Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Collection remainder on Sothebys, OMG!!!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JP View Post

I went down on preview day. Quite the spectacle all that white in a white building. Only cars on display though. No parts.
    Hey JP! Buy anything good?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveRo View Post

Hey JP! Buy anything good?
      Hey, Dave.

Bought a ton of tools/parts/etc. I went there interested in 3 cars: the 1974 Carrera RSR, the 911SC Martini Edition and the 1958 Speedster. All went sideways on me.

The '74 RSR was really a huge disappointment and not very well done (IMHO and in the opinion of virtually everyone I met who was seriously interested in the car). It went unsold and didn't get close to the estimate.

The Martini 911SC was also a disappointment. It was described as a 29k-mile, original paint car but they neglected to mention that much of the paint was peeling off in fist-sized pieces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	72305847847__6F99E078-84A7-4FED-B77E-B99E4E492FE6.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	12506

That's a photo of the roof. Even worse, the photos on the RM website were carefully taken to show none of this damage. I can assure that whoever bought the car was not pleased.

As for the '58 Speedster, it was advertised as a very original, matching numbers car and it was the one car I came away thinking I might buy. But the next day as I sat at my keyboard ready to bid, the Speedster auction started like this "Next up ladies and gentleman, the 1958 Speedster. One note, upon further examination it now appears that the engine has been re-stamped. Do I hear $200,000?".

Just a few examples but overall the aircooled stuff was both underwhelming and over-promised on the website. I think that was reflected in the prices. The water-cooled stuff seemed to do well but the aircooled cars missed their estimates time after time after time.

Last photo. A 1967 911S SWT that Roy Smalley once had and that was evidently a really nice, low-mile and original car that Roy said should have never been restored. Sadly, the hood badge is all you need to see to understand the attention to detail that went into the restoration.

Name:	IMG_8746.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	12507

Straight enough for you???

Comment

I just looked at the 911SC on their website and you're right, they neglected to even mention the paint damage. That's really disappointing. I feel sorry for the new owner.

Was the preview day packed?

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post
          Ok, so perhaps it's just me as a collector of Porsche ephemera, parts, literature, collectibles, etc. etc.

To me this is "staggering"...

I had an "inside joke" with Dick Moran from Socal (he owned at one time 3 of the 911R's, mulitple 1973 911RS lightweights, etc. etc)... It went like this "Hey Dick, imagine me with your money". He understood that as I was literally constantly "broke" buying cars and parts etc (my own hobby money). So, I think I found what that would look like, and clearly it's Vinod Ramani who owned the White Collection. I knew he had a lot of "stuff", but I had no idea how much. Once again, "I'm broke", so I won't be participating in the auction....

Good luck to those who are bidding!

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/wc24

Cheers,
          Eric
          I sold Dick a 911R front hood That I bought from Vasek. He had me send it to Nate Cantwell. I had to build a plywood crate to avoid damage.

Comment

So.... Anybody spend some $ w/ Sothebys? I saw only one true great buy... a mis-described auction of 356 rocker deco which was 67S rocker deco. Went for $30 as I recall.
            Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
            autoforeign@gmail.com
            67S's......

Comment

Yeah, I went pretty nuts. Heading down Thursday to Houston with a trailer...

Comment

I should have thought of having you do that for me and then send to me.... probably better that I didn't think of that!

autoforeign@gmail.com
                67S's......

Comment

…took some of the luggage…
                  Attached Files
                  erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Originally posted by haul View Post
                    …took some of the luggage…
                    Very cool.

And my apologies. I cost you some money there...

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post

Very cool.

And my apologies. I cost you some money there...
                      That was the set I was looking at as well.... and would have been "in the hunt" but I had just spent a staggering amount of cash (that I didn't have) with Don Ahearn on some luggage just a few weeks ago.

Now I have to find a car for the luggage... This is kind of like me back in the 80's... I'd find a great tie that I liked, and then went out to find a new suit to go with it!

Looking forward to seeing some up close pics of that new luggage Haul!!

autoforeign@gmail.com
                      67S's......

Comment

JP, Eric,

I expected the sum to be higher and am happy with the result. Also I thought Chris Stavros will go after the large Volz suitcases.

the large suitcases - the G type Carrera suitcases will stay in the US, as the customs and shipment with the forwarder to EU will be crazy…..i was only after the medium sized 66 suitcase - 9238 - in addition to my shirtsuitcase - 9241 - you already do know.

I will nevertheless report back.
                        Suitcases will be picked up today…

have you any info on the small office suitcase from the white collection stash?
                        has this ever been anywhere listed?
                        Attached Files
                        haul
                        it´s easy on a triumph
                        Last edited by haul; 04-12-2024, 11:58 AM.
                        erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Originally posted by haul View Post
                          JP, Eric,

I expected the sum to be higher and am happy with the result. Also I thought Chris Stavros will go after the large Volz suitcases.

the large suitcases - the G type Carrera suitcases will stay in the US, as the customs and shipment with the forwarder to EU will be crazy…..i was only after the medium sized 66 suitcase in addition to my shirtsuitcase you already do know.

I will nevertheless report back.
                          Suitcases will be picked up today…
                          I saw them yesterday when I pickup a 12ft trailer full of parts! They're really niice pieces.
                          JP
                          aka LiveFromNY
                          Last edited by JP; 04-12-2024, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Well, I wasn't sure if the luggage that you bought Haul was what I needed for my car. Here's a picture of my 68L new (my dad is on the right, new owner on the left), and the 3 luggage pieces that came with it. There's no option number on my Kardex for which luggage I need, only a description.

I have a large suitcase that belonged to Chick Iverson, and I think it's correct for the car. I also bought two pieces from Don that have the dual handles... one on top and one on the end (rough condition) and I will put those in the the back seat. I would like to eventually find the "shirtcase", it's sitting right in front of my dad in the picture.

Perhaps you (Haul) or JP can tell what I need.

I also would have thought Chris would want to expand his collection with more luggage (and maybe he did) of the ones you bought.

Cheers,
                            Eric

PS... JP, pics or it didn't happen

Name:	20240412_114732.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	12588

autoforeign@gmail.com
                            67S's......

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post
                              PS... JP, pics or it didn't happen
                              Sadly, it did happen.

Name:	RM.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	12591

After 6 hours of drivng and 3+ hours of loading in the 90 degree Houston sun, I was too exhausted last night to unpack everything. We'll do that tomorrow and I'll post a pic when we do.

PS. Love the photo!
                              JP
                              aka LiveFromNY
                              Last edited by JP; 04-12-2024, 01:40 PM.

Comment

JP,

really curious about your precious gems you took from Houston….
                                Eric, let me check later on with the Accessory booklet and a 68 Christophorus edition, in which the luggage pieces are enclosed…
                                Have you had pics of the suitcases you have posted already?

For the G Type Carrera, please do find these factory ad pictures
                                Attached Files
                                erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Working...
                                X