in:

Sunroof
    AC
    Electric windows
    Above/below bumper fogs

Comment

Is it possible to edit our info?

Comment

Originally posted by flatsixer View Post
        Is it possible to edit our info?
        What info?

Comment

Would it make more sense to allow people to upload their cardex, CoA, or dave report? At some point google will get good enough to provide pdf & image parsing that will allow the data to be put into a database, plus less effort? But maybe more scope for restamps?

Comment

Originally posted by rick71T View Post
            Would it make more sense to allow people to upload their cardex, CoA, or dave report? At some point google will get good enough to provide pdf & image parsing that will allow the data to be put into a database, plus less effort? But maybe more scope for restamps?
            We should probably have that ability in 50 years or so. Unfortunately I'll be dead by then so it'll be hard for me to provide any help!
            ADMIN
            Administrator
            Last edited by ADMIN; 05-23-2022, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I think it would be handy to include year purchased or years owned in the case of a car someone might not own any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post

What info?
                Add info not previously included

Comment

Originally posted by flatsixer View Post

Add info not previously included
                  On a submitted car? Sure. Your cars will be under "My Profile" at the top right of any non-forum page.

That help?

Comment

Giving the opportunity for a registry entry to select 5 options from a drop down list should be more than enough. Let the person select and they will naturally pick those items most important to THEM.. Would be interesting snapshots even with non owned random submissions. It provides insight not only into the options cars ended up with (which was 90% marketing selection anyway) but, also an interesting look at what we think are the 'hot tickets' today. That should also weed out those generic items listed as 'options' when they were really standard equipment for a particular model or market.

Having the majority of the options in a drop down menu should be pretty easy and limiting each entry to five will keep the database size down. Search functions' precision will need to be communicated unless you intend to include drop down menu selection for filtering. In which case, again, the search terms can be 'predetermined' which will cut down on missed data because of individuals' language in describing their options..

Heck, you can cut down on one option just through a model designation,,, Coupe vs sunroof coupe.

Comment

You could really get fancy with auto population of option codes based on the model year and option selected. Now that look up table would really need to be vetted prior to being added to the database.

Comment

Originally posted by 70SATMan View Post
                        You could really get fancy with auto population of option codes based on the model year and option selected. Now that look up table would really need to be vetted prior to being added to the database.
                        Ha! Tell me about it. Part of the problem, quite frankly, is the mess of the available data. Just getting the VIN's straight took time and I don't think there's a reasonable way to get ball the options listed without creating chaos that I don't have the bandwidth for. Lots of disputes, mystery options, odd translations, one-offs, and on and on. I really want to focus on what's most important and let people use the comment section to explain anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post
                          Is anyone really going to search Sportomatics in the future? I honestly don’t know.
                          Gearbox number should tell you whether a car has one. Based on your comment, I wonder if you will get more than one car so equipped in your registry.

Comment

A drop down of option codes by year... don't make mandatory, but if people know, then they can include...

It would be interesting for analysis... E.g. how many cars with sport seats or LSDs or electric windows or factory AC or stabilisers, etc...

would make it interesting to really be able to see how rare a particular car might be... E.g. I had a 73 T, that came with factory installed S front and RS rear spoiler... How many of those were there?

Comment

Working...
                            X