X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is an original 1968 inner rocker.
    the rocker was undercoated, painted body color white, then adroplast tar mat 3mm thick and then rug installed.
    I have another 1968 that was done the same way in this area.
    Attached Files

Comment

unfortunately, the other areas were so decomposed that the pictures would be virtually useless.
      It would be great if others post pictures of there 1968 sound deadening.
      i have some small evidence that the 3mm tar mat (adroplast). was on the floor as well in 1968 (or at least a dec 1967, model 1968)

Comment

Stole these from JT912. Illustrating Targa bar interior lighting but also show sound deadning material Anybody tried the Stoddard kits and if so, what result? Thasnks JT912
        Attached Files

Comment

67s during restoration
          Click image for larger version

Name:	67S sound deadening 1.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1888 Click image for larger version

Name:	67s sound deadening 2.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1889 Click image for larger version

Name:	67S sound deadening 3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1890
          Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
          autoforeign@gmail.com
          67S's......

Comment

I think materials changed over the years, Here are pictures of my floor and a heavy foam glued to rear seat area. 73S

Name:	IMG_1429.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	1981 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3960.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1982

Comment

Here's the floor of my '71 targa. The car was originally conda green but had an exterior only black maaco paint job

Name:	DSCN6637 copy.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1986
              The mat looked like it was melted to the dark primered metal floorpan, no body colored paint on the metal. But there was green paint on the upper surface of the mat. This green was then covered with black paint and carpet.

Name:	DSCN6724 copy.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1987

Comment

Thanks, rmakosaito This is a great illustration of the tar mat for 1971.
                It is clear that the 3mm tar mat is applied and it still has the smooth felt (paper) surface.
                The post by flatsixer shows his 1973 with the tar mat patterned felt surface.
                P.S. i am not 100 % sure that the 1973 patterned surface is not the result of the rugs that have a patterned backing may have imprinted the pattern.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by bob joyce; 05-15-2022, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Hi Bob,
                  It might just be the lighting in the earlier photo, but my mat had the hexagonal pattern. Here's an in-progress photo where you can clearly see the pattern on the mat to the right.

Name:	DSCN6723 copy.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1995

Comment

Great information rmakosito. I know that 1968 cars had a horsehair mat on top of the tar mat to help pad the rugs.
                    you said that your 1971 car had the rugs directly on top of the tar mat.
                    Did the rubber backing on the rugs create the imprint on the floors tar mat? (I actually think that the tar mat was imprinted as installed because the patterns ore so perfectly formed.)

Comment

Originally posted by bob joyce View Post
                      Great information rmakosito. I know that 1968 cars had a horsehair mat on top of the tar mat to help pad the rugs.
                      you said that your 1971 car had the rugs directly on top of the tar mat.
                      Did the rubber backing on the rugs create the imprint on the floors tar mat? (I actually think that the tar mat was imprinted as installed because the patterns ore so perfectly formed.)
                      Bob, don't you feel that the tar mat and the horsehair were part of the same product? And sadly I'm going strictly off of memory from multiple cars, but I felt that there was a tar/horsehair product that had a pattern that was on the floor of these cars (through what year, I'm not sure) and the rugs layed on top of that.

At this point I can put my hands on only an original floor 67, my 68's are located in storage, and that's the latest car(s) I currently have. I just looked at the 67, and definitely a tar/horsehair combo. Dimpling pattern appears to be from the back of the original rugs.

E

autoforeign@gmail.com
                      67S's......

Comment

back in the early 1970"s and 1980"s I put rugs in about a dozen 1966 -1972 911/912.
                        I cant remember any of the details. well maybe a few.
                        my reasoning for the tar mat being under the padding on the floor is that the 1968 back parcel shelf and wheel house/bulk head areas were done that way with tar mat then padding.
                        the 1971 and 1973 floors shown above have the tar mat melted to the floor, but they did not use a pad, just rugs on top.
                        So it made sense to me that they would have melted the tar mat in order to assure that there would be no voids.
                        However looking at the parts book. It shows the pairing of tar mat and padding for the parcel shelf and wheel house areas, BUT it only shows a "tar mat' on the floors.
                        So your observation matches the parts book.
                        Is it possible to show a picture if your 1967 tar mat floor?
                        I believe 1968 would be the same as 1967.
                        I am guessing this because the back parcel shelf and wheel house areas are the same as 1967

Comment

here is a picture of the rear seating area of a 1968 911L Targa. clearly the tar mat was layed down and then the horsehair Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1282.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	2152 on top...
                          CAUTION ... Viewing may inspire a tetanus shot

Comment

I'll get a pic tonight or tomorrow of the floor.
                            E

autoforeign@gmail.com
                            67S's......

Comment

As usual I guess I am asking stupid questions but I asked above if anybody had tried the Stoddard product. I note Aase also has a similar product. The advertise a synthetic horsehair mat. Did anybody use one of these kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Doigthom View Post
                                As usual I guess I am asking stupid questions but I asked above if anybody had tried the Stoddard product. I note Aase also has a similar product. The advertise a synthetic horsehair mat. Did anybody use one of these kits.
                                I'd also be interested in anyone's opinion of the kit Stoddard sells.

Comment

Working...
                                X