X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanielJ View Post

Thank you sir. Yes, wet sand and polish with Griot's products, pads and liquids. Patience Makes The Polisher........
    Good for you. I'm always fascinated by people who can really do paint correction well. Looking forward to seeing your finished project.

Comment

i thought i was going to have to sand down and reclear the driver door,
      there were very small solvent pop looking pin holes, the only part on the car that had some.
      i decided to color sand with 8oo and soapy water using a knife sharpening stone for a block to see how deep they were. luckily, they were just a little lower that the Ambiant "orange peel' .

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1295.jpg Views:	3 Size:	128.9 KB ID:	2380
      So the door is "cut" and preliminarily "buffed' and looks fine...
      ADMIN
      Administrator
      Last edited by ADMIN; 05-20-2022, 11:50 PM. Reason: fixing a photo

Comment

Originally posted by bob joyce View Post
        i thought i was going to have to sand down and reclear the driver door,
        there were very small solvent pop looking pin holes, the only part on the car that had some.
        i decided to color sand with 8oo and soapy water using a knife sharpening stone for a block to see how deep they were. luckily, they were just a little lower that the Ambiant "orange peel' .

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCN1295.jpg Views:	3 Size:	128.9 KB ID:	2380
        So the door is "cut" and preliminarily "buffed' and looks fine...
        Interested in the level of do-it-yourself here, Bob. Are you a professional? Was this done in a booth? Looking good, btw!

Comment

Originally posted by DanielJ View Post
          And........... Prior to the start of my paint correction journey, some friends stopped by to see the car. My buddy's wife asked why Porsche would brand a car with SLUT..... Can't seem to un-see this now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2999.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	2210
          Nice work on the paint! PreA Speedster??? Interesting plate on the 911, looks like mid 60's non-reflector.
          Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
          autoforeign@gmail.com
          67S's......

Comment

Putting my factory AC bits back in after 20 years. With compressor en route from griffiths. I used to think the outlet manifold interfered with my knees but actually not too noticeable.Pics to come.

Comment

Originally posted by chiroracer View Post
              Putting my factory AC bits back in after 20 years. With compressor en route from griffiths. I used to think the outlet manifold interfered with my knees but actually not too noticeable.Pics to come.
              Looking forward to it! I have the same project ahead of me so this will be very helpful! Please start a new thread when you do!

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post

Nice work on the paint! PreA Speedster??? Interesting plate on the 911, looks like mid 60's non-reflector.
                Thank you for the comment on the paint work. A bit of a deeper dive into that old saying of “Wax-On, Wax-Off.”

Good eye on the ‘55 Speedster. It will get some love soon. That plate won’t work for the DMV. It is off my ‘62 Vette that I bought 52 yeas ago....

BTW, looked at your web-site. Nice to see another source for parts. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post

Interested in the level of do-it-yourself here, Bob. Are you a professional? Was this done in a booth? Looking good, btw!
                  well JP. it is a long complicated story.
                  i will give the short version.
                  over 40 years ago i did Porsche restorations for money (the Operating Engineers thing kicked in)
                  very high quality body and paint was easy for me. (evidenced by my current black 1961 Roadster, painted in 1999)
                  i have been retired since 2004, and i surfed and built surf boards until i got very sick in 2015.
                  a couple of compounding things lead to my main left artery to the heart was blocked 99%
                  it was not properly diagnosed until July 2017, they stented me. and instantly i knew i had a new chance to live
                  the blockage had left its effects on me. i could not talk in complete sentences and had problems negotiating the three stairs to get into my house. when i walked i dragged my feet.
                  i had done math every single day in my Engineering work and now could not even do simplest math. even my vision was effected.
                  So. I knew i had to something to engage my brain and challenge me in a way that would keep my interest.
                  So, this car was the perfect remedy. I knew i had all the talents to do it but it was trying to tap into those talents that were very hard to do.
                  I don't know how it plays into it but in 2015 i had to stop all use of petroleum type products. I would have anaphylactic type reactions. ( i even had to have others do work on my car)
                  So. incredibly the major body work was doable without incident and when i stated the refinishing phases i only experienced very slight "indicators' and i would step aside for a week or so. Thats why i am painting thigs piece ably Click image for larger version

Name:	2020.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2553 .
                  I wet down the floor and paint one thing at a time primarily. (Long winded but i got to your answer)

Comment

well JP. it is a long complicated story.
                    i will give the short version.
                    over 40 years ago i did Porsche restorations for money (the Operating Engineers thing kicked in)
                    very high quality body and paint was easy for me. (evidenced by my current black 1961 Roadster, painted in 1999)
                    i have been retired since 2004, and i surfed and built surf boards until i got very sick in 2015.
                    a couple of compounding things lead to my main left artery to the heart was blocked 99%
                    it was not properly diagnosed until July 2017, they stented me. and instantly i knew i had a new chance to live
                    the blockage had left its effects on me. i could not talk in complete sentences and had problems negotiating the three stairs to get into my house. when i walked i dragged my feet.
                    i had done math every single day in my Engineering work and now could not even do simplest math. even my vision was effected.
                    So. I knew i had to something to engage my brain and challenge me in a way that would keep my interest.
                    So, this car was the perfect remedy. I knew i had all the talents to do it but it was trying to tap into those talents that were very hard to do.
                    I don't know how it plays into it but in 2015 i had to stop all use of petroleum type products. I would have anaphylactic type reactions. ( i even had to have others do work on my car)
                    So. incredibly the major body work was doable without incident and when i stated the refinishing phases i only experienced very slight "indicators' and i would step aside for a week or so. Thats why i am painting thigs piece ably Click image for larger version

Name:	2020.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2553 .
                    I wet down the floor and paint one thing at a time primarily. (Long winded but i got to your answer)
                    Simply incredible, Bob. What a story and I hope that someday I have the honor or meeting you in person.

Comment

john. the car you would probably enjoy. but as for meeting me ... Potatoe
                      thanks for the comment.

Comment

john. the car you would probably enjoy. but as for meeting me ... Potatoe
                        thanks for the comment.
                        Think I'd really enjoy some time with you as well. We have similar interest in cars. That '61 is just plain beautiful and is right there with my '63 Cab. As for those potatoes you mentioned; we can deep fry, air fry, bake, sauteed, put them in a salad, BBQ and or put them in with sardines..............and maybe some beers too! Could be a fun day!

Name:	image-7.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	2574

Comment

WOW beautiful cab.... all sound good, me being Irish

Comment

Guys, can I come if I drive my '61 Roadster?

Name:	DSC_2028-tiny-2048x0-0.5x0.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	2583

Comment

Yes . Beautiful car JP.
                              These cars are so much fun to drive.......

Comment

Have to agree with Mr. Joyce..... Beautiful car JP and like he said, these are wonderful to drive. In fact, I'll host a gathering and invite some other friends to bring something air cooled to park in the yard while we party: Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsches On the Lawn.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	2632 Click image for larger version

Name:	356 bull session.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	2633 Click image for larger version

Name:	may 18 CC.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	2634